metafrasi banner

Throw my pyjama top onto the landing, please!

A request made by my son to my wife yesterday! It provides many interesting questions for me to ask, all related.
What is the Greek for a pyjama top and the landing in a house [meaning here ' the intermediate platform on a flight of stairs'].
Is there a difference in Greek in the words for 'a dress top/a pyjama top/a tracksuit top? What is the opposite in Greek viz. pyjama bottoms/ tracksuit top. The dictionaries I have don't help at all.:angry::confused:

SBE

¥
landing = κεφαλόσκαλο
I'm afraid I can't help with the pyjama top. I've only heard of παντελόνι της πυζάμας and I'm not sure what you'd call the top.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Πέτα το πάνω της πιτζάμας μου στο πλατύσκαλο, σε παρακαλώ! (Palavra's note: a Greek child would probably say «Μαμά, μου πετάς το πάνω της πιτζάμας μου στο πλατύσκαλο;» No "please", but the question used replaces it).

As for your clothing question: you say «η μπλούζα της πιτζάμας μου/της φόρμας μου», or «το πάνω της πιτζάμας μου/της φόρμας μου». Likewise, you say «το παντελόνι της πιτζάμας μου/της φόρμας μου» or «το κάτω της πιτζάμας μου/της φόρμας μου».

As for "dress top", there are variations according to the type of dress, but «το πάνω του φορέματός μου» would be a place to start.

Edit, as I just saw SBE's post: «πλατύσκαλο» can also be an intermediate place to stand between two flights of steps ("landing"), whereas «κεφαλόσκαλο» is the top landing, i.e. the highest step on a flight of steps.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Το πάνω μέρος της πιτζάμας will give about 30 google hits, which is more than the sum total of the other combinations.