Thread: ψαλμουδική φωνή

ψαλμουδική φωνή

Good morning to all,
    I see that word at Kazantzakis' ΟΙ Α∆ΕΡΦΟΦΑ∆ΕΣ (με τη βαριά ψαλμουδική φωνή του, ...) and ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ ΣΤΟΝ ΓΚΡΕΚΟ (με κε διαβάζουν με δυνατή, ψαλμουδική φωνή το Κοράνι.)

I wonder its root is whether ψαλίδι or ψαλμός?

Thanks in advance.
    Γιατί το Φως είναι ένα, αδιαίρετο, κι οπουδήποτε νικήσει ή νικηθεί, νικάει και νικιέται και μέσα σου.

The root is "ψαλμός". This appears to be one of those words coined by Kazantzakis, and bringing to mind the word "ψαλμωδός", psalmist, and a voice belonging to such a person, i.e. a drawling, strong, melodic manner of speaking. When saying "psalmist" here, I have in mind a psalmist of the Eastern Orthodox Church/
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

The word already exists as ψαλμωδική. From ψαλμωδία, psalmody, a colloquial form of which is ψαλμουδιά. Hence, Kazantzakis' colloquial ψαλμουδική.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Άντε, πέρασε κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Πιάσε κόκκινο!
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Άντε, πέρασε κι αυτό
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

[Το χάι σκορ μας είναι τέσσερις στο ίδιο λεπτό, όμως ]
    The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".
    -Isaak Asimov

Very thanks. By the way, at P. Biens' translation of ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ ΣΤΟΝ ΓΚΡΕΚΟ, I see it as "incantatory".
    Γιατί το Φως είναι ένα, αδιαίρετο, κι οπουδήποτε νικήσει ή νικηθεί, νικάει και νικιέται και μέσα σου.

Quote Originally Posted by altan View Post
    "incantatory"
    A beautiful choice.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bk....0.s6E7Vva3Sf8