metafrasi banner

come down to / come right down to

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amount to or be reduced to, as in It all comes down to a matter of who was first in line, or When it comes right down to it, you have to admit he was mistaken. [Late 1800s] Also see boil down, def. 2.

Για το πρώτο παράδειγμα, θα έλεγα "Η ουσία είναι...", αλλά για το δεύτερο μού φαίνεται ότι δεν ταιριάζει, επειδή μου τα χαλάει το when.

Η πρόταση που έχω να μεταφράσω, παρομοίως με το δεύτερο παράδειγμα, λέει: When it came right down to it, I didn't know what to do but tell him the truth.

bernardina

Η πρόταση που έχω να μεταφράσω, παρομοίως με το δεύτερο παράδειγμα, λέει: When it came right down to it, I didn't know what to do but tell him the truth.

Στην πρότασή σου δεν θα δίσταζα να γράψω κάτι σαν: όταν έφτασε η κρίσιμη στιγμή ή όταν έφτασε ο κόμπος στο χτένι ή όταν δεν γινόταν πια τίποτ' άλλο, κλπ.
Αν και στην πραγματικότητα οι σημασίες είναι άλλες:

come down to
1. To confront or deal with forthrightly: When you come right down to it, you have to admit I'm correct.
2. To amount to in essence: It comes down to this: the man is a cheat.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Με το when it came right down to it, έχουμε, όπως λέει και η Μπέρνι, (πάλι) μια non-standard use, διότι η σημασία είναι εκείνη του ιδιωματισμού when it came to the crunch (a crucial point or situation, typically one at which a decision with important consequences must be made). Επαναλαμβάνω:
όταν έφτασε ο κόμπος στο χτένι
την κρίσιμη στιγμή
την ώρα της αλήθειας