metafrasi banner

wild goose chase

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Το κυνήγι χίμαιρας είναι το επίσημο, που θα βρούμε στα λεξικά.

Άλλες ιδέες, για πιο χαλαρό ρέτζιστερ;

Δεν μας λες το ρήμα μπροστά.

... για βρούβες
... στο γάμο του Καραγκιόζη [με επέκταση της αρχικής σημασίας της έκφρασης]
... να κυνηγάει (τι;...)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Το πιο απλό ρήμα: It's a wild goose chase. Μια εντελώς απίθανη περίπτωση.

Κατά μία έννοια, μπορείς να παίξεις και με το ματαιοπονώ/ματαιοπονία.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
κυνήγι φαντασμάτων
μάταιη αναζήτηση
άσκοπη αναζήτηση
αναζήτηση σε λάθος κατεύθυνση

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Εξαρτάται βέβαια από το σε τι αναφερόμαστε:
• ούτε με σφαίρες
• με καμία κυβέρνηση

FunkSoulBrother

Άνθρακες ο θησαυρός;
Τράβα στη γωνία να δεις να έρχομαι;
Τον έστειλαν να φέρει νερό με το κόσκινο;

Για όλα τα ρέτζιστερ έχει ο μπαχτσές!

to lead someone on a wild goose chase

Wild goose chase see:- http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/wild-goose-chase.html
A hopeless quest.
Origin
'This phrase is old and appears to be one of the many phrases introduced to the language by Shakespeare. The first recorded citation is from Romeo and Juliet, 1592:

Romeo: Switch and spurs, switch and spurs; or I'll cry a match.

Mercutio: Nay, if thy wits run the wild-goose chase, I have done, for thou hast more of the wild-goose in one of thy wits than, I am sure, I have in my whole five.

Our current use of the phrase alludes to an undertaking which will probably prove to be fruitless - and it's hard to imagine anything more doomed to failure than an attempt to catch a wild goose by chasing after it. Our understanding of the term differs from that in use in Shakespeare's day. The earlier meaning related not to hunting but to horse racing. A 'wild goose chase' was a chase in which horses followed a lead horse at a set distance, mimicking wild geese flying in formation. The equine connection was referred to in another early citation, just ten years after Shakespeare - Nicholas Breton's The Mother's Blessing, 1602:

"Esteeme a horse, according to his pace, But loose no wagers on a wilde goose chase."

That meaning had been lost by the 19th century. In Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, 1811, he defines the term much the way we do today:

"A tedious uncertain pursuit, like the following a flock of wild geese, who are remarkably shy."

The 1978 film 'The Wild Geese' alluded to the phrase in its title. This refers back to Irish mercenaries who 'flew' from Ireland to serve in various European armies in the 16th to 18th centuries. The plot of the film involved a group of mercenaries embarking on a near-impossible mission. Of course, the near-impossible is no problem for action heroes and they caught their prey. :down:

Το κυνήγι μαγισσών δεν σημαίνει κάτι παρόμοιο; Ή μπερδεύτηκα γιατί νυστάζω και δεν έχω πιει μεσημεριανό καφέ;

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Το «go / embark on a wild goose chase» εκφράζει ματαιοπονία (όπως, φαντάζομαι, και το να κυνηγάμε τον ίσκιο μας ή να σκιαμαχούμε), το «lead someone on a wild goose chase» παραπλάνηση, το «witch hunt» (κυνήγι μαγισσών) άδικη δίωξη.

Earion

Staff member
The 1978 film 'The Wild Geese' ... the plot of the film involved a group of mercenaries embarking on a near-impossible mission. Of course, the near-impossible is no problem for action heroes and they caught their prey. :down:

By saying that "caught their prey",I suppose you mean ironically that they met their deserved punishment (death), for this is exactly what happened to nearly all of them. (Wikipedia article)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Για να μείνουμε στο κυνήγι: «κυνηγάω τα άπιαστα», «προσπαθώ να συλλάβω το ασύλληπτο», «επιδιώκω το ανέφικτο».
Πάω να κουρέψω κάνα αβγό, να πεταλώσω ψύλλους, να παραβγώ με τον άνεμο, να πιω τη θάλασσα με το κουτάλι, να πιάσω χέλια με τα χέρια...