metafrasi banner

"Who on earth is swearing like this outside?"

A hard passage from Joseph Conrad's Suspense:-

"Who on earth is swearing like this outside?" exclaimed Cosmo, while Spire's face also expressed astonishment at the loud burst of voices coming along the corridor, one angry, the other argumentative, in a crescendo of scolding and expostulation which passing the door at its highest died away into a confused murmur in the distance of the long corridor.

"That was an English voice," said Cosmo. "I mean the angry one."

"I should think it's that English doctor from Tuscany that has been three or four days here already. He has been put on this floor."

"From what I have been able to catch," said Cosmo, "he seems very angry at having a neighbour on it. That must be me. Have you heard his name?"

"It's Marvel or some such name. He seems to be known here; he orders people about as if he were at home. The other was Cantelucci, sir."

"Very likely. Look here, Spire, I will dine in the public room downstairs. I want to see that angry gentleman. Did you see him, Spire?"

"Only his back, sir. Very broad, sir. Tall man. In boots and a riding-coat. Are you going down now, sir? The dinner must be on already."

This is described in my book as being of Scholarship level standard. That is almost University level. I don't know how hard it would prove for the professional lexilogia translators. I am trying to put my hand to it but it is pretty awful
I submit it for efforts from the professionals. :confused::curse:

SBE

¥
Not going to try, but the title reminded me of a scene in the Greek movie Astero (1958) where the son of the local landowner is singing outside his parents' house, while the father is trying to sleep, and the father says:
«Ποιος είναι αυτός που τραγουδάει εκεί έξω, που να του πάρει ο διάολος τον πατέρα;»
Αnd his wife says: «Ο γιος μας θα είναι».
To which he replies: «Ε, τότε να μην του πάρει ο διάολος τον πατέρα, τον ίδιο να πάρει».

My dreadful attempt at the first paragraph:-
-Ποίος στην ευχή έτσι να βλαστημάει έξω; είπε ο Κώστας και το πρόσωπο του Σπύρου κι έδειξε μεγάλη έκπληξη στο ξαφνικές κραυγές να κατεβαίνουν τον διάδρομο, η μία θυμωμένη, η άλλη εριστική, με ένα κρετσέντο επίπληξης και διαμαρτυρίας που, περνώντας την πόρτα στην ακμή του, αργοέσβηνε σ' ένα μπερδεμένο μουρμουρητό κατά στο βάθος του μακρύ διαδρόμου.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I need a break:

"Who on earth is swearing like this outside?" exclaimed Cosmo, while Spire's face also expressed astonishment at the loud burst of voices coming along the corridor, one angry, the other argumentative, in a crescendo of scolding and expostulation which passing the door at its highest died away into a confused murmur in the distance of the long corridor.

-Ποίος στην ευχή έτσι να βλαστημάει έξω; είπε ο Κώστας και το πρόσωπο του Σπύρου κι έδειξε μεγάλη έκπληξη στο ξαφνικές κραυγές να κατεβαίνουν τον διάδρομο, η μία θυμωμένη, η άλλη εριστική, με ένα κρετσέντο επίπληξης και διαμαρτυρίας που, περνώντας την πόρτα στην ακμή του, αργοέσβηνε σ' ένα μπερδεμένο μουρμουρητό κατά στο βάθος του μακρύ διαδρόμου.

Corrections, few improvements (the underlined words must definitely find better equivalents):

-Ποιος στην ευχή βλαστημάει έτσι έξω; αναφώνησε ο Κώστας ενώ το πρόσωπο του Σπύρου έδειξε κι αυτό μεγάλη έκπληξη στις ξαφνικές κραυγές που κατέβαιναν τον διάδρομο, η μία θυμωμένη, η άλλη εριστική, με ένα κρεσέντο επιπλήξεων και διαμαρτυριών, που κορυφώθηκε καθώς περνούσαν την πόρτα και τώρα αργόσβηνε σ' ένα μπερδεμένο μουρμουρητό στο βάθος του μακρύ διαδρόμου.

Thanks, Nik. Would φιλόνικος/επιθετικός do for 'argumentative'? As you could tell, 'argumentative' & 'expostulation' proved very difficult to translate. 'Expostulation' is not found in most of my dictionaries, so I struggled to render it accurately. Διενεξεων? I need help from fellow lexilogists.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Γιατί Κώστας κι όχι Κοσμάς;

Θεώρησα τα ονόματα αυθαίρετα και αδιάφορα. Υποθέτω ότι θα τα κάναμε Κόσμο και Σπάιρ.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Would φιλόνικος/επιθετικός do for 'argumentative'? As you could tell, 'argumentative' & 'expostulation' proved very difficult to translate. 'Expostulation' is not found in most of my dictionaries, so I struggled to render it accurately. Διενεξεων? I need help from fellow lexilogists.

