Γνωρίζω τον αίτιον, και αν ζήσω παίρνομεν όλοι το χάκι....

Ο Καραϊσκάκης λίγες ώρες πριν πεθάνει άφησε να εννοηθεί ότι γνωρίζει τους δράστες. Δίνοντας μάλιστα ένα από τα γνωστά ρεσιτάλ βωμολοχίας είπε στους συναγωνιστές του: «Γνωρίζω τον αίτιον, και αν ζήσω παίρνομεν όλοι το χάκι (εκδίκηση), ειδέ και πεθάνω, ας μου κλάσει τον μπούτζον και αυτός».
Τι σημαίνουν στα Αγγλικά αυτές οι τελευταίες λέξεις του Καραϊσκάκη; Προφανώς το «ειδέ» σημαίνει κάτι σαν «αν/κι αν». :s
Ποιος είναι ο πούτσος που αναφέρεται στο κείμενο;

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I know who did it; if I live, we will give them their just desserts, or else, should I die, he can suck my dick (for all I care).

First things first:
ειδέ means but, in case of, otherwise etc. depending on context.
Πούτσος means dick, cock (same meaning, same register).
Κλάσε μου τον πούτσο is a synonym of κλάσε μου τ' αρχίδια or θα μου κλάσεις τ' αρχίδια. Literal translation: fart on my dick/balls.

It means I don't give a shit about what you say because I don't believe it and I'm therefore challenging you. For instance, imagine this scene: Two cars collide, the drivers get out, and the following dialogue ensues:

— Πρόσεχε, ρε μαλάκα! [Watch where you're going, you wanker!]
— Ποιον λες «μαλάκα», ρε μαλάκα; Θα σε σπάσω στο ξύλο! [Who are you calling "wanker", wanker? I'll kick your ass!]
— Θα μου κλάσεις τ' αρχίδια! [You can suck my dick 'cause you're doing nothing of the sort!]

Χάκι does not mean revenge but right. I believe it comes from the Turkish word hak, meaning justice, right. There's even an expression, hakkını almak, litterally to take one's right, i.e. get what's coming to you.

After all this cussing, I feel like going to the fridge, getting a beer and then taking my truck out for a ride :D

Χμ. Χυδαιότερο απ' ο,τι είχα προβλέψει. Καλή μπίρα και καλή εκδρομούλα!

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I think that Karaiskakis is notorious for having used profanity all the time; there are quite a few anecdotes like the one you just quoted above.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Karaiskakis was famous for his language, Theseus. Have a look here...

----
Edit: Pal says "notorious", I said "famous". A point of view thing, surely... :)

Thanks, Dr & Palavra! I didn't know that Karaiskakis had a reputation for colourful language. Thanks to both of you, I know it now. I hope I didn't offend you, Palavra. I wasn't criticising yor answer. It is simply that I was unaware of the linguistic register the quotation from Karaiskakis actually had.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I hope I didn't offend you, Palavra. I wasn't criticising yor answer.
Don't worry, I'm not offended :)

(I should note, however, I have been known to use the above expressions when I'm angry, as the good Doc will surely tell you :D )

Earion

Staff member
On another note, you surely know, Theseus, that both τσ |ts|, and τζ |dz| were represented by τζ until well into the 19th century.

Earion

Staff member
This is the reason for the queer (but phonetically more accurate) spelling: τομπούτζον (= |to[SUP]m[/SUP]bútson|).