Excerpts from Markos Vamvakaris' Autobiography

Thanks to all, especially for this generous present from Earion. Is it possible to have all the autobiographical stuff on this thread translated into Greek? I gain a great deal from comparing parallel texts/bilingual texts. I love what has been said about him in English reviews:- 'Markos Vamvakaris is the undisputed Patriarch of Rebetiko. Out of the lowlife of the port, the brothels and hashish dens, the man and the bouzouki trod an unlikely path from disgrace to glory.' I have loved Rebetiko since I stumbled on it by accident when I first came upon the word αμάν. The translations of the lyrics are also amazing. Thanks again!

Sorry, I knew that -- 'it was compiled in 1972 by Angeliki Vellou Keil from dictated material and recorded interviews with Markos in the last years of his life. And the English translation is by Noonie Minogue'. I failed to make clear what I wanted. Please is it possible to have the Greek original of these passages to compare original to the translation.

Are we going to have the translations into English of the songs with only the Greek text? I for one would be grateful.

Earion

Staff member
... an unlikely path from disgrace to glory

Simply not true, dear Theseus. Not “to glory”. Markos’s star waned as new generations of rebetiko composers rose, and he would have died completely forgotten, were it not for a company of young rebetiko enthusiasts in the mid-sixties who sought him after and brought him again to the fore. His bitter complaint was precisely that he ended his life paling into insignificance while others were enriching themselves on his songs. He died in 1972. Glory came posthumously.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Simply not true, dear Theseus. Not “to glory”. Markos’s star waned as new generations of rebetiko composers rose, and he would have died completely forgotten, were it not for a company of young rebetiko enthusiasts in the mid-sixties who sought him after and brought him again to the fore. His bitter complaint was precisely that he ended his life paling into insignificance while others were enriching themselves on his songs. He died in 1972. Glory came posthumously.

True for many other rembetes, too, as well as many bluesmen. Such is the fate of musicians with more soul than pockets.

Όλοι οι ρεμπέτες του ντουνιά | All the rembetes in the world
εμένα μ' αγαπούνε | they all do love me truly
μόλις θα μ' αντικρίσουνε | as soon as they set eyes on me
θυσία θα γινούνε | they'll give their all just for me
|
Όσοι δε με γνωρίζουνε | The people who don't know me still
τώρα θα με γνωρίσουν | now comes the time they'll know me
εγώ κάνω την τσάρκα μου | I'm rambling anywhere I want
κι ας με καλαμπουρίζουν | and let them all just mock me
Γεια σου, ρε Μάρκο πασά μου |
Και γω φτωχός γεννήθηκα | I too was born in poverty
στον κόσμο έχω γυρίσει | the world I've travelled nearly
μέσα απ' τα φύλλα της καρδιάς | deep in the heart of hearts of mine
εγώ έχω μαρτυρήσει | I've also suffered dearly
|
Όλοι οι κουτσαβάκηδες | And all the tough guys in the world
που ζούνε στο κουρμπέτι | who in the streets are roaming
κι αυτοί μες στην καρδούλα τους | they too have deep inside their hearts
έχουν μεγάλο ντέρτι | the blues and wistful longing

Sing it.

Are we going to have the translations into English of the songs with only the Greek text? I for one would be grateful.

Patience, Theseus. Because when it comes to lyrics, I for one hate to settle for a translation that can't be sung just like the original. But this one took the better part of an hour, and time is a mean old bastard, always pressing.

Thanks for the correction by Earion & the true observation by Daeman. The songs on the forum were classics. I have a small book on the Rembetes, which is very good but clearly sketchy.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Markos’s star waned as new generations of rebetiko composers rose, and he would have died completely forgotten, were it not for a company of young rebetiko enthusiasts in the mid-sixties who sought him after and brought him again to the fore. ...

Μ' αρέσουν οι καρδιές σαν τη δική μου (I like hearts like mine)

Ντοκιμαντέρ για τον Μάρκο Βαμβακάρη, βασισμένο τόσο στην ηχογραφημένη συνέντευξη που έδωσε ο ίδιος στην Αγγελική Καλαμαρά, όσο και στις μαρτυρίες των συγγενών και των ανθρώπων που έζησαν κοντά του και δούλεψαν μαζί του.

