Corporate jargon in English: any Greek matching horrors

The top ten most annoying phrases of English corporate jargon:

1) touch base = to meet /talk about an issue.
2) blue-sky thinking/thinking outside the box = creative thinking.
3) we're on a journey = highlighting the fact that a company team or project has not yet reached its mission or objective.
4) game changer = a product/process/idea that represents a significant shift.
5) no-brainer = claiming that something is an irrefutably good idea.
6) thought shower = a meeting to share ideas, without considering practical limitations.
7) run it up the flagpole = present an idea and see if it generates a reaction.
8) if you don't like it, get off the bus = implying that a colleague should leave a company if unhappy.
9) it's not rocket science = it doesn't require a genius to understand it.
10) there's no 'I' in team = success is achieved not by any single individual, but through the group coordinating their efforts together.

This is the list of management-speak horrors. Any Greek parallels? I think this thread going to be a 'work in progress(!)':curse::devil::down:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Γραφειογλώσσα: Δεν είναι πρόβλημα, είναι πρόκληση

Trying not to say something

[h=1]game changer[/h]
blue-sky thinking

to think outside the box [lateral thinking]

push the envelope

τρένο: ταυτίστηκε σημειολογικά με το ΠΑΣΟΚ. Εξού και η φράση «όποιος διαφωνεί, να κατέβει από το τρένο». Στη Ν.Δ χρησιμοποιούν συνήθως το βουκολικότερο παράδειγμα του μαντριού («Οποιος μείνει έξω από το μαντρί τον τρώει ο λύκος»).
...​

The odd dialect called EU English

A brief list of misused English terminology in EU publications

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
to be not rocket science = δεν είναι (δα) και καμιά επιστήμη :)
It's not rocket science. Just screw in the bulb and flip the switch.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rocket_science

Αν και πολύ συχνά χρησιμοποιούμε τη σύναψη με το «[δεν χρειάζεται να είσαι] πυρηνικός επιστήμων / επιστήμονας».

Και "δεν είναι πυρηνική φυσική". Εξαιτίας αυτού άλλωστε υπάρχουν άτομα που πιστεύουν ότι rocket science = πυρηνική φυσική.

Rocket Man - William Shatner

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Steven Poole. Who Touched Base in My Thought Shower?
A treasury of unbearable office jargon

160pp. Sceptre. £9.99.
ISBN 978-1444-78184-7

Jargon, if used at the correct time around the correct people, can serve as an efficient way to refer to shared knowledge. In the right company, it is probably perfectly acceptable to ask somebody to “draw me up an accountability matrix” or “hold the ring” (meaning to take responsibility of a project). In other situations, however, as Steven Poole rightly argues in Who Touched Base in My Thought Shower?, “fluency in the idiom is a kind of cheap competence that often masks a lack of competence in anything that matters”. Office vernacular does the opposite of proper jargon: it maddeningly “complicates simple ideas, deflects blame and obscures problems”. It is a language that has become “viral”, as the abundance of terms in Poole’s treasury demonstrates —and deserves its infamy for being, as the subtitle indicates, “unbearable”. As Poole puts it: “when people hear such buzzwords in the office, they want to stab someone in the eye with a pen”.

Although mostly written in a tongue-in-cheek, colloquial style, this book also succeeds in being informative and enlightening on a vexing subject. Poole provides, where appropriate, interesting historical anecdotes and explores not only the modern usage of words, but their etymological roots, tracing the bureaucratic use of “push the envelope”, “heads up” and “on my radar” to military language, and “deep dive” and “close of play” to sport. Such sources are telling: in Poole’s view, “a lot of office jargon is engineered to jolly its targets along by making the fluorescent-lit days sound more exciting and important”.

The running joke of Who Touched Base in My Thought Shower? does start to wear thin eventually, however, and some of the author’s most interesting observations come not in the body of the book, which is mostly made up of jokes, but in the preface’s perceptive account of office jargon and its usage --especially the sinister use of language that dehumanizes workers (download, interface) and absolves management of responsibility (euphemisms for sacking people: demising, resizing). A book based on laughing, even in exasperation, over office jargon in fact sheds light on the purpose and the psychological effect of office language as a whole.

Claire Hazelton

TLS November 29, 2013

[h=1]I rest my case[/h]
I rest my case. :p

Let them come in! I shan't remember the unmemorable. :);) There's no 'I' in team is difficult to render in Greek. Δεν υπάρχει εγώ σ' ομάδα'..... συγγνώμη. :(

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Αν μου τύχαινε σε κείμενο η 7) run it up the flagpole θα χρησιμοποιούσα για τη μετάφραση κάποιο από τα βγάζω στη γύρα, βγάζω στο κλαρί ή βγάζω στο μεϊντάνι, αλλά θα έπρεπε κάπως να είναι σαφές ότι η αναφορά είναι σε ιδέα ή είδηση και όχι σε γυναίκα (ιδίως για τα δύο τελευταία)...

Για το 10) there's no 'I' in team, κάτι σαν η ομάδα δεν σηκώνει εγωισμούς ή δεν χωράνε εγωισμοί στην ομάδα.

