θεοπαρμένος

altan

Hi,
What does this word mean?

"... κι από βαθιούς αντίλαλους θεοπαρμένου αόρατου αρμόνιου." (From Report to Greco.)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. The obvious meaning is “taken by God”, or, as an old Greek-French dictionary has it, “pris de Dieu”.

Bien translates this as “a divinely enraptured [organ]”. Let me add “God-enraptured”.

It seems that Kazantzakis has used this rare adjective in at least two more works. I’ll look for the other translations.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Ο ραβίνος μια φορά, στα νιάτα του, διαβάζοντας τον Ιεζεκιήλ, πετάχτηκε απάνω θεοπαρμένος, φώναζε, έκλαιγε, χόρευε, μα δεν αλάφραινε…

Once while reading the prophet Ezekiel the rabbi had been swept away by God. He jumped up, shouted, wept and danced, but still did not find relief.

(The Last Temptation of Christ, translated by Peter Bien)

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Πέρασε ο καιρός που παρουσιάζουνταν στους ανθρώπους με το αληθινό του πρόσωπο, με κέρατα, με ουρά, με φλόγες· πονηρεύτηκαν οι άνθρωποι, πονηρεύτηκε κι αυτός· κι απόψε, νά, μπήκε στο κελί του σαν αγνός, θεοπαρμένος καλόγερος, με σιδερένιο σταυρό στο στήθος...

Gone were the days when Satan appeared before men in his true form—with horns, a tail, and the flames. Men were wiser and slyer now; and, tonight, Satan had entered the cell as a pure God-inspired monk with a cross hanging from his neck.

(The Fratricides, translated by Athena Gianakas-Dallas)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. The obvious meaning is “taken by God”, or, as an old Greek-French dictionary has it, “pris de Dieu”.

Bien translates this as “a divinely enraptured [organ]”. Let me add “God-enraptured”.

It seems that Kazantzakis has used this rare adjective in at least two more works. I’ll look for the other translations.

Θεοκρουσμένα (from the poem at Epilogue of Report to Greco)

What’s Θεοκρουσμένα literally? Bien translates as “Rapt in God”.