metafrasi banner

to be fair/ let's be fair

A filler used for making your criticism of someone or something seem less strong.
--I have never liked their music, although, to be fair, millions of people disagree with me.

But more often the phrase is used with no meaning at all, like 'I have to say'--my particular bête noire....

As the Urban Dictionary states brusquely:- 'A phrase unbelievably overused in the United Kingdom. Mostly by morons, to be fair.
--To be fair, I haven't bought the milk.
--To be fair, I have no idea how to use the phrase correctly.

Common similar other inane fillers are 'to be honest/innit/d'you know what I mean? & literally'.:devil::curse:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Για να είμαι ειλικρινής, for general use (although the exact equivalent for that one would be "to be honest") and perhaps then ειλικρινά for the filler.

Για να πω την αλήθεια, although that one is obviously "to tell the truth".

Για να πούμε και του στραβού το δίκιο, when we're to damn with faint praise:
ΦΡ για να πούμε και του στραβού το δίκιο, όταν δεχόμαστε ότι κάποιος μπορεί να έχει ένα ελαφρυντικό, μια δικαιολογία.

Σκυτάλη στους επόμενους.

But more often the phrase is used with no meaning at all, like 'I have to say'--my particular bête noire....
Common similar other inane fillers are 'to be honest/innit/d'you know what I mean? & literally'.:devil::curse:

Mine is just "just," to be fair. And actually, actually. Really, you know? :-)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Α, το σωστό να λέγεται, εδώ διαβάσαμε εξαιρετικές προτάσεις.

ΥΓ Αποφάσισα να βάζω και χρωματάκι εκτός από τα πλάγια για διευκόλυνση όσων διαβάζουν από κινητά κλπ συσκευές...

Το χαρβάτειο μου θύμισε το οφείλω να ομολογήσω/ ομολογώ ότι...

SBE

¥
Ομολογουμένως... χρησιμοποιούνται κάμποσο αυτά τα περιττά κι από Έλληνες που έχουν πλέον χρόνια ανάμεσα σε αγγλόφωνους.

For some reason or other, my original answer seems to have been expunged. I said I am grateful for the plethora of alternatives and the wealth of examples colleagues have given me and, more important, for the register of each expression. This is very difficult for a beginner to grasp.:)