to have a mortgage on something (metaphorically speaking)

pontios

Είναι μια φράση που χρησιμοποιώ, και που ακούω κάπου κάπου (μπορεί και να την παρακούω; ), αλλά δεν τι βρίσκω πουθενά στο internet, και αναρωτιέμαι γιατί;

.. με την έννοια (νομίζω) - "εξασφαλίζω (κάτι) για τον εαυτό μου", ίσως και "καπαρώνω κάτι πριν (με) προλάβει κάποιος (άλλος) - along the lines of: "secure something for myself" or "steal the march on something (over someone else)"

Has anyone else come across this phrase? ... I just want to confirm its meaning and that I'm not just imagining it.

I even joined an English-language forum specifically to inquire about this phrase about 3 years ago .. and no-one on that forum had come across it - I think you can even find my query on the internet.

Είναι μια φράση που χρησιμοποιώ, και που ακούω κάπου κάπου (μπορεί και να την παρακούω; ), αλλά δεν τι βρίσκω πουθενά στο internet, και αναρωτιέμαι γιατί;

.. με την έννοια (νομίζω) - "εξασφαλίζω (κάτι) για τον εαυτό μου", ίσως και "καπαρώνω κάτι πριν (με) προλάβει κάποιος (άλλος) - along the lines of: "secure something for myself" or "steal the march on something (over someone else)"

Has anyone else come across this phrase? ... I just want to confirm its meaning and that I'm not just imagining it.

I even joined an English-language forum specifically to inquire about this phrase about 3 years ago .. and no-one on that forum had come across it - I think you can even find my query on the internet.

Κάτι βρέθηκε νομίζω:
to have a mortgage on something: to have a moral claim in regard to a matter
(N.E. Renton, Metaphorically Speaking -a dictionary of 3.800 picturesque idiomatic expressions, Warner Books 1992: p. 186

Το βιβλίο πρέπει να ανακτάται εάν γκουγκλίσει κανείς π.χ. Metaphorically Speaking nc.sch24.r4

Στα ελληνικά έχουμε ανάλογη μεταφορική έκφραση, νομίζω, το «εγγράφω υποθήκη/υποθήκες [για το μέλλον]», δηλ. επιτελώ/επιτυγχάνω κάτι που «μετράει», έχω μια θετική παρουσία σε κάτι:

«Εβραϊκής καταγωγής, με λαμπρές σπουδές και αδελφό επίσης στην κυβέρνηση, ο Μίλιμπαντ χτίζει σιγά σιγά το προφίλ του εγγράφοντας υποθήκες για το μέλλον.» (ΒΗΜΑ 29/9/2008)

«Ετσι, δεν εγγράφει μόνο υποθήκες για το μέλλον (στο πρότυπο του Αιγαίου) αλλά αποκτά ένα διπλωματικό χαρτί για τυχόν διαπραγματεύσεις.» https://www.b2green.gr/

Ομως, συνάμα, εγγράφει υποθήκες για το μέλλον μέσω της δέσμευσης διαφιλονικούμενων (και μη) περιοχών (ΤΑ ΝΕΑ 1/12/2018)

«που καθιερώνει ύφος πολιτικού πολιτισμού και εγγράφει υποθήκες αντιμετώπισης των κοινών προβλημάτων». https://www.agriniopress.gr/ 28/5/2019

εγγράφει ”υποθήκες” σε βάρος της ελληνικής υφαλοκρηπίδας αλλά και της ΑΟΖ, https://esoptron.gr/

pontios

Κάτι βρέθηκε νομίζω:
to have a mortgage on something: to have a moral claim in regard to a matter
(N.E. Renton, Metaphorically Speaking -a dictionary of 3.800 picturesque idiomatic expressions, Warner Books 1992: p. 186

Το βιβλίο πρέπει να ανακτάται εάν γκουγκλίσει κανείς π.χ. Metaphorically Speaking nc.sch24.r4

Μπράβο, πολύ καλό εύρημα. Ένα και μοναδικό!
"to have a mortgage on something" μου φέρνει τώρα στο νου "to stake a claim on something" (με την βοήθεια του "moral claim" που αναφέρεται στο εύρημα σου) ... και αναφέρεται (νομίζω) σε κάποιον που λογίζεται ο (πλέον) άξιος διεκδικητής για κάτι (για τον τίτλο, το δημαρχιακό θώκο, κτλ).

So, a rightful or worthy contender could "stake their claim on something" or could/would "have a mortgage on something."
e.g., he/she "has a mortgage on the title", on the midfield role, etc.. or he/she has "staked his/her claim on the leadership", on the nation's top role, etc...

Το άλλο που ανέφερες στη δεύτερη ανάρτηση σου .. το "εγγράφω υποθήκη" μου ακούγεται σαν το "mortgage one's future", αλλά μπορεί να μην σημαίνει το ίδιο;
To 'mortgage one's future" είναι σαν να λέμε .. "to bet one's future" ,"stake/risk my future (on something)"
See the 2nd definition (figurative), below.