Here I think the argumentation is the second person's defensive attitude to the first person's anger. So argumentative could be συζητητικός, μαχητικός, but here I might use αμυντικός, as he was probably trying to fend off the angry one's arguments.

For expostulation I suggest επίπληξη or επιτίμηση. Here we might say "με ένα κρεσέντο επιπλήξεων και επικρίσεων".

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
OK, I need a break:

Corrections, few improvements (the underlined words must definitely find better equivalents):

-Ποιος στην ευχή βλαστημάει έτσι έξω; αναφώνησε ο Κώστας ενώ το πρόσωπο του Σπύρου έδειξε κι αυτό μεγάλη έκπληξη στις ξαφνικές κραυγές που κατέβαιναν τον διάδρομο, η μία θυμωμένη, η άλλη εριστική, με ένα κρεσέντο επιπλήξεων και διαμαρτυριών, που κορυφώθηκε καθώς περνούσαν την πόρτα και τώρα αργόσβηνε σ' ένα μπερδεμένο μουρμουρητό στο βάθος του μακρύ διαδρόμου.

My four farthings:

(1) --"Who on earth is swearing like this outside?"

Are we absolutely sure there are βλαστήμιες outside, in the juicy Greek way we understand them, or a simple «Μα τι φωνές είναι αυτές;» or a stronger but not as juicy «Ποιος στην ευχή/στον κόρακα :) φωνάζει έτσι;» would do? The «κραυγές» of the context are probably nearer to my point of view.

(2) Why «κατέβαιναν» τον διάδρομο; We have no orientation hints regarding the corridor...

(3) The "argumentative" voice could also be one that was trying to give explanations to the angry voice. If so, we could try maybe απολογητική (thinking that the quarrel had come to the point that the απολογητική voice had become as loud as the angry one). This would also help to translate the expostulations with another word, not διαμαρτυρία-protest.

(4) Finally, as Nickel already said, the proposed Greek text is still a little bit awkward (in my ears, at least, which are known to be among the worst). My try would be:

«Ποιοι στον κόρακα φωνάζουν έτσι;» αναρωτήθηκε μεγαλόφωνα ο Κοσμάς :) την ώρα που στο πρόσωπο του Σπύρου ζωγραφίστηκε η έκπληξη για τις εκκωφαντικές κραυγές που έρχονταν από τον διάδρομο, η μία θυμωμένη, η άλλη απολογητική, σε ένα κουβάρι από κατηγόριες και δικαιολογίες, που κορυφώθηκαν καθώς περνούσαν έξω από την πόρτα και τώρα αργόσβηναν σ' ένα μπερδεμένο μουρμουρητό στο βάθος του μακριού διαδρόμου.

I owe you a great debt of appreciation, Nickel & the good Dr, for all your help. To see you thinking out loud helps me to understand the arduous task of translation, as well as seeing the thought processes involved. I knew my attempted translation was relatively poor but that is because there is so much involved in turning a difficult piece of English into Greek. It takes me a good while to translate anything so difficult into Greek, but at least I can submit my attempt for others more able than me to start from by way of constructive criticism,suggestions & sometimes a whole rewriting. The dictionaries I use are good but naturally very limited in their scope. I am now working on the next section.

The 2nd bit. I find this sort of 'loose' dialogue a nightmare to translate.

Ήταν η φωνή ενός Άγγλου, είπε ο Κοσμάς, εννοώ την θυμωμένη.
-Είναι θαρρώ ο Αγγλικός γιατρός από την Τοσκάνη που ήδη έχει τρεις τέσσερις μέρες εδώ. Τον τοποθέτησαν και στον όροφο αυτό.
-Απ' ό, τι έχω ακούσει, είπε ο Κοσμάς, φαίνεται πολύ θυμωμένος ότι έχει κοντά ένα άλλο πελάτη. Πρέπει να είμαι εγώ αυτός [ο ίδιος ?]. Ξέρεις το όνομα του;

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
"That was an English voice," said Cosmo. "I mean the angry one."
"I should think it's that English doctor from Tuscany that has been three or four days here already. He has been put on this floor."
"From what I have been able to catch," said Cosmo, "he seems very angry at having a neighbour on it. That must be me. Have you heard his name?"