For Theseus, the same with subtitles in English and translations of song lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4mtSvbWO4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jplJcTUUIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38CU_anfWSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnuSLi6EdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZG3JLbFXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvA0Lfk1rfE

I'll be coming round to meet you
once again by the seaside
I want you to satisfy me
with your songs that still abide

Earion

Staff member

Όταν γυρνούσαμε στο σπίτι κατά τις δύο, πρώτα πλύσιμο καλά, να μη λερώσουμε τα σεντόνια. Έλουζες το κεφάλι σου, όλα. Φαγί γερό, ό,τι υπήρχε μες στο σπίτι, φασόλια, ρεβίθια, κουκιά, μακαρόνια, μπακαλιάρο. Το καθημερινό. Μετά ξάπλα. Κούραση. Εγώ, που ήμουνα παιδάκι, κουραζόμουνα. Έπεφτα και κοιμόμουνα μέχρι το βράδυ στις τέσσερις πέντε η ώρα. Μετά σηκωνόμαστε και πηγαίναμε στο καφενείο. Βέβαια εγώ δεν πήγαινα στο καφενείο και τόσο. Πήγαινα κάπου αλλού εγώ κι έβρισκα κάτι φιλαράκια στα χρόνια μου, καθόμαστε συζητάγαμε διάφορα πράγματα. Άλλος έλεγε για το κορίτσι του, άλλος έλεγε για έτσι, άλλος αλλιώς.
Εγώ τότες στο κάρβουνο που δούλευα άρχισα και τα ’ψηνα μ’ αυτή την πρώτη την γυναίκα που πήρα. Εγώ αυτήν είχα στο νου μου.

Εκεί στα Ταμπούρια επήγαινα και άραζα ταχτικά στο σπίτι μιας εξαδέρφης μου Κούλας Ρηγούτσου, και στην ίδια αυλή καθόταν η κοπέλα που αγάπησα. Αυτή ήταν ορθόδοξος, καταγόταν από την Πελοπόννησο και λεγόταν Ζιγκοάλα. Αυτού άραζα το λοιπόν κι έβλεπα αυτήνε, το λεοντάρι που ήθελα να πάρω αργότερα.
Όλο κρυφά πολεμάγαμε. Να μην την δούνε οι δικοί της, η μάνα της, ο πατέρας της, τ’ αδέλφια της. Εμένα οι δικοί μου δε μ’ ένοιαζε. Το ξέρανε που της μίλαγα. Κι αυτή περίμενε με παντοίους τρόπους να με βρει ζούλα να μου μιλήσει. Έβγαινε όξω να ψωνίσει στο μπακάλικο. Την περίμενα εγώ στην πόρτα, καμιά φορά έβγαινα και όξω, πήγαινα στο δρόμο που θα ’ρχότανε, την έβρισκα και μιλάγαμε. Και λέγαμε τέλος πάντων, έτσι και έτσι και ξέρω ’γω τι, να τη φιλήσω, κι ότι «θα σε πάρω να σε κάνω γυναίκα μου» και «πότε θα γίνει αυτή η δουλειά». Ίσως να ’ναι σωστή η παροιμία που λέει ότι όποιος σ’ αγαπάει σε κάνει και κλαις. Δεν είχαμε γνωριστεί δέκα μέρες και η Ζιγκοάλα με είπε Φραγκόσκυλο.
Όμως μ’ όλο το Φραγκόσκυλο ο έρωτας ήταν κεραυνοβόλος σχεδόν. Απ’ τις πρώτες μέρες επιάστηκε και ένας χρόνος πέρασε χωρίς να μικρύνει η φλόγα. Μια μέρα την άρπαξα κι έφυγα. Κλεφτήκαμε στις δέκα η ώρα το βράδυ και την πήγα στο σπίτι μου.
Ήταν όμορφη, σπαθάτη γυναίκα, μελαχρινή, όμορφα μάτια κι όλα όμορφα.

Πέρναγε ο καιρός με τη μαστούρα και αργά ο καθένας πήγαινε για το σπίτι του, και το πρωί πάλι στη δουλειά. Όταν πήγαινα αργά στο σπίτι μεθυσμένος απ’ το χασίσι, έμπαινα σιγά σιγά στη ζούλα, για να μη ξυπνήσω τον πατέρα μου, γιατί τονε ντρεπόμουνα. Ένιωθα ότι δεν ήθελα να τον κοιτάξω στα μάτια του, που δείχνανε όλο τον πόνο του για μένα. Δεν φτάνει που είχε τη φροντίδα τη δικιά μου, αλλά ήταν υποχρεωμένος να ζει και τη γυναίκα μου.

Εν τω μεταξύ ο πατέρας μου, που τον έτρωγε το μεράκι για το κατρακύλισμά μου, και η μάνα μου η κακομοίρα, που ήθελε πάντα το καλό μου, όλο γκρίνιαζαν. Εγώ δεν άκουγα τίποτες. Έβρισκε η μάνα μου το μπελά της από τον πατέρα μου, γινόταν καβγάδες για μένα, ποιος φταίει. Τα δύο μικρότερα αδέρφια μου ακολούθησαν το παράδειγμά μου. Ο ένας, ο Λινάρδος, τρελάθηκε απ’ το χασίσι, στα δεκαεφτά του χρόνια. Έζησε τρελός και πέθανε το Σαράντα από πείνα. Ο άλλος, ο Φραντζέσκος, έπινε κρασί κι απόχτησε ένα χαρακτήρα ανθρώπου επικίνδυνου. Μαχαίρια τραβούσε, και φόνο έκανε στο τέλος και φυλακή επήγε.