Definition of mortgage the/one's future
1. to borrow a large amount of money that will have to be paid back in the future The city has mortgaged its future to pay for the new stadium.

2. figuratively
Some critics say that she has mortgaged her political future on a program that is likely to fail.

Το άλλο που ανέφερες στη δεύτερη ανάρτηση σου .. το "εγγράφω υποθήκη" μου ακούγεται σαν το "mortgage one's future", αλλά μπορεί να μην σημαίνει το ίδιο;
To 'mortgage one's future" είναι σαν να λέμε .. "to bet one's future" ,"stake/risk my future (on something)"
See the 2nd definition (figurative), below.

Definition of mortgage the/one's future
1. to borrow a large amount of money that will have to be paid back in the future The city has mortgaged its future to pay for the new stadium.

2. figuratively
Some critics say that she has mortgaged her political future on a program that is likely to fail.

Όχι, αυτή είναι η κυριολεκτική σημασία της φράσης "υποθηκεύω το μέλλον μου"/ "υποθήκευσε το μέλλον των επόμενων γενεών με αυτή την ενέργεια" κλπ, που όντως αναφέρεται σε αποκλειστικά δυσμενείς επιπτώσεις μιας πράξης κλπ.

Ενώ η φράση "εγγράφω υποθήκη/υποθήκες (για το μέλλον)" αναφέρεται σε αποκλειστικά θετικές επενέργειες της πράξης του ενεργούντος υποκειμένου.

pontios

Όχι, αυτή είναι η κυριολεκτική σημασία της φράσης "υποθηκεύω το μέλλον μου"/ "υποθήκευσε το μέλλον των επόμενων γενεών με αυτή την ενέργεια" κλπ, που όντως αναφέρεται σε αποκλειστικά δυσμενείς επιπτώσεις μιας πράξης κλπ.

Ενώ η φράση "εγγράφω υποθήκη/υποθήκες (για το μέλλον)" αναφέρεται σε αποκλειστικά θετικές επενέργειες της πράξης του ενεργούντος υποκειμένου.

Okay, κατάλαβα.
Σε ευχαριστώ για τη βοήθεια - πάντως, δεν τη φανταζόμουν (τη φράση).

Για τη δεύτερη περίπτωση (τη θετική) ... ίσως "he (Miliband, etc) can write his own ticket (for/to the future)" ("ticket", and not "mortgage"). :)

writing his own ticket

Okay, κατάλαβα.
Σε ευχαριστώ για τη βοήθεια - πάντως, δεν τη φανταζόμουν (τη φράση).

Για τη δεύτερη περίπτωση (τη θετική) ... ίσως "he (Miliband, etc) can write his own ticket (for/to the future)" ("ticket", and not "mortgage"). :)

writing his own ticket

Εδώ το β) από το ΜΗΛΝΕΓ του Πατάκη:
http://lexicon-neohel.patakis.gr/el/lexikon/lemma?id=78478

cougr

¥
I'm surprised I missed this thread initially and only randomly came across it now.
I've definitely come across the phrase many times and am familiar with its metaphorical sense (at least in the way it's used in Australia).
Strangely enough I can't find any entries in dictionaries on the figurative use of the phrase in the ways I'm familiar with, but I've always understood that if someone or something has the mortgage on something, it implies that they are either the frontrunners in a competition or contest, or that they are otherwise the outright leaders (ie. the best or masters) at something. At some stage I'll come back with a few examples.

Last edited:

cougr

¥
I forgot to mention that "having the mortgage on something" can also mean having a special claim or exclusive rights to something.

Edit: Which I now note has already been canvassed previously.

Last edited:

pontios

Thanks, cougr.
That's how I sense this phrase, too - if you "have a mortgage on something" means to me (and I agree with you here) you're considered the frontrunner, the leader - someone who has earned the right to be considered the "rightful claimant" (which I see is a legal term, but I don't mean it this way),
Someone who can (or has earned the right to) stake a claim on something.

I too am baffled that there are no entries in dictionaries on the figurative use of the phrase to support this.

cougr

¥
It definitely appears to be an Australian idiom. Here's a few examples which illustrate how it's commonly used:

It seemed a marriage made in heaven: the Germans have the mortgage on engineering precision, the Italians are the masters of style.

... many punters are adamant the Hawks have a mortgage on the premiership this year.

Barrring major injuries or suspension, the Inverell Saints appear to have a mortgage on this year's Tamworth AFL Premiership.

Sydney may have the better players but Queensland have the mortgage on passion.

The problem is that they think they have the mortgage on brains,....

The armed forces do not have the mortgage on planning. Nor do they have the mortgage on getting it right

We don’t believe we have the mortgage on knowledge, and there’s a lot we’ve learned from working with those cultures that has now been instilled across the company as well.

I don't, though, however have a view that I have the mortgage on all the good ideas.

pontios

Thanks, cougr. Some good examples, there.
I have a feeling that it might be used in New Zealand, too?