metafrasi banner

I wouldn't put anything past him

infml:- I would not be surprised if someone did something:
-I wouldn’t put it past Helena to tell a secret, especially if it helped her in some way.
What is the informal colloquial Greek for this common English expression?

pontios

For the time being ...

Από την Έλενα/τον τάδε, «όλα τα περιμένω» (ή, «το περίμενα») .... ή «ήταν αναμενόμενο».

«Τίποτα δεν θα με εξεπληττε» (just came to me).

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
The most natural translation of this in Greek is: ικανή την έχω την Έλενα να πει ένα μυστικό, ιδίως αν κάπως θα τη βοηθούσε. This means that we don't know if she has told a secret or not, just that the speaker expects her to do so if convenient for her.

Other variations:
Για όλα τον/την έχω ικανό/-ή, όλα να τα περιμένεις από αυτόν/-ήν.

"να" here introduces uncertainty and asks someone to do something. It would translate as "you should expect anything from her"

Ήταν αναμενόμενο means "this was to be expected".

pontios

The most natural translation of this in Greek is: ικανή την έχω την Έλενα να πει ένα μυστικό, ιδίως αν κάπως θα τη βοηθούσε. This means that we don't know if she has told a secret or not, just that the speaker expects her to do so if convenient for her.

Other variations:
Για όλα τον/την έχω ικανό/-ή, όλα να τα περιμένεις από αυτόν/-ήν.

"να" here introduces uncertainty and asks someone to do something. It would translate as "you should expect anything from her"

Ήταν αναμενόμενο means "this was to be expected".

Thanks, Palavra.
Για όλα τον έχω ικανό = “I see him capable of anything”, which is close in meaning (and it’s more natural, as you point out).

Το “ήταν αναμενόμενο” - means what you said; but I meant it from the point of view that the wayward behaviour of the person concerned ( this loose cannon who’s capable of anything) - that “it’s par for the course”/ hardly surprising/ only to be expected, seeing it’s coming from them (the person they’ve shown themselves to be).

Σας ευχαριστώ όλους, ειδικά τη Παλαύρα.

BTW, Παλαύρα, έχεις λάβει κάποιο ειδοποιητήριο (ή περισσότερα ενός) απ' εμένα; Δυσκολεύομαι να τα στείλω. :(

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Το “ήταν αναμενόμενο” - means what you said; but I meant it from the point of view that the wayward behaviour of the person concerned ( this loose cannon who’s capable of anything) - that “it’s par for the course”/ hardly surprising/ only to be expected, seeing it’s coming from them (the person they’ve shown themselves to be).

The important element to keep in mind here is that this behaviour has not yet come to pass, or that we don't know if it has. So, your alternatives work better if you use a modal verb: It would be hardly surprising/it would be par for the course/It would be typical for her to etc.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Σας ευχαριστώ όλους, ειδικά τη Παλαύρα.

BTW, Παλαύρα, έχεις λάβει κάποιο ειδοποιητήριο (ή περισσότερα ενός) απ' εμένα; Δυσκολεύομαι να τα στείλω. :(

Sorry, my inbox was full. Emptied it now, so could you try again?

pontios

The important element to keep in mind here is that this behaviour has not yet come to pass, or that we don't know if it has. So, your alternatives work better if you use a modal verb: It would be hardly surprising/it would be par for the course/It would be typical for her to etc.

Good point, Palavra.
First time I've heard of the modal verb - but in any case, it's obvious to me now that there was a modal verb there "I wouldn't put it past him", which I've ignored.

Ένα σύντομο σχόλιο περί των τροποποιητικών ρημάτων: το τροποποιητικό ρήμα είναι μια λέξη που χρησιμοποιείται συχνά στις σύγχρονες γλώσσες. Στα ελληνικά και στα λατινικά προκύπτουν σπάνια τέτοιου είδους ρήματα. Αντί το να έχει τροποποίηση, έχουμε κλίση ρήματος.
Εδώ είναι ένα αρθρίδιο στα αγγλικα περί του θέματος:-

Α modal verb in grammar is a verb (such as can, could, shall, should, ought to, will, or would) that is usually used with another verb to express ideas such as possibility, necessity, and permission. Μπορώ & πρέπει express certain aspects of modality but the very frequent use of να + υποτακτική is the usual equivalent of modality in modern languages.