Bach in the Amazon

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Virgin Audience

A photo exhibition by Miklós Csepely-Knorr

This was an special opportunity to extend my MA research about the ‘honesty of portraiture’ and create a photo essay that covers the moments of the initial encounter between the piano and the various communities next to the Napo River.

Before the trip I was seeking for an answer to understand what makes a good portraiture. As a practicing professional through my lens I have observed lots of people in studios but during this trip, for the time in my life, I felt the same way how a sitter could feel - lost, alone and vulnerable.

Lost, due to losing the control over the set. Alone, due to lack of the familiar environment. Vulnerable, due to being an outsider of the society.

I found only one way to make myself confident on the environment: accept the fact, that in reportage, as Bresson states “You can't go looking for it; you can't want it. First you must lose your self. Then it happens.” I had to allow the frames to find me by coincidence, through my intuition.

In this series my aim was to express the motion of the project. The twin frames are involving the viewer to the experience of the photographer’s intuition on the location, how the frames were captured one after the other.

The story is simple; introduce a day of the project from sunrise to sunset.

3.jpg6.jpg8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ένα μικρό βίντεο. Θα ακολουθήσει και δεύτερο με εικόνες από τα ρεσιτάλ.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Και μερικές εικόνες ακόμα, με μουσική υπόκρουση μια σπουδή Σοπέν.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Συνέντευξη στο BBC World GMT

Δεν είναι πολύ καλή η εικόνα επειδή είναι τραβηγμένη με κάμερα από οθόνη τηλεόρασης.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keys of Change in Japan

1 August 2011.
Keys of Change today announced that founder Panos Karan was invited to perform for communities in Northeast Japan affected by the March earthquake and tsunami. Karan will travel to Tohoku on 22 August to perform for people living in emergency shelters in several communities along the coast. "The tragedy in Japan has touched me deeply,” says Karan. “I had the pleasure of visiting Japan two years ago, and was mesmerised by the harmony and love of art and aesthetics, which are reflecting in all aspects of life. I feel an everlasting respect to the stoicism and strength of the Japanese people. I would like to go to Japan and play music for some of the victims of the earthquake and let them know that they are not forgotten. I realise that people need food and shelter, money and a roof over their heads. But music can give hope and encouragement in times of the greatest grief, sorrow and despair.” He will be joined on this trip by David Tharp, MD/Psychotherapist, who specializes in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder treatment and grief counseling, and travel photographer, Tariq Zaidi.

Keys of Change founder, 28-year old Greek-born Panos Karan, was educated at the Royal Academy of Music in London. He made his professional debut at the Southbank Centre at the age of 19. Notable appearances have included two solo recitals at Carnegie Hall, the Vienna Konzerthaus, the Hermitage Theatre (St. Petersburg) and the Athens Megaron Concert Hall. In 2009 he recorded Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 3 with the Orion Symphony Orchestra.

“Can music change the world? We believe it can” is the motto of Keys of Change and Karan has already completed the first leg of a 5,000 miles journey along the Amazon River to make sure it does. Karan formed Keys of Change, to share the world of classical music with people in remote parts of the world. It was established in August 2010 by individuals who deeply believe that playing music is one of the simplest yet strongest ways for people to build bridges for peace and make positive social change. Keys of Change is working together with The Condor Trust for Education in Ecuador and aims to support several children in the Amazon to continue their education in secondary school. Visit www.keysofchange.org
to learn more.