metafrasi banner

Never say die

The basic meaning is 'Don't give up!' It can also be used adjectivally:-
If you have a never-say-die attitude, you don't give up or get discouraged, no matter what. People love a never-say-die spirit because it describes people or teams that just don’t quit. Unless they die, then they can’t say it anymore.
A never-say-die soldier keeps on fighting even when the situation is scary and dangerous. Someone with a never-say-die attitude about winning a game will keep on playing hard even when they’re losing by a lot. You can also use this phrase to encourage someone who's feeling hopeless — a football coach might call to his struggling team, "Never-say-die!"
What is the best Greek for this? I have a strange volume of English to Greek idioms, which gives as the Greek equivalent πάντα να λες έχει ο Θεός but I have never come across this expression.:confused:

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
While I can't think of a reason why I do not like the Greek equivalent you found, I do not like it :) I think it's mostly because it translates as "God never forgets about you", "God will always look after you" etc., meaning its rather passive while the source language expression is proactive. The only alternative I can think of right now is «Δεν θα πεθάνουμε ποτέ (κουφάλα νεκροθάφτη)» (:D) but let's wait and see what others have to say.

Edit: I understood why. A coach would never, ever, ever say to his team's players «Έχει ο Θεός», as its actually a defeatist phrase.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Βάστα γερά! (βασταγερός)

Ποτέ μην τα παρατάς. Ποτέ μην εγκαταλείπεις. Θάρρος! Απτόητοι.

But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail!

Το θάρρος κάνε αρματωσιά, κι εμπρός!
Δε θ' αποτύχουμε.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height.
The game's afoot.

Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry "Δε θα πεθάνουμε ποτέ, κουφάλα νεκροθάφτη!
Ραντεβού στην κόλαση".

Και ξανά προς τη δόξα τραβά.

Mind Your Language S4 Ep1 - Never Say Die

pontios

Μην το βάζεις ποτέ κάτω;

What are we referring to here .. The upper lip?
Never let your( stiff) upper lip droop in the face of adversity .. Keep stiffening it ...Hmmm?

I have asked about a λουκανικός επιμελητής on the η φτώχια θέλει καλοπέραση thread. Thanks to all colleagues for their illuminating suggestions. Thanks to Pal Αύρα for the excellent note on πάντα να λες ο Θεός έχει.