άρχοντας

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, άρχοντας means lord, seigneur, ruler, prince, dominator. It comes from the verb "άρχω" which means to rule, to govern.

It can also be used metaphorically to indicate a rich person who has a luxurious life. Another metaphorical meaning is a dignified and generous person.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Out of curiosity, which Turkish word have they used? This Greek word is roughly the equivalent of "efendi" or "bey" (i.e. the Ottoman title, not "Mr."). And if it's not too much, would you also tell us the entire Greek phrase in which "άρχοντας" appears?

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Or, is this the extract where the word appears?

ήσουν εσύ Παππού, από το αγαπημένο χώμα της Κρήτης, και στέκοσουν μπροστά μου, άρχοντας αυστηρός, με το σφηνωτό γενάκι το κάτασπρο, με τα στεγνά χείλια τα σφιγμένα, με το εκστατικό μάτι, το γεμάτο φλόγες και φτερούγες, και στα μαλλιά σου περιπλέκουνταν ρίζες από θυμάρι.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Γεωργακάς:

άρχοντας: [...] ② AG hist magistrate, official, archon (syn L άρχων1): ήταν τόσοι πολλοί οι Aχαιοί ώστε δε διατηρήθηκε κανένα όνομα άρχοντά τους (ChZalokostas) | poem μαζεμένοι σμάρια σμάρια, σάμπως σε σφηκοφωλιές, | πάνε και δικάζουν όπου ο ~κλ (Stavrou Ar)

altan

The translater had used "yargıç" the entire book, for Λαδάς of Ο Χριστός ξανασταυρώνεται.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Hm, in that case I'm not sure if the translation is all that wrong; Ladas is a προεστός, or kocabaşı, meaning that as such he does have some customary local judicial authority, usually for petty crimes. Unfortunately, it's been ages since I last read the book so I don't remember if there are such scenes in it, but I believe that this is why άρχοντας was translated as yargınç in that particular case.

That said, yargınç is a rather restrictive term, focusing only on one of his qualities.