metafrasi banner

I think he's dishonest

cosmasad

Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding the closest Greek phrase (colloquial) for labeling someone as "dishonest" meaning that "he's a cheat" as in "tax cheat" or hiding income...

"Δεν είναι ειλεικρινείς" doesn't seem quite right. That feels more like "He's not sincere".

:huh:

Thank you.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
How low would you like to go?

I guess you're not interested in almost official terms like απατεώνας, φοροφυγάς, φοροκλέφτης.

Λαμόγιο is a fairly recent all-around term which however made it even to the Parlament (the entry in the pic is from the newest, under construction, ΜΗΛΝΕΓ).

Or maybe you can use a phrase: «Αυτός είναι να μετράς τα δάχτυλά σου όταν του δίνεις το χέρι σου».

Καταγραφή.JPG

cosmasad

Thanks for asking. I don't want to go as low as "απατεώνας" - that's harsh. I would say the range would be from sneaky to dishonest but not a downright crook :)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Ανέντιμος is high register, not-so-low in meaning, and very close to "dishonest" literally.

+1

Also «δεν είναι καθαρός» or «δεν παίζει καθαρά», a tad lower in register.

Could we have something more on the register to be used, an example perhaps?

cosmasad

Here's some examples, drsiebenmal,

'I discovered the contractor was being dishonest. His invoices had inflated expenses.

I don't want to be a dishonest landlord and hide income from the tax department.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Thanks, cosmasad. I guess you can use "ανέντιμος" in both cases. Personally I would prefer the slightly less formal negation "δεν ήταν/ δεν είμαι έντιμος".

Ανακάλυψα ότι ο εργολάβος δεν ήταν έντιμος. Οι δαπάνες στα τιμολόγιά του ήταν φουσκωμένες.
Δεν θέλω να μην είμαι έντιμος σπιτονοικοκύρης και να κρύβω εισόδημα από την εφορία.