Thread: I think he's dishonest

I think he's dishonest

Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding the closest Greek phrase (colloquial) for labeling someone as "dishonest" meaning that "he's a cheat" as in "tax cheat" or hiding income...

"Δεν είναι ειλεικρινείς" doesn't seem quite right. That feels more like "He's not sincere".

Thank you.

How low would you like to go?

I guess you're not interested in almost official terms like απατεώνας, φοροφυγάς, φοροκλέφτης.

Λαμόγιο is a fairly recent all-around term which however made it even to the Parlament (the entry in the pic is from the newest, under construction, ΜΗΛΝΕΓ).

Or maybe you can use a phrase: «Αυτός είναι να μετράς τα δάχτυλά σου όταν του δίνεις το χέρι σου».

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Καταγραφή.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	6171
    Wer die Wahrheit nicht weiß, der ist bloß ein Dummkopf. Aber wer sie weiß, und sie eine Lüge nennt, der ist ein Verbrecher!
    We base decisions on facts, not superstition, not what our ideology tells us but rather what we can observe

δεῖ δὲ χρημάτων, καὶ ἄνευ τούτων οὐδὲν ἔστι γενέσθαι τῶν δεόντων
    Η Ελλάδα είναι Ευρώπη, η Ευρώπη είναι Ελλάδα!

Thanks for asking. I don't want to go as low as "απατεώνας" - that's harsh. I would say the range would be from sneaky to dishonest but not a downright crook

Ανέντιμος is high register, not-so-low in meaning, and very close to "dishonest" literally.
    Με βρίσκετε και εδώ.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinos View Post
    Ανέντιμος is high register, not-so-low in meaning, and very close to "dishonest" literally.
    +1

Also «δεν είναι καθαρός» or «δεν παίζει καθαρά», a tad lower in register.

Could we have something more on the register to be used, an example perhaps?
    Wer die Wahrheit nicht weiß, der ist bloß ein Dummkopf. Aber wer sie weiß, und sie eine Lüge nennt, der ist ein Verbrecher!
    We base decisions on facts, not superstition, not what our ideology tells us but rather what we can observe

Here's some examples, drsiebenmal,

'I discovered the contractor was being dishonest. His invoices had inflated expenses.

I don't want to be a dishonest landlord and hide income from the tax department.

Thanks, cosmasad. I guess you can use "ανέντιμος" in both cases. Personally I would prefer the slightly less formal negation "δεν ήταν/ δεν είμαι έντιμος".

Ανακάλυψα ότι ο εργολάβος δεν ήταν έντιμος. Οι δαπάνες στα τιμολόγιά του ήταν φουσκωμένες.
    Δεν θέλω να μην είμαι έντιμος σπιτονοικοκύρης και να κρύβω εισόδημα από την εφορία.

That's perfect, guys. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmasad View Post
    'I discovered the contractor was being dishonest. His invoices had inflated expenses.
    For me this goes to the «κάνει/έκανε μπαγαποντιές» dept.