Για το 1) touch base θα μπορούσε να χρησιμοποιήσει κανείς διάφορα, περιγραφικά συνήθως. Αν μετέφραζα κάποιο μυθιστόρημα και τη χρησιμοποιούσε ο διευθυντής της εταιρείας, μπορεί να έφτιαχνα κάτι που να μοιάζει ζάργκον αλλά να είναι κατανοητό κι από τους απέξω, π.χ. Να ευθυγραμμιστούμε ή να συντονιστούμε, να βεβαιωθούμε ότι τα ρολόγια μας δείχνουν την ίδια ώρα κ.ο.κ.

Thanks, Dr, for your suggestions. I liked your Να βεβαιωθούμε ότι τα ρολόγια μας δείχνουν την ίδια ώρα. I suppose it's similar to 'singing from the same song/hymn sheet? 'There's no 'I' in team is difficult' because of the English pun, which isn't easily translated into Greek. The best I can come up with so far is to find some play on words with άτομα and ομάδα. Perhaps a colleague can juggle with these two word and come out with a passable Greek pun to match the English one.

'There's no 'I' in team is difficult' because of the English pun, which isn't easily translated into Greek. The best I can come up with so far is to find some play on words with άτομα and ομάδα. Perhaps a colleague can juggle with these two word & come out with a passable Greek pun to match the English one.
Αυτό που ζητάς, Θησέα, νομίζω ότι είναι αδύνατον. Κι αυτό επειδή το "Ι" στα αγγλικά είναι γράμμα του αλφαβήτου αλλά έχει και αυτοτελές νόημα σαν λέξη, ενώ στα ελληνικά δεν υπάρχει τίποτα αντίστοιχο. Επομένως, πάντα ανάλογα με τα συμφραζόμενα, θα πρέπει να αρκεστούμε στην απόδοση του νοήματος, π.χ.: Στην ομάδα δεν υπάρχει το 'εγώ', υπάρχει μόνο το 'εμείς'.

Αν ήμουν ένας πολύ κακός και σκληρός μάνατζερ, θα έλεγα: δεν έχει ωμέγα η ομάδα (-ω, η κατάληξη του πρώτου προσώπου ενεστώτα) και θα απέλυα όσους δεν το έπιαναν.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Αυτό που ζητάς, Θησέα, νομίζω ότι είναι αδύνατον. Κι αυτό επειδή το "Ι" στα αγγλικά είναι γράμμα του αλφαβήτου αλλά έχει και αυτοτελές νόημα σαν λέξη, ενώ στα ελληνικά δεν υπάρχει τίποτα αντίστοιχο. Επομένως, πάντα ανάλογα με τα συμφραζόμενα, θα πρέπει να αρκεστούμε στην απόδοση του νοήματος, π.χ.: Στην ομάδα δεν υπάρχει το 'εγώ', υπάρχει μόνο το 'εμείς'.

Επιπλέον, υπάρχει (κάποιου είδους, τελοσπάντων) -ι- στο team. Δηλαδή είναι ΚΑΙ ηχητικό το λογοπαίγνιο στα αγγλικά.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Αν ήμουν ένας πολύ κακός και σκληρός μάνατζερ, θα έλεγα: δεν έχει ωμέγα η ομάδα (-ω, η κατάληξη του πρώτου προσώπου ενεστώτα) και θα απέλυα όσους δεν το έπιαναν.

—Δεν έχει ωμέγα η ομάδα, έχει όμικρον, έναν κύκλο όπως εμείς, πιασμένοι χέρι-χέρι. Και το 'να χέρι νίβει τ' άλλο.
—Και τα δυο το πρόσωπο. Μουτζώνουνε. Όρσε, κύριε καταμέγα, να μη σου τα χρωστάω. Μη με απολύσετε, φεύγω μόνος μου.

Been there, done that, got the scars from endless, purposeless, worthless «team empowerment» meetings to prove it.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member

Μαρίνο, έδωσες ιδέα όμως!

Δεν υπάρχει εγώ στην εργομάδα

Και σε πινακίδα στην είσοδο της εταιρείας: Δεν είμαστε ωμάδα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Και σε πινακίδα στην είσοδο της εταιρείας: Δεν είμαστε ωμάδα.

Συνθηματιστί: Ωμάδα, κρυάδα για γροθοπατινάδα!

Συνωμοτιστί: «Ωμάδα» λέει. Εσύ μας ψήνεις το ψάρι στα χείλια!

Συνωμοτικές ωμότητες.

rogne

¥
Περί ομαδικότητας, η κλασική παπαρολογία το γνωστότερο κλισέ είναι νομίζω το "(πρέπει να) είμαστε ενωμένοι σαν γροθιά". Φαντάζομαι θα έρθει όπου να 'ναι ο Δαεμάνος να προσθέσει και το αντίστοιχο λεξι-νήμα ;-)

SBE

¥
Τheseus, you must also remember that the Greek economy does not consist of large corporation after large corporation of people who talk the talk etc. The majority of employees in Greece works for a different type of company and even in large companies they tend to be a little less cliche ridden than the UK/ USA equivalent.
Speaking of which, a few years ago one large multinational company took its employees on a team building exercise by coach. Shortly after they left, the coach was hijacked by some masked and armed men. What the employees did not know was that the exercise was the hijacking, and the hijackers were actors. Unfortunately for all, a passer buy witnessed the hijacking and called the police who arrested everyone and the company were then persecuted for wasting police time and half a dozen other things. I think that proves that Greece is not the country for management speak and certain management practices.