το φωτεινό ιπποδρόμιο

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
The story must be however from way back, older than the 60s or the 70s. Vendors selling razors and combs etc. should be something of pre-WWII days or at most, of the early 50s. (If it were of the 60s, then I am sure some of the Lexilogists that are not in their prime would have heard of something called φωτεινό ιπποδρόμιο... :) )

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Now this could well be a «φωτεινό ιπποδρόμιο» imho; one sold by small time vendors together with razors and such...

-----------------------------------------------------------
More links, unfortunately broken, below the line
-----------------------------------------------------------

Start reading here: http://www.esnarf.com/860ak.htm

Attachments

• or8io.jpg
    or8io.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

SBE

¥
Speaking of Greek magazines, here is some trivia of the magazines everybody was reading in the later part of the last century (or at least the grown ups): Ταχυδρόμος (news and lifestyle), Ρομάντζο (midlle of the road family entertainment magazine, several well known artists worked for it), Ραδιοτηλεόραση (self explanatory), Γυναίκα (ditto). Those I think where the ones you would find in almost every home or doctor's waiting room or hairdresser's, followed by Εικόνες (greek version of Life), Επίκαιρα (news), Πάνθεον (womens, but more about feminism than fashion) were also in doctor's waiting rooms, then at the hairdressers there was Φαντάζιο, Ντομινό, Βεντέτα, which were so low-brow, Ρομαντσο readers were intellectuals by comparison. One of the last three, I don't remember which one, was full of φωτορομάντζα, photocomics, which were all about romantic love stories, hence the name.

They were read by young women with long hair with side partings, a flower in their ear and slanted eyeliner, who wore mini skirts, would go to the περίπτερο in plastic slippers to buy bubblegum and a magazine. Yes, I am describing a neighbour here. She was probably 18, she was a Toula or Soula she was a trainee hairdresser, had dropped out of school and was probably a 70s version of 1960s Aliki Vougiouklaki. My grandmother strongly disapproved of her clothes, shoes (or lack thereof) and demeanour, especially popping bubble gum and gossiping.
On the other end of the spectrum, a Πανθεον reader was our next door neighbour, in her 30s, well educated for a woman of the time, a civil servant married to an accountant, they had BOOKS at home, she used to have useless hobbies like macrame and they used to have wild parties every Carnival season.
OK, reminiscing over. Back to work...

That at last is must be what is referred to, ὦ ἀγαθέ μου Δρ! The vocabulary gives 'lit up' for φωτεινός & only 'racecourse' for ιπποδρόμιο: hence, 'the lit up racecourse'--which precisely answers to context & vocabulary. I actually half remember such magic races. The illustration clinches it. And, wow, SBE, all that information was so useful. Reminiscing of the kind you have given me I love. It sparks off in me so many memories. Cigarette cards & marbles, comics & strange magazines in doctors' surgeries, hair styles & awkward attempts at romance.
Quite clearly the book was compiled against a background when the reader would clearly understand what was referred to. The Dr's research has at last turned up trumps (please, not another!!).