metafrasi banner

tracking powder = (a) προσκολλώμενη σκόνη (b) (παλ.) σκόνη ιχνηλάτησης

FWIW, even though the product under discussion is primarily used as a rodenticide, it is designed with a dual purpose in mind. By leaving a trail it enables the tracking and monitoring of the activity of rodents and where they nest - hence the term tracking.

That's interesting, cougr. Can you refer me to any sources that describe such dual-use powders? From what I've read (and as described in nickel's links), "tracking powders" for tracking are usually non-toxic fluorescent formulations. Biocidal tracking powders, on the other hand, must be applied on known animal tracks (which means that you don't need to track the rodents, you already know their habits).

Nickel's summary makes more sense: the English term was kept even though the powder's use and application have changed. In any case, we should use different Greek terms for the two powder types, and «προσκολλώμενη σκόνη» appears to be the best option for the rat poison formulations.

cougr

¥
There was a product we used several years ago that was both a rodenticide and tracking agent, to solve a significant problem with mice at my parents house. It was a lime green colour that left clear tracks to where the mice had been and helped us in locating their nest. I can't remember what it was called and a cursory google search hasn't been of much help. I probably jumped the gun a bit by assuming that the product you refer to in your query was the same or similar to the one I had in mind, so apologies for that.