metafrasi banner

Very awkward sentence to put into Greek!

I tuned too steeply out of my drive and broke the side light of my car. When I took it into the garage, the comment of the mechanic who looked at it said the following:-
"Not to put too fine a point on it, your sidelight's buggered if you'll excuse my French!"
Is there a Greek colloquial word for 'buggered' equally unacceptable in Greek polite society, as the addition of 'if you'll excuse my French' apologises for the potentially offensive language. There are scores of ways of saying in Greek 'not to put too fine a pointon it' as well as 'if you'll excuse my French' & I know most of these but ithe difficulty is trying to find a Greek word for 'buggered' which is equally natural in Greek conversation and equally offensive that the speaker feels necessary to tone down with με το συμπάθιο/αν μου επιτρέπεται η έκφραση/αν μου επιτρέπετε την έκφραση/συγγνώμη για την έκφραση/με συγχωρείτε για την έκφραση κτλ. The whole sentence may need recasting to sound natural in Greek, & not mere translationese.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Σε ανάλογη περίπτωση, ο μηχανικός θα έλεγε πιθανότατα:

«Για να μην το ψειρίζουμε, το φανάρι σας γαμήθηκε, με το συμπάθιο.»

In recent years, a new phrase replaces the older-generation "με το συμπάθιο": «Με την καλή έννοια» (meaning the opposite):

«Για να μην το ψειρίζουμε, το φανάρι σας γαμήθηκε -- με την καλή έννοια.»

Να 'σαι καλά, Δρ. Κι άλλη χρήσιμη έκφραση το 'με την καλή έννοια'. Ούτε εγώ τον έχω ακούσει το ρήμα 'ψειρίζω.':)