δε θα σκάσουμε κιόλας

What is the meaning of this common idiom? I can't find a plausible translation anywhere. Two examples, one from Fifini:-
Καλά, δε θα σκάσουμε κιόλας, εννοείται... Απλά καλό είναι να διευκρινίζονται κάποια μικρά θεματάκια για να είναι ο κόσμος μας πιο όμορφος, δίχως απορίες....
And one from SBE:-
Τεσπά, άμα θέλει να έρθει ας έρθει. Δε θα σκάσουμε κιόλας. :confused::(

Το λέει για κάτι που μας απασχολεί ή μας ενοχλεί αλλά δεν είναι και τόσο σοβαρό.
Δεν θα πεθάνουμε κιόλας, δεν αξίζει να ασχολούμαστε και πολύ.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
A colloquial "nothing to lose sleep over", nothing to make a fuss about. (Or: "We won't be losing sleep over it" and the like.)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Σας και τους δυο είμαι πολύ υποχρεωμένος. Θενξ. :)

«Σας είμαι υποχρεωμένος»
«Και στους δύο σας είμαι υποχρεωμένος»
or even better
«Είμαι υποχρεωμένος και στους δυο σας».

Λάθη, λάθη, αναγκαία λάθη! Ἡ ἐπανάληψη λοιπὸν εἶναι ὄντως «μήτηρ πάσης μαθήσεως». Σ' ευχαριστώ, Νίκελ.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Λάθη, λάθη, αναγκαία λάθη!...

E, δε θα σκάσουμε κιόλας, Θησέα. :-)

Στη μετάφραση του Χιόνη: «Θα κρατήσω την αναπνοή μου μέχρι να σκάσω!»

Λαϊκός Δαεμάνος στη θέση του Δαεμάνου: Όχι θα κάτσω να σκάσω. Ή ο Δαίμων, γεν. Δαίμονος, χαχαχα!:devil:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Ή ο Δαίμων, γεν. Δαίμονος, χαχαχα!:devil:

Daeman's the name, daemonic is the game: http://lexilogia.gr/forum/showthrea...να-στην-ιδιοφυΐα&p=53036&viewfull=1#post53036 :devil:

Δαεμάνος for my friends, Theseus. :-) Penso, logo sou; ergo logos sum; έργω λόγος ειμί. À la Descartes. :p

TheGreatUniter

It is kinda literally translated as such: "We will not blow up, and-from-above/from above/so/on top of that (Greek doesn't translate well into English and it's not the only language. Or if it does, they sound unatural to the English speaker. Japanese is known for this feature too. Words such as "daga", "masaka", "dakara" kind-of-lose their actual meaning translated into English.).". "Κιόλας" comes from Medieval Greek "καί ὅλα" which is accurately translated as "and all".

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
[...](Greek doesn't translate well into English and it's not the only language. [...]
Greek translates just fine into English, as do all languages that I know of; what doesn't work is what you attempted to do here, which is translate things word-for-word. You also seem to miss the meaning of pragmatics, which is a chapter that both translation theory and linguistics have dealt with extensively.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Greek translates just fine into English, as do all languages that I know of; ...

Well, if it didn't, translators of Greek to English wouldn't exist; and I'm sure we do. :-) Transfero ergo sum.

As does Peter Bien —for an illustrious, illustrative example— who took on the feat of translating Kazantzakis to English, and did a marvellous job.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
But we won't be losing any sleep over the former; let them sleep, blissed out.