metafrasi banner

biting horse fly in Greece

What is the correct Greek term for the biting horse fly, which is common for only about a month. I encountered many of them darting over the villa's swimming pool or trying to get a drink from the water. Δαβανος - I can't find how it is accentuated - is one term but that can also apply to the clegg fly, which is much smaller.
Here are pictures of the two concerned:-
The smaller one first can be found at http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-cl...s-biting-the-photographers-hand-63819882.html.
The larger & much more fearsome one is to be found at https://skopelosnews.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/horse-fly-δαβανος/.
The confusion I am in is that both seem to be described by the same term. I'm sure I heard σκούρος in Skopelos but in Heather Parson's guide to the little island she uses δαβανος. Frustratingly, I cannot find the term σκούρος anywhere in my several volumes of notebooks.
It would be useful also to have a list of Greek flies/biting flies with the names Greeks use for them and of course I am aware that different terms are probably used in different islands.:down:

Νταβανός is what I've always called it. There are many variations of the word, however.

Νταβάνι, ντάβανος στο ΛΚΝ.

http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/modern_greek/tools/lexica/triantafyllides/search.html?lq="νταβάνι+1"&dq=

Ντάβανος or τάβανος, definitely not *δάβανος. See for example here, here and, of course, here. Besides that, I have only ever heard of αλογόμυγα and βοϊδόμυγα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Ντάβανος or τάβανος, definitely not *δάβανος. See for example here, here and, of course, here. Besides that, I have only ever heard of αλογόμυγα and βοϊδόμυγα.

Hear, hear!

gadfly = αλογόμυγα (μύωψ, οίστρος, τάβανος, βοϊδόμυγα, αλογόμυγα)

τάβανος ο [távanos] Ο20: (λόγ.) νταβάνι [SUP]1[/SUP].[μσν. τάβανος < ταβάν(ι) μεγεθ. -ος (δες στο νταβάνι [SUP]1[/SUP])]

νταβάνι [SUP]1[/SUP]
το [daváni] Ο44 & ντάβανος ο [dávanos] Ο20 : έντομο που μοιάζει με μεγάλη μύγα και που απομυζά το αίμα των μεγάλων κατοικίδιων ζώων: Tο ~ κέντρισε το βόδι / το άλογο. || (για άνθρ. που οργίζεται ξαφνικά): Kάνει σαν να τον κέντρισε ~.
[ντάβανος: μσν. ντάβανος < τάβανος < ταβάν(ι) μεγεθ. -ος με ηχηροπ. του αρχικού [t > d] από συμπροφ. με το άρθρο στην αιτ. [ton-t > tond > ton-d] · νταβάνι: μσν. νταβάνι < ταβάνι < λατ. taban(us) [tabá-] -ι(ον) με ηχηροπ. του αρχικού [t > d] κατά το ντάβανος]

*Δάβανος is like calling μπιφτέκι "πιπτέκι". Κομιλφό (και κομιλφού) υπερδιόρθωση. Υπερβολικός οίστρος > *οίσθρος. :p

Μύγα μάς τσίμπησε.

Thanks, all. Heather Parson's article had it written in English, which I wrongly transcribed. There is a big difference between the large 25-30mm biting fly and the much smaller cleg/clegg fly which is easy to swat when it lowers its proboscis into a vein. I wanted to find out whether in Greece there is a linguistic distinction between the giant horsefly & the much smaller cleg.

According to Demetrios Moutsos (courtesy of the scholarly website JSTOR) the various terms for the biting horsefly are αλογόμυγα, βουδόμυγα/βοϊδόμυγα (Epirus), γα(δ)αρόμυγα (Carpathos), έστρος (Epirus), έστρο (Zakynthos), στριός (Kerkyra), οιστρίγκα (Crete, Epirus)) & of course ντάβανος (Epirus, &c). The details of the article are as follows:-
Greek μύωψ and τζιμούριον
Demetrios Moutsos
Zeitschrift für vergleichende Sprachforschung
94. Bd., 1./2. H. (1980), pp. 147-157
I hope this is useful to the wider forum.:upz:

Last edited: