metafrasi banner

I've got a frog in my throat

Meaning

Temporary hoarseness caused by phlegm in the back of the throat prevents me from speaking properly
This is probably an American phrase. There are many examples of its use in the USA from the late 19th century, but none from other English-speaking countries until the middle years of the 20th century. The earliest reference is from an advertisement for a proprietary medicine that adopted the term as its name, in The Stevens Point Journal, November 1894:

"The Taylor Bros. say that 'Frog in the Throat' will cure hoarseness. 10 cents a box."

In December of the following year, The Middletown Daily Argus ran a similar advert for a rival product:

"Throat Lozenges - Our own formula for 'frog in the throat' - tickling cough - hoarseness, etc. 10 cents a box.":curse::wub::blush:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member

LOL, I didn't know the origin of the phrase. Anyone who makes such an unlikely choice of name deserves a reversal of fortune.

I don't think we have anything particularly idiomatic In Greek: έχω βραχνιάσει, έκλεισε ο λαιμός μου come to mind.

The animal in our case is κόκορας: βραχνοκόκορας is a person with a hoarse, raspy, croaky voice. But this is not an equivalent of our phrase.

We have a similar phrase for the sound coming from the chest when we have the flu, for example.

Έχει γατάκια στο στήθος (που γουργουρίζουν): ακροαστικά.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
The animal in our case is κόκορας: βραχνοκόκορας is a person with a hoarse, raspy, croaky voice. But this is not an equivalent of our phrase.
I've also heard "κοκοράκι" as an equivalent of the sound you make when you have a frog in your throat.