η κρεβατοκάμαρα ήταν μια κάμαρα σκοτεινή

I should like some guidance on the position of the adjective in modern Greek. I have seen this type of sentence many times & I wonder if there is a rule, governing this position of the epithet. Here is another example,where two adjectives are used in different positions:-
-αυτή η χώρα παράγει, αν δεν κάνω λάθος, κρασιά εκλεκτά και άλλα ωραία ποτά.

After the verb 'to be' is there any necessity to use the definite/indefinite article? Thus, could η κρεβατοκάμαρα ήταν σκοτεινή/σκοτεινή κάμαρα be adequate but such a sentence sounds like an attempt at beginners' Greek & lacks the balance & euphony of the above examples. Does spoken Greek always use the epithet before the noun, except in stock phrases, like the English 'a court martial' & the original 'knights of the table round'?:cry:

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Hi, Theseus!

The position of the adjective in your phrase Η κρεβατοκάμαρα ήταν σκοτεινή is that of a predicate.

In the sentence Η κρεβατοκάμαρα ήταν μια κάμαρα σκοτεινή, the adjective σκοτεινή can be placed both before and after the noun. If it's placed after the noun, it just adds a small emphasis. The same goes for κρασιά εκλεκτά: you can say εκλεκτά κρασιά without affecting the meaning of the phrase in any manner whatsoever; however, if you place the adjective after the noun, you will be adding, once again, a small emphasis on the quality of the wines.

Ευχαριστώ, Παλαβρα! Είναι άραγε απαραίτητο το αόριστο άρθρο 'μια' σε μια τέτοια πρόταση;:)

Ναι, είναι απαραίτητο.

Ακριβώς όπως και στην αντίστοιχη αγγλική: The bedroom was a dark room.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Μήπως είδατε το σκύλο μου μικρό; :-)

Έχετε αρχίσει όλοι να μου θυμίζετε αυτούς εδώ τους τύπους: :D

~ Devil Daeman incarnate

Post-positive adjectives

Btw, last night was white again for me (nuit blanche) because of the "sword unbreakable", the "breastplate impenetrable" and the "helmet invulnerable":

TheGreatUniter

It would sound slightly unatural or eccentric at least to the average individual that has Modern Greek as his mother tongue, but there nothing to worry about. You will live. I am all about eccentricity in my usage of the Modern Greek tongue. I don't follow the hive mind.

Again, "euphony" is actually in fact something subjective and I can't see what you mean by "balance" either.

Thanks, The GreatUniter. I don't agree about euphony. Some lines from the beginning of Tennyson's Lotos Eaters are indubitably euphonious:-
All round the coast the languid air did swoon,
Breathing like one that hath a weary dream.
And these lines from Coleridge's Rime to the Ancient Mariner are cacophonous:-
With throats unslaked, with black lips baked,
Agape they heard me call.”
To say something is subjective is meant to be an objective statement & involves falling into a philosophical trap.
By 'balance' I was referring in the above question to the figure of speech called chiasmus: in the Greek example it referred to noun adjective, adjective noun - abba.