Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: παίζω στα γόνατα

παίζω στα γόνατα

Good evening!
    Is it an idiom?
    Thanks in advance.

"Αυτή, η Παριζιάνα, η τσαχπίνα, η μπιρμπιλομάτα, που έπαιξε στα γόνατά της τις τέσσερις Μεγάλες Δυνάμεις και που τη χαιρετούσαν τέσσερις μεγάλοι στόλοι!" (Βίος και Πολιτεία του Αλέξη Ζορμπά)
    Γιατί το Φως είναι ένα, αδιαίρετο, κι οπουδήποτε νικήσει ή νικηθεί, νικάει και νικιέται και μέσα σου.

she had her own way with them, she did with them as she pleased

from the image of an adult having a baby on their knees and playing with it, hence treating someone like a puppet
    Θεωρητικά, θεωρία και πράξη είναι το ίδιο πράγμα. Στην πράξη, όμως, διαφέρουν.
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Quote Originally Posted by altan View Post
    Good evening!
    Is it an idiom?
    Thanks in advance.

"Αυτή, η Παριζιάνα, η τσαχπίνα, η μπιρμπιλομάτα, που έπαιξε στα γόνατά της τις τέσσερις Μεγάλες Δυνάμεις και πού τη χαιρετούσαν τέσσερις μεγάλοι στόλοι!" (Βίος και Πολιτεία του Αλέξη Ζορμπά)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFRQQ-foL1g

Quote Originally Posted by anepipsogos View Post
    ταχταρίζω, ταχτάρισμα

νταχτιρντί του λέγανε
    και μου το παντρεύανε
    και του δίναν για προικιά
    ένα κόσκινο φλουριά
    When this you see, remember me and bear me in your mind, let all the world say what they may, speak of me as you find.

Quote Originally Posted by daeman View Post
    she had her own way with them, she did with them as she pleased

from the image of an adult having a baby on their knees and playing with it, hence treating someone like a puppet
    It looks like in Turkish one: parmağında oynatmak (to play someone on finger).
    Γιατί το Φως είναι ένα, αδιαίρετο, κι οπουδήποτε νικήσει ή νικηθεί, νικάει και νικιέται και μέσα σου.

Quote Originally Posted by altan View Post
    It looks like in Turkish one: parmağında oynatmak (to play someone on finger).
    That one in Greek is παίζω κάποιον στα δάχτυλα.
    But when not referring to a person, it means to be adept at something, e.g. τα φορουμικά τα παίζω στα δάχτυλα.

Quote Originally Posted by daeman View Post
    Συναφές με το είναι του χεριού μου / τον έχω του χεριού μου, τον επηρεάζω απόλυτα, ώστε να ενεργεί όπως θέλω εγώ.
    Οι μεταφραστές είναι σαν νίντζα: αν τους αντιληφθείς, δεν είναι καλοί. -Ετγκάρ Κέρετ

My website: Translations Traducciones Μεταφράσεις

Και, με την ευκαιρία, εδώ τη σωστή μετάφραση την έχει ο Γουάιλντμαν:

This elegant Parisienne, this tantalising woman men could not resist and who, in her time, had bounced the four great Powers on her knee, and had been saluted by four naval squadrons!

Ο Πίτερ Μπιν κάνει λάθος:

all the troubles of the Parisienne, the roguish-eyed coquette who frolicked on the knees of four Great Powers and received salutes from four great fleets.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Βρε, θα περάσει κι αυτό!
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

The literal translation is bir bebek dizinin üstünde oynatmak. Usually people do this with their children, have them on their lap and move their knees up and down so that the baby kind of dances. The metaphorical translation is what Daeman said.
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by AoratiMelani View Post
    Συναφές με το είναι του χεριού μου / τον έχω του χεριού μου, τον επηρεάζω απόλυτα, ώστε να ενεργεί όπως θέλω εγώ.
    Υπάρχει σχέση για την έκφραση αυτή, με την ευκολία για την εκτέλεση μαθηματικών πράξεων από τους μαθητές, στην αριθμητική τής πρώτης δημοτικού;
    Αυτές τις λεπτομέρειες αγάπησα σε εσένα και είναι αυτές που δίνουν νόημα στη ζωή μου.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast