Μα μιά βραδυά φουρτουνιασμένη
άδικα εκείνη περιμένει
αφήκε εκείνος την στεριά
και πάει μακριά

Έφυγε με το πυροφάνι
ποτέ πιά πίσω δεν εφάνη
κι ενώ κυτάζει με μιά ελπίδα της κρυφή
το μαϊστράλι φέρνει ετούτη τη στροφή

Αχ ψαροπούλα μες στις θάλασσες και στ’ ακρογιάλια κτλ.

I understand nearly all of this: presumably the word in blue bold means not a fishing boat but a fish maid(!!) and the words in red means 'she clings to him'.

SBE

¥
Correct and correct. Ηοwever if you listen carefully it says κρύβεται απάνω του εκείνη σαν παιδί.
This is one my favourite Vembo songs. Ι thought it was in my list of pre-war suggestions.
The other favourite is of course Παιδιά, της Ελλάδος παιδιά which is topical, as we are only ten days away from our national holiday

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
I understand nearly all of this: presumably the word in blue bold means not a fishing boat but a fish maid(!!) and the words in red means 'she clings to him'.

-όπουλος, -οπούλα, -όπουλο is maybe the most important of the suffixes showing the "son/daughter-of" or the "offspring-of":

See for example many Greek surnames:

Γεωργόπουλος - the son of Γεώργιος

Βασιλόπουλος - the son of Βασίλης, but βασιλόπουλο - the son of a king and βασιλοπούλα - the daughter of a king (the daughter of Βασίλης is Ms. Βασιλοπούλου)

This can extend to animals (κοτόπουλο, tho offspirng of a hen).

Earion

Staff member
... and I bet there is a word play hidden in the verse, because ψαροπούλα usually means the fishing boat and not the fisherman's daughter.

Ωραίο τραγούδι· κοντά στον Θησέα μαθαίνω κι εγώ για τη σύγχρονη μουσική μας κληρονομιά. Πάντως οι στίχοι όπως παρατίθενται εδώ μοιάζουν να καταγράφηκαν πριν από δεκαετίες, κρίνοντας από κάποιες ιδιαιτερότητες της ορθογραφίας, ενώ υπάρχουν και ορισμένες μικροδιαφορές με το τραγούδι όπως ακούγεται στο βίντεο (πέρα από το «κρύβεται», η Βέμπο τραγουδάει όχι «αφήκε εκείνος τη στεριά» αλλά «άφησε», ή έστω «αφήσε» για το μέτρο) που με κάνουν να αναρωτιέμαι αν ήταν σύνηθες φαινόμενο οι παραλλαγές των στίχων στα τραγούδια, έστω και σε τέτοιον μικρό βαθμό.

Τhanks to all for their help and comments. I have one or two queries: I heard κρύβεται but I entered the version from kithara http://kithara.to/ss.php?id=MTk4ODE2MjI0. Presumably κρύβεται απάνω του means 'she snuggles up to him'. I'll have a go later at translating Παιδιά, της Ελλάδος παιδιά. Thanks for the -όπουλος, -α information, Dr. So it's something like the Turkish -oğlu.
What does κοντά στον Θησέα mean, Duke: 'near to, close to' doesn't make much sense in English. But, like you, I have noticed the different forms and shifting accents of words. Presumably as you say these are metri causa. I observed but dismissed, perhaps too hastily, the other meaning of ψαροπούλα but the pun didn't seem to work. :)

Η σημασία εδώ είναι «μαζί με τον Θησέα», «along with Theseus». Ως προς τις παραλλαγές, αναφερόμουν στη διαφοροποίηση μεταξύ π.χ. του «σφίγγεται» και του «κρύβεται»: το μέτρο είναι ακριβώς το ίδιο, αλλά η λέξη είναι εμφανώς διαφορετική. Μου κίνησε την περιέργεια.

Thanks, Duke. I have met these variations in many songs. It has been pointed out by several colleagues that στίχοι.info has often inaccurate texts. I have found κιθάρα better but many of the versions of songs found there are abbreviated.
For instance. Κυκλάμινο, κυκλάμινο in several versions has Κυκλαδικό or κυκλαδινό as the first word: certainly wrong & it spoils the plaintive effect of the repetition.
We should wait for the observations of other colleagues. :)

Thanks, both. I will try and find an English equivalent but apart from Nickel's "a rising tide lifts all boats" [translatum?], I cannot think of a suitable equivalent: perhaps, "give the rich steak and they give the poor crumbs". From a modified reggae song...:down:

Perhaps the parable of Dives and Lazarus can give us a helping hand: give the rich man bread and the dog has crumbs.:)

SBE

¥
Όχι, Δούκα, απλά ο Θησέας ψάχνει να βρει τους στίχουν ονλάιν, συνήθως σε σάιτ με στίχους που πάει ο καθενας και γράφει ό,τι θέλει κι ό,τι θυμάται. Τώρα γιατί άλλα ακούνε κι άλλα γράφουνε δεν ξέρω.
Αν και κανονικά, για να έχει εκπαιδευτικό χαρακτήρα η άσκηση, κατά τη γνώμη μου θα πρέπει ο μαθητής να προσπαθεί να καταλάβει τους στίχους χωρίς βοήθεια.

SBE

¥
Theseus, a general knowledge note. You might come across some Vembo singing traditional songs with a thick regional accent. They are humorous and the accent is part of the humor. Feel free to listen, but don't attempt a translation. Τhere are whole verses where I think the only person who knows what is being said is Vembo herself.

Thanks, SBE. I'll bear your cautionary advice in mind, should I encounter such songs. I'm working on Παιδιά, της Ελλάδος παιδιά but it is taking time: no difficulties so far. I'll post it tomorrow when I've finished.:)
Ο Επέτειος του «'Οχι» is nearly upon us. It will definitely be done by then.....:lol:

Earion

Staff member

Σοφία Βέμπο. Ζεχρά (1938)
Μουσική Μιχάλης Σουγιούλ, στίχοι Αιμίλιος Σαββίδης.

A beautiful song with haunting words and music!
One problem of translation. I know what the word means but how to translate it!

Zehra (Ζεχρά)

Μες στους δρόμους της Βαγδάτης
είδαν τη κορμοστασιά της
και ζηλέψανε.
Και μια νύχτα δίχως άστρα
μπήκαν στα ψηλά τα κάστρα
και την κλέψανε.

Έτσι το ’θελε η Τύχη
και η Ζεχρά σε έναν σεΐχη
παραδόθηκε.
Και από τότε στο φεγγάρι
κλαίει κάποιο παλληκάρι
που προδόθηκε.

Ζεχρά,
πίστεψε με, Ζεχρά,
πως πονώ κι υποφέρω
δε σε λησμονώ.
Ζεχρά,
με δυο χείλη ωχρά
τ’όνομά σου προφέρω,
κλαίω και θρηνώ.

Γύρω μου είν’ όλα νεκρά,
σου τ’ορκίζομαι Ζεχρά

Perhaps κορμοστασιά is best rendered 'her poise and beauty':-

IMG_1221.JPG

SBE

¥
κορμοστασιά, η [kormostasxá] Ο24 : η στάση ενός καλοσχηματισμένου ανθρώπινου σώματος είτε ακίνητου είτε κατά τη βάδιση· το παράστημα: Έχει ωραία ~. [κορμ(ί) -ο- + στάσ(η) -ιά]

Therefore, poise would be appropriate. However, I think the listener is supposed to imagine someone like this:
398px-Vernet-Lecomte_2.jpg

Ζεχρά is a rather belated expression of the orientalist craze of the 1920s. And of course the orchestration is full of oriental elements. Whereas in the orchestration of the same piece for Παιδιά της Ελλάδος, the exotic element is toned down and the long intro is gone.

Thanks, SBE, for the translation & the beautiful picture. I only avoided 'poise' on its own because 'they saw her poise' sounded odd. But since poise here clearly means 'graceful and elegant bearing', I am satisfied.:)
Now to the stirring song:

I couldn't find any renderings at all of this song on YouTube by Sophia Vembo!!
Here is one interpretation:

Μες στους δρόμους τριγυρνάνε
οι μανάδες και κοιτάνε
ν’ αντικρίσουνε,
τα παιδιά τους π’ ορκιστήκαν
στο σταθμό όταν χωριστήκαν
να νικήσουνε.

Μα για ’κείνους που ’χουν φύγει
και η δόξα τους τυλίγει,
ας χαιρόμαστε,
και ποτέ καμιά ας μη κλάψει,
κάθε πόνο της ας κάψει,
κι ας ευχόμαστε:

Παιδιά, της Ελλάδος παιδιά,
που σκληρά πολεμάτε πάνω στα βουνά,
παιδιά στη γλυκιά Παναγιά
προσευχόμαστε όλες να ’ρθετε ξανά.

Λέω σ’ όσες αγαπούνε
και για κάποιον ξενυχτούνε
και στενάζουνε,
πως η πίκρα κι η τρεμούλα
σε μια τίμια Ελληνοπούλα,
δεν ταιριάζουνε.

Ελληνίδες του Ζαλόγγου
και της πόλης και του λόγγου
και Πλακιώτισσες,
όσο κι αν πικρά πονούμε
υπερήφανα ας πούμε
σαν Σουλιώτισσες.

Παιδιά, της Ελλάδος παιδιά,
που σκληρά πολεμάτε πάνω στα βουνά,
παιδιά στη γλυκιά Παναγιά
προσευχόμαστε όλες να ’ρθετε ξανά.

Με της νίκης τα κλαδιά,
σας προσμένουμε παιδιά

In the streets are wandering
The mothers and are searching
To meet their children who swore an oath
When they separated at the station
To go forth and conquer.

But for those who are gone
Wrapped in glory
Let us rejoice.
And let none of us ever weep
But burn all her heartache
And let us all wish:

Children, children of Greece
Who are fighting a tough fight on the mountains
We pray to the sweet Virgin Mary
We all pray that you, our children, come back again.

And to all those who love
And stay awake for someone
That bitterness and fearfulness
Do not become a proper daughter of Greece.

Greek Women of Zalongo
From the city and forest:
Women from Plaka
However bitter is our pain,
Let us proudly say,
like the women of Souli:

Children, children of Greece
Who are fighting a tough fight on the mountains
To the sweet Virgin Mary
We all pray, that you, our children, come back again

With the palms of victory
We await you, our children.