metafrasi banner

prison pallor / silver splitters

Two terms used in the U.K.

"Prison pallor" refers to a person who spends their life indoors without getting the sun.
"Silver splitters" are those who, after very many years of marriage, have had enough of each other's company and want to divorce the other.
Are there any Greek corresponding terms, concise and perhaps even alliterative? ;)
I have lumped them together since two separate entries would perhaps be less memorable....:s

SBE

¥
I have heard neither before, but perhaps I am not reading the right material. In any case, these are expressions invented by writers (of articles or books) to make their text snappy, and they tend to be culture specific, so there is not necessarily a Greek equivalent. Some suggestions:
Prison pallor= χλωμάδα πεθαμένου (because prisoners in Greece are not kept in dungeons).
Silver splitters= that's harder. Γερο(ντο)χωρισμένοι is probably what comes to mind, but that's not a word I have heard before.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
χλωμάδα της κλεισούρας

νεοσύζυγοι γεροντοδιάζυγοι

None of them are terms; the first one is just a natural rendering for the pallor of anyone living mostly in any kind of enclosure away from the sun, e.g. scholars, or at night, e.g. bartenders, night watchmen and such, while the second one just came up for the alliteration of it. :-)

Thanks, both. These terms crop up in newspapers typically thus:- 'silver splitters' as they are called; in other words, the writer or a fellow-journalist probably coined the term. Similarly with 'prison pallor'. Being alliterative & thus memorable, it might stick.
Both of your contributions are excellent & deserve a wider audience! BTW, how are Greek prisoners kept if not in cells? See:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-87038/Our-hell-Greek-jail.html. :confused:

SBE

¥
As you can see from the article you quoted, Theseus, the prisoners are able to use payphones located in communal areas and are free to speak to journalists or anyone else. I think there was also one, a few years ago, who phoned in on a TV show to comment on something that was being discussed, because it was relevant to what he had done. And another one escaped via helicopter.
I have never seen a Greek prison from the inside, but these examples indicate that people are not locked up away from natural light.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Εκτός από το γεροντοέρωτες, μπορούμε να έχουμε επίσης γεροντοδιαζύγια και γεροντοχωρίσματα.

Το silver μπορεί να πει σε εκφράσεις με «των ασημένιων μαλλιών», αλλά πιο πιθανό είναι να δούμε «διαζύγια της τρίτης ηλικίας».

Για τα άτομα δεν έχουμε καλές λέξεις. Μόνο διαζευγμένους και χωρισμένους. Πριν από το διαζύγιο είναι «σε διάσταση» ή «στα μαχαίρια».

Σε ειδικές περιπτώσεις (αλλά πολύ λίγες) θα μπορούσαμε να μιλήσουμε για... 77 χρόνια φαγούρα. :)

Thanks, Nickel. We used to talk about a seven year itch; a 77 year one is inflationary :)! I like διαζύγια της τρίτης ηλικίας. I suppose σε διάσταση is 'separated' (with the young we now say 'on a break/taking a break', which I originally thought meant 'on holiday!)
As for στα μαχαίρια 'at daggers drawn' is a good equivalent.