ρεπούμπλικα και τραγιάσκα

What is the difference between these two hats? Which one is the traditional dress of the ντερβίσης in the τεκέδες; In the song Και οι γκόμενες φορέσανε τραγιάσκες [which Neikos has given me invaluable help in translating into English], what type of hat is envisaged---that of the μάγκας or the French beret? :confused:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
ρεπούμπλικα = fedora

ρεπούμπλικα η [repúblika] : είδος ανδρικού καπέλου από χοντρό ύφασμα (κετσέ) και με γύρο.
[ιταλ. repubblica `δημοκρατία΄, ίσως επειδή ζητωκραυγάζοντας «δημοκρατία» πετούσαν στον αέρα τέτοια καπέλα, σύμβολα αντιμοναρχικών επαναστάσεων, σύγκρ. τραγιάσκα]

τραγιάσκα = flat cap or
"cabbie cap, gatsby cap, longshoreman's cap, cloth cap, scally cap, Wigens cap, ivy cap, derby hat, jeff cap, duffer cap, duckbill cap, driving cap, bicycle cap, Irish cap, newsboy cap, crook cap, Vergon hat, Joao's hat, sixpence, or a paddy cap, and in regional varieties: in Scotland as a bunnet, in Wales as a Dai cap, and in New Zealand, as a cheese-cutter.
The style can be traced back to the 14th century in Northern England, when it was more likely to be called a "bonnet", which term was replaced by "cap" before about 1700, except in Scotland, where it continues to be referred to as a "bunnet"."

Ζήτω και αντίο (trăïască και サヨナラ)

Thanks, 'Man. What is the name of the traditional hat the μάγκας wears?:) Is it καβουράκι;

Neikos

Φορούσαν και ρεπούμπλικα και καβουράκι, που μάλλον είναι ρεπούμπλικα με στενότερο γείσο. Έβαζαν και μια μαύρη κορδέλα στο καπέλο, που λεγόταν χλίψη (θλίψη), ένδειξη πένθους για τους νεκρούς φίλους, ή, κατά άλλους, για τους φόνους που είχε κάνει o μάγκας, πραγματικούς ή φανταστικούς.
Νομίζω ότι αρχικά τραγιάσκα φορούσαν μόνο οι μπας κλας μάγκες, αλλά αργότερα πρέπει να άρχισε να φοριέται από όλους, όπως φαίνεται και στο τραγούδι του Μάρκου.

Thanks for the invaluable information, Neikos. I gather from slang.gr that μπας κλας is from the French basse classe not from the English bus class. I have seen somewhere a diagram of the μάγκας with all his characteristic items of wear labelled. Sorry I was late in answering---the house has been so busy with visitors!:)