θεατρίνα

athina

Να ρωτήσω ακόμα κάτι. Μπορούμε να χρησιμοποιήσουμε τον όρο ham για τη λέξη θεατρίνα?
Πρόκειται για κάποιον που χρησιμοποιεί το συγκεκριμένο όρο για να μιλήσει υποτιμητικά για μια ηθοποιό.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
The Free Dictionary:
ham n.
6. A performer who overacts or exaggerates.
7. A licensed amateur radio operator.
v. hammed, ham·ming, hams
v.intr.
To overact.
v.tr.
To exaggerate or overdo (a dramatic role, for example).
[Middle English hamme, from Old English hamm. N., senses 6 and 7, possibly from ham-fatter, a poor or amateurish actor.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ham
(2) n
1. (Performing Arts / Theatre) Theatre informal
a. an actor who overacts or relies on stock gestures or mannerisms
b. overacting or clumsy acting
c. (as modifier) a ham actor
vb hams, hamming, hammed Informal
to overact
[special use of ham (1); in some senses probably influenced by amateur]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

OED:
ham
II.5.a [App. short for hamfatter.] An inexpert performer; (also ham actor, ham actress) an ineffective or over-emphatic actor, one who rants or overacts. slang (orig. U.S.).

1882 Illustr. Sport. & Dram. News 23 Dec. 355/2 ‘Banjo Hams’ are held up to scorn. Ibid., One writer proudly describes himself as ‘no ham, but a classical banjo player’. 1903 S. Clapin New Dict. Amer. 220 Ham, in theatrical parlance, a tenth-rate actor or variety performer. 1911 Hampton's Mag. Aug. 178/1 It was the voice of what is known as a ‘ham’, because Shakespeare once wrote a play. A ‘ham’ actor. 1926 H. C. Witwer Roughly Speaking 223 Ham actors get a extra split week at a picture house if their fearful monologs put the ladies on the broiler. 1928 Daily Express 20 June 9/4 Sophie Tucker will, in all probability, appear in a revue next autumn.‥ ‘You have never seen me in revue,’ Sophie reminded me, ‘I am a ham actor too, you know.’ 1933 ‘Hay’ & ‘Armstrong’ Orders are Orders ii. 51 ‘We'd better have Harvey‥to double for him.’‥‘That old ham actor?’ 1936 Wodehouse Laughing Gas xviii. 200 Just one of these ham actors that's jealous of a fellow's screen genius. 1941 E. Wilson Wound & Bow i. 61 Dickens had a strain of the ham in him, and, in the desperation of his later life, he gave in to the old ham and let him rip. 1947 N. Marsh Final Curtain xii. 179 A squalid little ham actress. 1957 V. J. Kehoe Technique Film & T.V. Make-Up i. 15 The expression ‘ham’ actor originated from those performers who rubbed ham rind on their faces as a base for their colored powders when they could not afford the more expensive and less odoriferous oils. 1958 Times 16 Apr. 3/2 ‘He thought I was an old ham,’ says Miss Seyler indulgently.

II.5.b An inexpert or over-theatrical performance; ham acting. slang.

1942 R. Chandler High Window (1943) xxx. 195 Don't feed me the ham. I've been in pictures. I'm a connoisseur of ham. 1959 Times Lit. Suppl. 20 Feb. 95/3 Charles Dickens .‥saw Lemaître in his late period and was swept off his feet, but what he says might apply equally well to ham acting. In fact, it sounds suspiciously like ham. 1959 Listener 28 May 954/2 The mummer who thinks that all acting before his time was ‘ham’.

B. attrib. or as adj.
1. Characteristic of or relating to a ham actor or an inexpert performer; self-consciously theatrical. slang.

1935 H. Williams 4 Yrs. Old Vic xi. 186 Young players to-day are scared of being what they call ‘ham’, which I suppose is an abbreviation of what used to be termed ‘ham-bone’. 1938 Evening Standard 26 July 7/2 We hear a great deal about ‘ham’ acting nowadays. As far as I can judge, ‘ham’ acting is the habit of rolling sonorous speeches round the tongue and delivering them with extravagant relish to the gallery. 1944 Auden Sea & Mirror in For Time Being iii. 56 The schmalz tenor never quite able at his big moments to get right up nor the ham bass right down. 1958 B. Nichols Sweet & Twenties xvii. 231 His conception of aristocracy was strangely out of date, and more than a little ‘ham’. 1958 Observer 4 May 15/7 It is one of the most extraordinary exhibitions of ham acting I've ever seen.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αν έλεγες θεατρίνα την κόρη σου, επειδή της αρέσει να θεατρινίζει για να τραβάει την προσοχή, θα ταίριαζε το «She's a ham». Το ίδιο και όταν το λες για ηθοποιό του κινηματογράφου, ότι υπερβάλλει στο παίξιμό της όπως όταν βρίσκεσαι στο σανίδι και πρέπει να σ' ακούσουν μέχρι τον τελευταίο εξώστη.

athina

Αν έλεγες θεατρίνα την κόρη σου, επειδή της αρέσει να θεατρινίζει για να τραβάει την προσοχή, θα ταίριαζε το «She's a ham».

Για μια τέτοια περίπτωση πρόκειται.