metafrasi banner

man boobs

SBE

¥
I don't think that the phenomenon (of making fun of gynaecomastia) is as much part of Greek popular culture as it is of American/ anglo-saxon pop culture. So I can't offer a translation other than the medical term. Let's wait for other opinions.

Comment on SBE

I personally don't make fun of the phenomenon any more than that of the immoral dwarf-throwing , made notorious by the England world cup rugby squad but it is a fact that it is considered by many American/Anglo-Saxon boors to be a joke. However, many in Britain too do not treat it as a joke but as an insult offensive enough to kill a person who uses this term against them in derision. Thanks for your comment.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think we have a similar term in Greek. For a man who has gynaecomastia, I think we'd just say "έχει βυζιά". But I too suggest waiting for the more informed on the modern slang members of the forum.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we have a similar term in Greek. For a man who has gynaecomastia, I think we'd just say "έχει βυζιά". But I too suggest waiting for the more informed on the modern slang members of the forum.

With no intention whatsoever for derision against men with breasts bigger than usual*, here's a couple that I just made up, just for the fun of wordplay, not to be used of course: αντρομαστάρια for man boobs and μασταράντρας (οικ. μασταράντζα) for a boobed man, as it were.

@ Theseus: μαστός, μαστάρι, μαστοράντζα. You can see that μαστάρια means animal breasts, but sometimes it's used mockingly for big and flabby ones.

*Well, there's hardly anything more offensive than murder, nevertheless we have many words to describe it.