Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Idioms > Ιδιωματισμοί (EN > EL)

pick up the tab (to pay for something, esp. for what someone else has bought or used) = πληρώνω τη λυπητερή / το τίμημα / το λογαριασμό, καλοπληρώνω

The company will pick up the tab for this trip.
    (Cambridge Dictionary)
    My father picked up the tab for my schoolbooks while I was studying at University.
    http://www.idiomeanings.com/pick-up-the-tab/
    There is no wand more powerful, Olivander himself has said. Tonight when the boy comes, it will not fail you I assure you.

it's not a hanging offence = δεν θα σε κρεμάσουμε κιόλας, δεν διέπραξες δα και κανένα έγκλημα

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...anging-offence

Κυριολεκτικά: έγκλημα που επισύρει την θανατική ποινή δι' απαγχονισμού. Μεταφορικά: αν χρησιμοποιείται σε άρνηση, ισοδυναμεί με την ελληνική έκφραση "Δεν θα σε κρεμάσουμε κιόλας", εκτός άρνησης θανάσιμο αμάρτημα, επιλήψιμη, κατακριτέα, αξιοκαταφρόνητη συμπεριφορά/πράξη κλπ.
    There is no wand more powerful, Olivander himself has said. Tonight when the boy comes, it will not fail you I assure you.

the life (and soul) of the party = η ψυχή της παρέας

He's a very sweet man but he's not exactly the life and soul of the party.
    Give him a few drinks and he's the life of the party!

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/...l+of+the+party

homebody (AmE) = σπιτόγατος

Since his marriage, Brett has become a homebody
    http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/homebody

Θεωρητικά, θεωρία και πράξη είναι το ίδιο πράγμα. Στην πράξη, όμως, διαφέρουν.
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

use it or lose it = αν την αφήσεις, θα σε αφήσει

Δεν καλύπτει όλες τις περιπτώσεις.

use it or lose it
    1. Skills or knowledge that are seldom applied are likely to be lost with time.

• 2009 — Angela Eward-Mangione, 101 Ways to Score Higher on Your GRE: What You Need to Know About the Graduate Record Exam Explained Simply, Atlantic Publishing Group, Inc. (2009), page 181:
      The reason that everyone must study for this section of the test is because no GRE test taker took their high school math classes yesterday, or last month for that matter. Have you ever heard the expression, "Use it or lose it?"
    • 2009 — Jay R. Slosar, The Culture of Excess: How America Lost Self-Control and Why We Need to Redefine Success, ABC-CLIO, LLC (2009), page 89:
      Today's clerk does not have to count out the change as those in the 1950s. Calculators and computers rule the day. But use it or lose it, and the ability to make calculations in one's head declines.
    • 2011 — Tim Wagle & Paul Theobald, "Connecting Communities and Schools: Accountability in the Post-NCLB Era", in The Phenomenon of Obama and the Agenda for Education: Can Hope Audaciously Trump Neoliberalism (eds. Paul R. Carr & Brad J. Porfilio), Information Age Publishing Inc. (2011), page 262:
      Any piece of curriculum, devoid of an opportunity to wield it, suffers the same fate as unutilized Spanish instruction. The time-tested colloquialism is accurate: use it or lose it.

2. Property and privileges will be lost if they are not utilized.
    • 2010 — Oliver Berry, Brittany & Normandy, Lonely Planet (2010), page 328:
      Once you buy a Prem's ticket, it's use it or lose it — getting your money back or changing the time is not allowed.
    • 2011 — Marq De Villiers, Our Way Out: Principles for a Post-Apocalyptic World, McClelland & Stewart (2011), page 310:
      The legal rationale was simple: in much of the west, water rights operate under the "use it or lose it" principle. If you don't use the water, others had the right to appropriate it and use it themselves.
    • 2011 — Jim Northrup, Anishinaabe Syndicated: A View from the Rez, Minnesota Historical Society Press (2011), page 32:
      Judge Crabb said that Indians were not logging in treaty times, so they shouldn't be allowed to log today. In other words, use it or lose it.
    • 2012 — Kevin Bleyer, Me the People: Or, One Man's Quest to Rewrite the Constitution of the United States of America, Random House (2012), page 307:
      The way I see it, if you don't care, you shouldn't count.
      So there you are: If you don't vote in this election, you don't get to vote in the next one. Use it or lose it.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Θα περάσει κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Ίσως καλύτερα με ουδέτερο, ακόμη και όταν αφορά γνώσεις: αν το αφήσεις, θα σε αφήσει

Παραλλαγή: αν το ξεχάσεις, θα το χάσεις
    Wer die Wahrheit nicht weiß, der ist bloß ein Dummkopf. Aber wer sie weiß, und sie eine Lüge nennt, der ist ein Verbrecher!
    We base decisions on facts, not superstition, not what our ideology tells us but rather what we can observe

δεῖ δὲ χρημάτων, καὶ ἄνευ τούτων οὐδὲν ἔστι γενέσθαι τῶν δεόντων
    Η Ελλάδα είναι Ευρώπη, η Ευρώπη είναι Ελλάδα!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16