You will corrupt me

cosmasad

Good evening friends,

Any thoughts on what is the best way to say "You will corrupt me" in Greek?:s

Thanking you in advance.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean the literal "Θα με διαφθείρεις"?
Or the figurative "Θα με κακομάθεις"? (i.e. "you will spoil me")

Δεν μπορώ να μην υπενθυμίσω ότι εδώ, όπως και στις σαφώς περισσότερες περιπτώσεις, το "Με κακομαθαίνεις" και το "Με καλομαθαίνεις" είναι συνώνυμα.

pontios

Δεν μπορώ να μην υπενθυμίσω ότι εδώ, όπως και στις σαφώς περισσότερες περιπτώσεις, το "Με κακομαθαίνεις" και το "Με καλομαθαίνεις" είναι συνώνυμα.

Ναι, όμως, υπάρχει μια διαφορά με το (να είσαι) κακομαθημένος και καλομαθημένος .. ή το φαντάζομαι;
To me, anyway ... κακομαθημένος can also describes someone who is badly behaved (possibly, as a result of a bad upbringing, maybe, where they've been spoilt when they should have been disciplined and corrected .. or just a bad upbringing, in general) - whereas, καλομαθημένος mostly describes someone who is spoilt, mollycoddled (or maybe even someone who has had a good upbringing)?

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Καλομαθημένος also has negative connotations. It does not mean someone who has had a good upbringing.

pontios

Καλομαθημένος also has negative connotations. It does not mean someone who has had a good upbringing.

Ευχαριστώ, Palavra. :)

The difference may be that one has turned out to be unruly and badly behaved, a spoilt brat (ο κακομαθημενος - or there's an association of this "brattishness", at least) - while the other is just accustomed to being mollycoddled (and maybe expects to be pandered to) but is otherwise an okay person.

cosmasad

Thank you all for the replies. It is true that the two phrases become synonymous at times, but the nuance I was hoping for is when someone follows the rules but then over time is influenced by his friends or colleagues to break them. I think that "Θα με κακομάθεις" sounds right.

pontios

... or, maybe "θα με παρασύρεις" (maybe, even, "παραπλανήσεις"); .... in the case of α "friend" leading you astray, leading you into bad habits?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
"θα με παρασύρεις"

Not a common expression in this context, but one I use often when someone is successfully leading me to temptation, as, for example, when I'm presented with food that will easily add two kilos to my girth, is: "Με παρασύρεις στον όλεθρο!"

pontios

Not a common expression in this context, but one I use often when someone is successfully leading me to temptation, as, for example, when I'm presented with food that will easily add two kilos to my girth, is: "Με παρασύρεις στον όλεθρο!"

Έχεις δίκιο.
"Παρασύρθηκα από τους φίλους μου" (i.e., past tense) suits better - or makes more sense (after all, if you've been led astray "over time", and realised it, it would be something you'd realise after the fact, only).
"Θα με παρασύρεις/Θα με παρασύρουν οι φίλοι μου" means that you're playing along and letting yourself be led astray - i.e., allowing yourself to be tempted, or that you're corruptible.

Then again -- "you will corrupt me" indicates that you are aware of it - so it's a strange/unusual context, unless it's said jokingly.