metafrasi banner

I want to place an order for delivery/ takeout

cosmasad

Dear friends,

Trying to avoid going in to restaurants in Greece to avoid inadvertently spreading the virus (for 14 days since we just arrived from the very heavily infected U.S.).

In this spirit, we are wondering would it be correct to say "Θελω να σας δωσω μια παραγγελια για διανομη" when you want to call an order to a restaurant and have it delivered?

And if you want to place the order over the phone but pick it up yourself, would you say "Θελω να σας δωσω μια παραγγελια για πακετο"?

How about when you are checking out in a supermarket and you want to have it delivered, how would you say "Could you please deliver this?":s

Thank you.

Cosmas

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
When calling a restaurant asking for delivery, you can simply say "Έχω μια παραγγελία". This usually means that they must deliver. They might ask you if you want to pick it up yourself or want it delivered, and then you answer accordingly.

When calling to order something to pick up yourself, you can say "Έχω μια παραγγελία, θα περάσω εγώ να την πάρω".

When checking out at the supermarket and want your shopping delivered, you can ask "Μπορεί να γίνει αποστολή στο σπίτι;" This is because very few supermarkets in Greece deliver to homes. If you already know that they do deliver, you can say at the time you start checking out "Παρακαλώ να παραδοθούν στο σπίτι".

The above are far from the only ways to say the same things. Some will say only "Παραγγελία, παρακαλώ σημειώστε". Or I would say "Παρακαλώ σημειώστε μια παραγγελία".
Some will start the call by reciting their phone number and address, and the person at the other end knows that this is about placing an order, and after writing down these details, they ask you "What do you want to order?"

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Θέλω μια παραγγελία για πακέτο = you go there and you pick it up [restaurants]
Θέλω αυτά που αγόρασα να μου τα φέρετε σπίτι = you go there and you ask to have what you've shopped delivered to your place [super-markets]
Θέλω να κάνω μια παραγγελία για ντελίβερι = I want to give an order and have my order delivered to me [restaurants]

cosmasad

Θέλω μια παραγγελία για πακέτο = you go there and you pick it up [restaurants]
Θέλω αυτά που αγόρασα να μου τα φέρετε σπίτι = you go there and you ask to have what you've shopped delivered to your place [super-markets]
Θέλω να κάνω μια παραγγελία για ντελίβερι = I want to give an order and have my order delivered to me [restaurants]

Oh, wow, guys this is very helpful. Just out of curiosity is the expression "Θελω να σας δωσω μια παραγγελια για διανομη" not right, or too "wooden"?

Thank you.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, wow, guys this is very helpful. Just out of curiosity is the expression "Θελω να σας δωσω μια παραγγελια για διανομη" not right, or too "wooden"?

Thank you.
I would say not natural enough for a native speaker.