metafrasi banner

I can't afford to

When you say that you "can't afford" to do something, it means that it's important not to do it. For example:

-This is a really important meeting. I can't afford to be late.

We can't afford to take the risk.

You can also reverse the phrase:

-At these prices, you can't afford not to buy!

This means "You have to buy."

-We can't afford to make any mistakes at this stage in the project.

-He can ill afford to fail any of his exams.

Is there a modern Greek idiom, which covers all these examples?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Έχω αυτές τις αποδόσεις:

δεν γίνεται να
δεν με παίρνει να
δεν έχω το περιθώριο να
δεν έχω την πολυτέλεια να

Να η πιο ιδιωματική απόδοση:

-This is a really important meeting. I can't afford to be late. Δεν με παίρνει να αργήσω.
-We can't afford to take the risk. Δεν σε παίρνει να το ρισκάρεις.
-At these prices, you can't afford not to buy! Δεν σε παίρνει να μην αγοράσεις. / Δε λέει να μην αγοράσεις.
-We can't afford to make any mistakes at this stage in the project. Δεν μας παίρνει να κάνουμε λάθη σ’ αυτό το στάδιο
-He can ill afford to fail any of his exams. Δεν τον παίρνει πολύ να αποτύχει σε κάποια από τις εξετάσεις του.

Όπως τα λέει ο Νίκελ.
Στη φράση
We can't afford to make any mistakes at this stage in the project.
πέρα απο το περιθώριο και την πολυτέλεια μπορεί κανείς να πει
"Σε αυτή τη φάση του έργου δεν επιτρέπονται τα λάθη"

Και στο At these prices, you can't afford not to buy!
θα μπορούσε κανείς να πει, πιο ελεύθερα βέβαια, "τέτοιες ευκαιρίες δεν χάνονται!"

Σας ευχαριστώ και τους δύο για αυτούς τους αντίστοιχους όρους στα ελληνικά και για τη μετάφραση των παραδειγμάτων που έδωσα. Ως συνήθως, όλα είναι πολύ χρήσιμα.

pontios

(These are all thereabouts, perhaps ?) ...

We can't afford such a loan .... δεν μπορούμε να αντέξουμε τέτοιο δάνειο;
δεν έχουμε τη δυνατότητα για ένα τέτοιο δάνειο; This just came to me.

As did this ...
They can no longer afford the risk ........ δεν μπορούν πλέον να ανταπεξέλθουν στο ρίσκο;

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. I'm afraid you're changing the pattern to "afford + noun", where the first meaning is that of having enough money to pay for something.

I like this sentence:

They couldn't afford the repayments and they couldn't afford to sell.

Ούτε τις δόσεις άντεχαν να πληρώνουν αλλά ούτε και να πουλήσουν τούς έπαιρνε. :)

pontios

Hi. I'm afraid you're changing the pattern to "afford + noun", where the first meaning is that of having enough money to pay for something.

I can't afford these mistakes = I can't afford to make these mistakes. :blush: (that's me blushing, by the way)

I see your point, but on the other hand ...
I can't afford such a loan = I can't afford to take out such a loan = I can't afford to take on such a loan.
I can't afford the risk = I can't afford to take on the risk = I can't afford to take the risk.

But you're right - I didn't follow the structure/pattern. :)

Αυτό το "παίρνω" είναι σαν το "βολεύω" (λειτουργεί σαν το βολεύω; ), δηλαδή; (για να το καταλάβω) ... δεν με παίρνει = δεν με βολεύει (πάνω κάτω);

Και για την καθαρά οικονομική έννοια του afford, μπορούμε να πούμε και «βγαίνω»:
I couldn't afford both rent and mortgage payments = Με το ενοίκιο και τη δόση του δανείου, δεν έβγαινα.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αυτό το "παίρνω" είναι σαν το "βολεύω" (λειτουργεί σαν το βολεύω; ), δηλαδή; (για να το καταλάβω) ... δεν με παίρνει = δεν με βολεύει (πάνω κάτω);

Δεν με παίρνει να κάνω κάτι > Δεν έχω το περιθώριο να κάνω κάτι > Δεν έχω τη δυνατότητα να κάνω κάτι. > I can't afford to do sth.

pontios

Δεν με παίρνει να κάνω κάτι > Δεν έχω το περιθώριο να κάνω κάτι > Δεν έχω τη δυνατότητα να κάνω κάτι. > I can't afford to do sth.

Thank you, nickel.
«Δεν έχω το περιθώριο» reminded me a little of “I don’t have the wiggle room” (which has a different meaning, unsurprisingly).