metafrasi banner

on the house

Of a drink. It's on the house. (of a drink or meal in a bar or restaurant) at the management's expense; free.
"our first rounds always came on the house'. Would I say:- κερνάει το μαγαζί/η ταβέρνα?
:clap:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Would I say:- κερνάει το μαγαζί/η ταβέρνα?

Exactly, Theseus!

The first one with "μαγαζί" or "κατάστημα" would be appropriate for any drinking or eating establishment, while the second one only for a ταβέρνα.

There's also the general "Κερασμένο / Κερασμένα" for anything offered without charge, be it by the owner or another patron of said establishment.

I'd use that one for your example:

"Our first rounds always came on the house" > Τα πρώτα ποτά ήταν πάντα κερασμένα απ' το μαγαζί / Τον πρώτο γύρο τον κερνούσε πάντα το κατάστημα.

Τα τραγούδια μια σταλιά - Μίλτος Πασχαλίδης

Κερασμένα τα ποτά
κερασμένα τα τραγούδια
μου το έμαθαν καλά
τα μικρά μου αγγελούδια

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... What a Greek would say and what a dictionary says are often at odds.

It would not be inappropriate to use the verb instead of its participle and say "Τα πρώτα ποτά τα κερνούσε πάντα το μαγαζί", far from it in fact; it's common and that's what the dictionaries record.

It's just that I often used the variation with the participle in my bartender days of old, so that one came first to my mind and seemed to me the natural choice, but that's a personal choice, not necessarily applicable in general, although it's also common.

The participle is particularly useful when the person serving the drinks wants to avoid disclosing who pays for them —initially at least, because it begs the question "Από ποιον;" or "Ποιος τα κερνάει;"

Εμείς εδώ δεν ήρθαμε
να φάμε και να πιούμε
Μόνο σας αγαπούσαμε
κι ήρθαμε να σας δούμε
Μας παίνεσαν και το κρασί
κέρνα μας, κέρνα μας
κι ήρθαμε να το πιούμε
άιντε να κερνάς, να καλοπερνάς

That's the first sense of the verb κερνώ: to offer drink mainly (or a treat), regardless of who pays the price; in this case there is no payment anyway, for drink and food offered at a wedding. That's a free lunch, although there is no free lunch. :-)

κερνώ:
1. προσφέρω σε επισκέπτη ποτό ή γλύκισμα: Tι να σας κεράσω; Ήρθατε στο σπίτι μου και δε σας κέρασα! (έκφρ.) κερνάω κπ. πίκρες*. ΠAΡ Γιάννης* κερνάει και Γιάννης πίνει. ||Kέρασε τους συναδέλφους για τη γέννηση του γιου του.

2α. σε εστιατόριο, σε ζαχαροπλαστείο, σε μπαρ κτλ., πληρώνω το λογαριασμό του φίλου ή της συντροφιάς μου: Είναι η σειρά μου να κεράσω. Έλα να σε κεράσω ένα ποτό. Aυτό το κερνάω εγώ. || Kερνάει το κατάστημα / το μαγαζί, προσφέρει δωρεάν. β. (προφ.): Kερνάω εγώ τα εισιτήρια.

[μσν. κερνώ (στη νέα σημ.) < αρχ. κεράννυμι `ανακατεύω (κρασί με νερό)΄]

Offering someone something
for the first one, buying someone something for the second one, with the original sense stemming from mixing wine with water to serve it.