παθογένεια = pathology, malaise, (πληθ.) ills, afflictions

cougr

¥
Άντε άλλον ένα κύκλο. Όχι με μένα, όχι. [...]

Όμως δεν θα πρέπει να αγνοήσουμε το pathogeny. Δεν ξέρω το γιατί και το πώς, αλλά η πιο προφανής μετάφραση μας διέφυγε.

Μερικά σχετικά παραδείγματα από το google:

The Greek socio-political system has been long suffering by major pathogenies
The history of the pathogeny of the banking system
The pathogeny of Greek politics has been laid bare
Argentina is a country with great pathogenies
deeply-rooted pathogenies in public administration
Aspects of social pathogeny in socially excluded groups
Europe is suffering from its traditional and multidimensional pathogenies

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
That's actually another form of pathogenesis, and is really a medical term, for which the preferred translation is παθογένεση. I'd rather not use it in the figurative sense.

cougr

¥
Nickel, I can understand your reservations but the trend to use the term pathogeny when referring to παθογένεια (in the figurative sense), and vice-versa, is well and truly established. (Or at least, gaining traction).

pontios

cougr and pontios must be synonyms for tenacity. ;)
The first term that immediately popped into my mind (that seemed to suit παθογένεια), almost two years ago when this epic thread first started, was malaise.

Back then, I had never come across pathology as it's used to describe a stricken economy, education system etc.. I only knew of malaise. I can see that it (pathology) has its place in more formal situations (on book titles etc..), as I mentioned earlier.

Pathogeny, to its credit, sounds like παθογένεια, but it could nevertheless be on a much higher register/tenor/formality scale (or whatever the correct/applicable term I'm looking for is to describe a much more formal and obscure term), than even pathology.
I'm assuming of course that malaise is on a similar register to παθογένεια (and I'm not even sure of this - but it feels like it is).

It would be interesting to do a separate thread on the term blight at some stage, όταν βρούμε την όρεξη, as I can see some similarities and parallels with παθογένεια, but, I'm not going to be starting the thread any time soon. :)
I think its metaphorical sense is synonymous with scourge or plague (or even bane that was mentioned earlier?), but it has its starting point in pathogenesis, and its metaphor has been similarly inspired by it(όπως και με τη παθογένεια - only the pathogenesis this time happens to relate to plants ).
Blight can also be used as a verb.