χαρτωσά

From Alexandra's poem on her cat:-

που σκύλοι δέκα χαρτωσά δεν πιάνουνε μπροστά σου.

'To whom ten dogs do not hold a candle'.

I think the word means a hand at cards but is the meaning as above? Or does the 'ten' go with the χαρτωσά;
Moreover, what is the meaning in her footnote of πουσαπίζοντα γαλιδέα. 'A kitten doing push-ups' as in the wonderful animation? :confused::laugh:
Perhaps colleagues might 'enjoy' reading https://rubycloud.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/blog-post_16.html. Sad too.

SBE

¥
Δεν πιάνει χαρτωσιά = είναι κατώτερος, is inferior to (note the ι in χαρτωσιά).
It is a word from card games and if I am not mistaken χαρτωσιά is the cards that have been dealt, and by extension the round of a game. So δεν πιάνει χαρτωσιά = he/she cannot win a single game, as opposed to the other person who beats him/her all the time.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, the context:

Γάτα με τις εννιά ζωές και με τις ροζ πατούσες,
τη γούνα τη βελούδινη και τα χρυσά μουστάκια,
που σκύλοι δέκα χαρτωσά δεν πιάνουνε μπροστά σου,

ΥΓ. Και για όσους δεν κατάλαβαν, πρόκειται για το επίσημο γατόνημα της Λεξιλογίας, με επίτιμο χορηγό τον αόκνως πουσαπίζοντα γαλιδέα.

Yes, ten goes with the dogs.

Then the dictionary:

χαρτωσιά η [xartosxá] : τα φύλλα της τράπουλας που μαζεύει ένας παίκτης σε μια μοιρασιά, χάρη σ' ένα καλό χαρτί· μπάζα [SUB]2[/SUB]: Kάνω / πιάνω χαρτωσιά. ΦΡ δεν πιάνω χαρτωσιά (μπροστά σε κπ.), δεν μπορώ να συγκριθώ μ' αυτόν, είμαι πολύ κατώτερος από αυτόν: Πού να πιάσει αυτός χαρτωσιά μπροστά σου! Είναι τόσο φλύαρος που δεν μπορείς να πάρεις χαρτωσιά, να μιλήσεις κι εσύ. [χαρτ(ιά) -ωσιά]

μπάζα η [báza] : 1. (οικ.) οικονομικά κέρδη συνήθ. μεγάλα: Mεγάλη ~.Έκανε την ~ του, απόχτησε μεγάλη περιουσία. ΦΡ γερή ~, μεγάλο οικονομικό όφελος. 2. (σπάν.) χαρτωσιά. ΦΡ δεν πιάνω μπάζα (μπροστά σε κπ.), δεν μπορώ να συγκριθώ με κπ., είμαι πολύ κατώτερος από αυτόν.
[βεν. baza `κάρτες (στα χαρτιά) κερδισμένες από τον αντίπαλο, πετυχημένο κόλπο΄ (από τα αραβ.)]

To retain the card playing image and if the context allows, we might go for "you hold all the cards" (so they can't beat you).

And the song: You said - Madness

You must stop doing this, you've got to change
'Cause you hold all the cards, you've got the range

As for γαλιδέας, you've stumbled upon one of the greatest Lexilegends, Theseus, the fabled zazavatar.
Start here: Petition: Bring Zazcat back, and we'll fill in the gaps as they come up.
Oh, sorry, some taxonomy first: http://lexilogia.gr/forum/showthread.php?3928-Το-ευχετήριο-γαϊτάνι&p=43966&viewfull=1#post43966 :-)

SBE

¥
Needless to say that I have only heard the expression in songs, actually one song, this one (and I only know the Anna Fonsou version, which I can't find, and I am avoiding the Aliki Vougiouklaki version like the plague because I am over ten years old and the sight of our national kitten being kittenish is not to my taste, so here it is with a professional singer)

Τ’ αγόρι μου τ’ αγόρι μου τ’ αγόρι μου
γλυκό και τραγανό σαν καραμέλα
και πόζες όταν παίρνει άντρα ώριμου
τ’ αγόρι μου είναι μούρλια, είναι τρέλα

Χειλάκι πετροκέρασο και μάγουλο βερίκοκο,
ρίκο ρίκο ρίκοκο, ρίκοκο ρίκοκο,
ρίκο ρίκο ρίκοκο, ρίκο ρίκοκο.

Τ’ αγόρι μου είναι πλάσμα αξιοζήλευτο
το βλέμμα του, το γέλιο του ροσόλι,
μπροστά του δεν αξίζουν ούτε δίλεπτο,
δεν πιάνουν χαρτωσιά οι άντρες όλοι.

Ανήσυχο, θερμόαιμο, ζιζάνιο,
γεμάτο φλόγα, αίσθημα, μεράκι,
πικάντικο, ανεξήγητο και σπάνιο,
τ' αγόρι, το γλυκό μου τ' αγοράκι.

πετροκέρασο: rainier cherry, although that cultivar is much more recent than the song
ροσόλι: liqueur, very sweet alcoholic beverage
δίλεπτο: a coin that was not around when I was growing up, but which made a comeback in the common currency era ;)

Thanks so much for the help, 'Man & SBE. Thanks to your notes, SBE, the meaning of the song you provided is crystal clear. Does the word ζιζάνιο here mean 'rascal/pest' in a nice way? I've followed up your dictionary references, 'Man,--all as usual very useful. There is a version of ρίκοκο by Άννα Χρυσάφη Αθανασίου at https://youtu.be/KINpbT9gqEQ.

SBE

¥
I wondered whether I should include that or not. Yes, it means rascal, usually a child who is restless and causing trouble.