Ήταν η φωνή ενός Άγγλου, είπε ο Κοσμάς, εννοώ την θυμωμένη.
-Είναι θαρρώ ο Αγγλικός γιατρός από την Τοσκάνη που ήδη έχει τρεις τέσσερις μέρες εδώ. Τον τοποθέτησαν και στον όροφο αυτό.
-Απ' ό, τι έχω ακούσει, είπε ο Κοσμάς, φαίνεται πολύ θυμωμένος ότι έχει κοντά ένα άλλο πελάτη. Πρέπει να είμαι εγώ αυτός [ο ίδιος ?]. Ξέρεις το όνομα του;

Theseus, I'll give you my version and then try to explain some points.

--Ήταν η φωνή ενός Άγγλου, είπε ο Κοσμάς, εννοώ την θυμωμένη (or: του θυμωμένου).
--Είναι, θαρρώ, ο Άγγλος γιατρός από την Τοσκάνη, που ήδη έχει τρεις τέσσερις μέρες εδώ. Τον τοποθέτησαν και στον όροφο αυτό.
--Απ' όσα κατάλαβα, είπε ο Κοσμάς, φαίνεται πολύ θυμωμένος που του έβαλαν έναν μπάστακα δίπλα του. Μάλλον εννοεί εμένα. Ξέρεις το όνομά του; [or any of: Ξέρεις ποιος είναι; Ξέρεις πώς τον λένε;]

To show the national origin we don't use αγγλικός but the national's name as an adjective, hence Άγγλος. See, for example, The English patient, ο Άγγλος ασθενής.

«Απ' ό, τι έχω ακούσει» refers to all that he has heard in the past, not just the quarrel of some minutes ago. You need to select a verb and a time specifying the fiery discussion in the corridor. «Απ' όσα άκουσα» is too vague, imho, but maybe I'm a little on the pedantic side here since it should be obvious that he is referring to what he just heard.

I couldn't exactly understand why you chose πελάτης for neighbour, probably to give an accent of an annoying guy, but πελάτης is used with this meaning in Greek in a very clear context, e.g. for someone who has been offered many choices and is still undecided. «Το ένα δεν σου αρέσει, το άλλο σου μυρίζει, πολύ ζόρικος πελάτης είσαι αδελφέ μου.» I would propose the word μπάστακας for this unwanted extra person.

Finally, you could maybe hear someone say «Πρέπει να είμαι εγώ αυτός» or «Μάλλον είμαι εγώ αυτός», but it does not seem very natural to me. As an editor, I would not let it pass in a translation.

pontios

dr. 7 wrote .... I couldn't exactly understand why you chose πελάτης for neighbour,

"Neighbour" is an odd choice in the context of a hotel - it doesn't sound right?
A neighbour is someone who lives next door, not someone who visits next door.

A neighbouring room guest, maybe?
I'm betting that's why Theseus chose "πελάτη" = guest (and opted for nearby guest) - i.e., he probably preferred not to translate the wrong-sounding "neighbour" (which - similarly - wouldn't sound right in Greek, anyway)?

Just so, pontios. I thought of what the Greek for fellow--guest might be. Obviously, συμπελάτης is a non-existent word &, even if it did exist, it would have a positive connotation. So I plumped for πελάτης & κοντά i.e. a nearby guest, a neighbouring room guest.
Thanks, Dr, for your masterly & very much appreciated commentary on my effort. The comment on Άγγλος/Αγγλικός is something new to me. So a Greek doctor would be ένας Έλληνας γιατρός, I presume. I found 'That must be me' presented a very difficult challenge to translate into Greek.

The last part:-
Μάρβελ τον λένε ή κάτι τέτοιο. Είναι γνωστός, φαίνεται, εδώ μέσα. Δίνει διαταγές σα να ήταν σπίτι του. Καντελούτσι είναι ο άλλος, κύριε.
-Ακριβώς. Για κοίταξε, Σπύρο. Το βράδυ θα δείπνησω κάτω στο σαλόνι. Θέλω να δω εκείνο τον κύριο τον θυμωμένο. Τον έχεις δει, Σπυρο;
-Μόνο την πλάτη του. Πολύ φαρδιά. Είναι ψηλός άντρας. Με μπότες και σακάκι ιππασίας. Τώρα να πάτε, κύριε. Πρέπει να ετοιμάζουν ήδη το δείπνο.