on behalf of

pontios

If a speech is delivered in the first person and on behalf of others, where it would be reasonable to expect that the speaker is also speaking on their own behalf (see example below), is it safe to assume that it would be interpreted in this way? - would the speaker still need to explicitly state "and (on behalf of) myself" in the example below?

Father of the bride:

"On behalf of my wife, I welcome my wonderful new son-in-law into our family."
Do you need to add "and myself" ... "on behalf of my wife and myself"?
It just sounds like overkill, that's all.

Και στα Ελληνικα (στην ιδια περιπτωση);

pontios

"On behalf of myself" sounds somewhat stilted, too(and unnecessary), as the speech is in the first person (in the given example) - I mean, who else would you be speaking on behalf of (apart from your wife)? - but I think it's necessary. You're right.

"On behalf of my wife, also"?

SBE

¥
If you say "on behalf of my wife" it means that you are not talking about yourself but you are expressing your wife's opinion, feelings etc.

If you are speaking for both of you, you ought to say it.

pontios

If you say "on behalf of my wife" it means that you are not talking about yourself but you are expressing your wife's opinion, feelings etc.

If you are speaking for both of you, you ought to say it.

Yes, I thought as much.
Just thought I better kick the tyres (all the same) and look under the hood to make sure. I appreciate your help (and nickel's) :)