Αφού, όπως σας είπα, είχα παρασυρθεί στην αλητεία, άρχισα να ζω κι όλες τις κακοπάθειές της. Και μια μέρα με τσακώνουνε μέσα στον τεκέ του Σωτηράκη με πέντε άλλους και μου δίνουνε τον αργιλέ και τα καλάμια και τα χασίσια και τα τουμπεκιά στα χέρια, και δεμένον με περνούσαν μαζί με τους άλλους απ’ την παραλία του Πειραιώς, της Ζέας, και μας πηγαίνανε για το Τρίτο, που ήταν στην οδό Ρετσίνα. Κάτι ξυλιές, κάτι κλοτσιές, και την άλλη μέρα για το πλημμελειοδικείο. Τότε μας έδινε δυο τρεις μέρες κράτηση, και όσες φορές κι αν μας πιάνανε το ίδιο.
Για μένα είναι σταθμός όμως αυτή η περιπέτεια. Για πρώτη φορά κρατητήρια, δικαστήρια, αποτυπώματα.

Όχι μόνο το καημένο το μπουζούκι μου είχε τη δύναμη να μου γλυκάνει τη ζωή αλλά θυμόμουνα τον καιρό εκείνο που είχε κατατρεγμό μεγάλο το μπουζούκι. Σας είπα ότι μας κυνηγάγανε στους τεκέδες και μας τραβάγανε, και το μπουζούκι δε θέλανε να το ξέρουνε με κανένα τρόπο. Αλλά είχε τέτοια μεγάλη δύναμη από τότες, που εισχώρησε σε όλα, και μέχρι πού έχει φθάσει σήμερα. Και το άλλο τραγούδι λέει:

Last edited:
There is so much to thank colleagues for: Daeman's translation (it takes me many more hours than you but then his standards are very high!) & the huge effort on my behalf that Earion has made in supplying the original of Vamvakaris's. I am greatly indebted to you both as to all who have helped me here. It is a worthy gift indeed.:eek:

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Λοιπόν, άκουσα χθες στο ραδιόφωνο ένα τραγούδι του Μάρκου για δυνατούς λύτες, και το φέρνω εδώ για τον Θησέα που του αρέσουν κάτι τέτοια. And since I'm far from sure about the translation of some parts, please don't refrain from contributing!

Πρέπει να ξέρεις μηχανή να κόψεις μαύρα μάτια|You must know lots of tricks to overcome black eyes
Γιατί σαν σε κοιτάζουνε, σε κάνουνε κομμάτια.|because when they look at you, they tear you to pieces
Να 'σαι κουρνάζος κι έξυπνος κι όλο με ζοριλίκι|You must be cunning and smart and very tough
Για μαύρα μάτια ζόρικα να 'χεις το νταηλίκι.|save your tough side for those fierce black eyes
Να 'χεις καρδιά να 'ναι βουνό, σπαθιά να τη χτυπούνε|your heart must be like a mountain, withstand the blows of swords
Γιατί είναι μάτια έξυπνα και την καρδιά τρυπούνε.|because the eyes are clever and they pierce your heart
Να 'σαι στην τρίχα στο σεβντά να μη σε μαραζώσουν|you must be on the top of your game so that they won't make you wither with love
Να μη σε νταλγκαδιάσουνε και το κορμί σου λιώσουν|so that they won't fill you with yearning and melt your body

Last edited:
Gosh, thanks, Παλ Αύρα ! From the day Earion gave me this present about Markos, all that I hear of him & his songs have made me an adoring fan. I'll look over the text & see if I can submit suggestions but that is like a little boy (εγώ) peeing on a great woman's statue (τ'άγαλμα είναι το δικό σας).

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Thanks for the compliment :) However, it's the Greek text I'm actually unsure about, as it's old slang and I'm not certain I have understood all of it correctly. There are wrong interpretations of its meaning everywhere on the Internet. For example, in a riders' forum, people misinterpret the word "μηχανή" which is a dated colloquial term for ploy, machination, for "motorbike" :) Moreover, I'm fairly sure that Markos is using some normal slang in his own manner; for example, I believe that he uses the expression «(είμαι) στην τρίχα» -which means "to look one's best"- to mean "be on your toes".

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Moreover, I'm fairly sure that Markos is using some normal slang in his own manner; for example, I believe that he uses the expression «(είμαι) στην τρίχα» -which means "to look one's best"- to mean "be on your toes".

I think so, too. In top shape and on one's toes, to avoid being ensnared. On top of one's game as you've finely put it, to be on top of this game.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Αυτό που λέμε σήμερα «είμαι στην τσίτα».

Ναι, και στην τσίτα και στην τρίχα μαζί. Και ικανός και σε εγρήγορση.

«Μελαχρινέ μου έρωτα, παράξενε σεβντά μου
δεν κάνει και κατέχω το να σ' έχω στην καρδιά μου»

«Από βαθιά μελαχρινές προέρχοντ' οι πληγές μου
γιατί εγώ με τσι ξανθές δεν έμπλεξα ποτές μου»

:-)