metafrasi banner

nota bene

cosmasad

Dear friends,

The term "Note Bene" is Latin for "Note Well". Is there a Greek equivalent that one can use when you want someone to "Note Well" :) something you're about to say?

Thank you.

cosmasad

So you could say "Σε παρακαλώ σημείωσε ότι η ώρα του ραντεβού είναι 8". Thank you guys!

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
If I were to make a complete presentation of the phrase, I’d also like to point out the use of lower case as well as the corresponding abbreviation (NB or N.B. for emphasis, otherwise nb or n.b.):

I’d also like to add “ας σημειωθεί (ότι)” and “σημειωτέον (ότι)” to the less formal glosses, plus the abbreviation “Σημ.”. The examples are from the ODE:

‘But, nota bene, his blessings flow only in the direction of those who are already virtuous.
Gentle reader, nota bene this post has footnotes.
He became the patron and mentor of the younger poets, welcoming all innovations, as opposed to Jeffers the loner whom, nota bene, he mercilessly bashed in his essays.
Many years ago, when the Lady Novelist (now nota bene a Professor in her own right) and I got married, some cousins of mine gave us a pair of Georgian spoons.
It was not even Hitler, nota bene, who was analogous in Mrs. Woolf's mind to the domineering husband, but the man who proposed to stand up to Hitler.

The above examples include one where "nota bene" is the main clause. Google books contain a number of instances where “nota bene that” stands for “note well that”.