metafrasi banner

simples

Is there a Greek eqiuvalent for this new piece of slang, originating in a very succesful advert? It has even produced 'plurals' in imitation, another (and only example) being 'laters' i.e. i'll see you later/wait till later.
For information, here is the background. It begins with Aleksandr Orlov, the meerkat.
The new interjection simples is in fact the lexical by-product of a highly successful TV advertising campaign for price comparison website comparethemarket.com. The expression was 'coined' by Aleksandr Orlov, a CGI Meerkat and 'owner' of spoof website comparethemeerkat.com. (The website does actually exist, and yes – you really can compare meerkats!) The adorable Aleksandr Orlov gently points out to us the difference between the two web addresses, declaring that the distinction is: 'simples!' The campaign has had such popular appeal that Aleksandr Orlov the meerkat is now enjoying cult status in Britain, attracting over half a million fans on Facebook. One group is campaigning for him to become Prime Minister under the slogan 'Anybody but Labour. SIMPLES.' His catchphrase has leapt into the lexicon of popular culture, and there's now even a web-based petition to get simples added to the Oxford English Dictionary. Meanwhile the ad has also paid dividends for comparethemarket.com, which has reportedly seen sales double since it was launched.
So 'simples' is now an informal interjection used to say that something is not complicated and very easy to understand
--'If Everton won't sell him, City can't buy him, simples – City must move on and bid for other defenders …'
Vital Football 11th August 2009.
--'Nokia have left entering the netbook market for some time but here's their first foray into the market with what they prefer to call a "mini laptop" … It has HDMI out. Plug into your TV and watch your HD video … Simples!!'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTSCUYcp20A
:eek:mg:;)

SBE

¥
I'm sure there will be suggestions, as always, Theseus, but, as you point out, it is a new piece of english slang, although I would call it a jocular (mis)use of grammar.

This is old news for American English. The Internet has spawned myriads of such plurals, like lamez and fuckz ("this is lamez"). It has even moved to a new level, with the addition of -ore to the suffix (lamezore or lamezor, usually written with a zero rather than "o"). In Greek gamespeak, the variant most used is with the -zorz suffix (lamezorz or lamezors). It's mostly online-gaming speak and used variably either as normal plural, an adjective or just exclamation (which is equivalent to Greek exclamations μαλακία!, γαμώτο!, πουστιά!, κ.α. παρόμοια).

I doubt that anyone above the age of 30 would know any of these, except, perhaps, those who have a nephew, a younger sibling or a kid who plays videogames.