metafrasi banner

Very civilized behavior

cosmasad

This may be a difficult one. But the expression "Very civilized behavior" in English like "Very civilized solution" or "Very civilized drink" (for a drink that an upper class person might enjoy) - the only Greek equivalent that I can think of is "«Πολύ πολιτισμένο» but that doesn't seem quite right.

What do you think? i'd really appreciate your insight.

m_a_a_

Πολιτισμένη συμπεριφορά or ~ λύση, I can buy... but the term would indeed sound rather awkward in reference to booze...

Ποτό/-ά της υψηλής κοινωνίας, maybe?

m_a_a_

Κυριλέ ποτά
I reckoned, I'd better not go too stray from the given register... In that regard, κυριλέ is probably more of an equivalent to posh... And the thing is, we can call 'em whatever we please, but posh people themselves would most likely be quite reluctant to refer to themselves as κυριλέ, whereas υψηλή κοινωνία strikes me as an easier name to endorse: its derogatory potential, if any, is way more latent...

SBE

¥
but posh people themselves would most likely be quite reluctant to refer to themselves as κυριλέ, whereas υψηλή κοινωνία strikes me as an easier name to endorse: its derogatory potential, if any, is way more latent...

A couple of observations:
a. you are assuming that in Greek κυριλέ might have derogatory potential when it is just a different register
b. you have probably not heard 21st century so-called upper class Greeks talk.

cosmasad

@cosmasad what's the definition of "civilized" that you're trying to convey here?
Oh, my @Zazula that's a good question. How does one define "civilized behavior?" Well, someone who is polite rather than rude. Someone who eats gracefully and knows how to hold a fork and knife. Does not spill food on his lap. Does not spill his drink. Does not drink too much.

«Η συμπεριφορά του κ. Παπαδόπουλου ήταν ευγενής» sounds good. «Κυριλέ» would be a word that someone mocking civilized behavior might use. And «Υψηλή Κοινωνία» also sounds good. One could say «Υψηλή Κοινωνία» when watching “Downton Abbey” for example. Thank you, all. These are very helpful.