Karagouna revisited (with apologies!)

I apologise for my absence but I am recovering from having our beloved dog of thirteen years put to sleep because of a rapid spread of secondary growths owing to thyroid cancer.
I would like to know what the old lady says after τα ποτάμια παγωμένα. She seems to use a different passive participle as well as saying τα νερά are something, certainly not κρυσταλλωμένα. What are the perfect passive participles she uses to describe the rivers & the waters. Otherwise the song follows the usual words. By the way, the performance by this old lady seems more authentic than several of the other YouTube clips.
Incidentally, is there a technical term for the stick with which the young lady in the clip beats her washing? :confused:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Incidentally, is there a technical term for the stick with which the young lady in the clip beats her washing?

κόπανος ο [kópanos] : 1. κομμάτι χοντρού ξύλου με το οποίο χτυπούσαν τα ρούχα, όταν τα έπλεναν, για να καθαρίσουν καλύτερα ή χτυπούσαν καρπούς για να τους αποφλοιώσουν και να τους θρυμματίσουν. ΦΡ το γουδί*, το γουδοχέρι και τον κόπανο στο χέρι. τα μυαλά* σου και μια λίρα και του μπογιατζή ο κόπανος. 2. (μτφ.) για άνθρωπο τελείως κουτό και ανόητο: Tι είπες, βρε κόπανε; [ελνστ. ή μσν. κόπανος < αρχ. κόπανον τό `γουδοχέρι΄ μεταπλ. με βάση την αιτ.]

Καραγκούνα πάει να πλύνει
κι ο Βοριάς δεν την αφήνει.
Άσε με Βοριά να πλύνω
και νυφούλα θες να γίνω
να τα πλύνω να τα απλώσω
να στεγνώσουν πριν νυχτώσω.

Δεν ψάχνω τώρα για σκηνές από τη Γκόλφω και τέτοια, με νιές και γριές να πλένουν στο ποτάμι (άβατο για τους άντρες, και γιατί έπεφτε και το απαραίτητο μασλάτι).
Ωραίο το χειροκίνητο πλυντηριάκι, θυμήθηκα και την ξύλινη σκάφη της γιαγιάς με την «πλύστρα» (εκείνο το ξύλο σε σχήμα τραπεζοειδές, με τα ξύλινα ή μεταλλικά αυλάκια όπου έτριβαν τα ρούχα, washboard) και τον κόπανο, με πράσινο σαπούνι ιδίας παρασκευής, αλισίβα (κασταλαγή), λουλάκι, σόδα, δαφνόφυλλα και λεμονόφλουδες για ν' αρωματιστούν, όχι με απορρυπαντικά, μαλακτικά, αρωματικά και έτερες χημικές υπερδυνάμεις (και της γιαγιάς μου το μπουγαδοκόφινο :laugh:). Σ' εκείνη τη σελίδα περιγράφονται «Σκηνές καθημερινής ζωής» από παλιές εποχές - ανάμεσα σ' αυτές και το πλύσιμο των ρούχων, πολύ βαριά δουλειά τότε, και μετά το βάσανο του σιδερώματος.

Για τα υπόλοιπα δεν προφταίνω τώρα, αλλά κάποιος θα βρεθεί πιο εύκαιρος.

Συλλυπητήρια, Θησέα. My sympathies.

Neikos

She seems to use a different passive participle as well as saying τα νερά are something, certainly not κρυσταλλωμένα. What are the perfect passive participles she uses to describe the rivers & the waters. Otherwise the song follows the usual words.

Τα ποτάμια θολωμένα, τα νερά κοκαλωμένα.

Θολωμένα : murky

Κοκαλωμένα : frozen solid

Στην αρχή νομίζω κάνει λάθος και λέει παλωμένα αντί για παγωμένα, και θελωμένα αντί για θολωμένα.
Αν τα ακούω σωστά βέβαια.

Thanks so much for your condolences, 'Man, & for all the info on traditional washing technical terms. The facts you supplied are invaluable. BTW, does γιατί έπεφτε και το απαραίτητο μαλσάτι mean 'and because also the necessary tittle-tattle occurred [why 'necessary'? Does it refer to women's talk?]?
Thanks also Neikos for supplying me with the missing vocabulary. I knew the old lady didn't use κρυσταλλωμένα ( I'm not really sure what 'crystallised waters' exactly means!). 'Murky' & 'frozen solid' make admirable sense.:)

Neikos

I knew the old lady didn't use κρυσταλλωμένα ( I'm not really sure what 'crystallised waters' exactly means!).

Κρυσταλλωμένα νερά means frozen or, figuratively, very cold.

Some relevant words :

κρουσταλλιάζω

[κρούσταλλο]

- (για νερό) παγώνω, γίνομαι κρύσταλλο, "κρουστάλλιασε το νερό"

- (για σωματικά άκρα) κρυώνω πάρα πολύ, παγώνω, κοκαλιάζω

- καλύπτομαι από κρυστάλλους πάγου (για επιφάνεια)

κρύσταλλος : καθαρός και διαυγής πάγος

παγοκρύσταλλος : icicle

In this sentence from Daeman Δεν ψάχνω τώρα για σκηνές από τη Γκόλφω και τέτοια, με νιές και γριές να πλένουν στο ποτάμι (άβατο για τους άντρες, και γιατί έπεφτε και το απαραίτητο μασλάτι)., I can't figure out the meaning of έπεφτε & απαραίτητο in this context. Can anyone explain? Thanks. :(

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
έπεφτε: took place repeatedly

14. (σε ποικίλες εκφορές ή εκφράσεις για να δηλωθεί ότι κτ. γίνεται κατ' επανάληψη και κατά κόρο): Πέφτουν τουφέκια / τουφεκιές / πιστολιές, ακούγονται ή ρίχνονται πολλές τουφεκιές. || (για ξυλοδαρμό κτλ.): Πέφτει ξύλο. Πέφτουν γροθιές / καρεκλιές. || Πέφτουν βρισιές, ακούγονται, λέγονται πολλές βρισιές. Πέφτει γέλιο / κλάμα, γελούν, κλαίνε πολύ. || Πέφτει φαΐ / τραγούδι / χορός.

απαραίτητο: inevitable, essential

μασλάτι: chatter, gossip

Elizabeth Cust

Adolphe Theodore Jules Potemont

Paul Gauguin

Τα βάσανα της πλύστρας - Ρόζα Εσκενάζυ

Τι καβγάδες στην αυλή
τι ξερίζωμα μαλλί
τι βρισιές η μια στην άλλη
μου ζαλίσαν το κεφάλι

Thanks, 'Man, for the translation and the wonderful illustrations: a picture is worth ten thousand words. So some Chinese proverb is supposed to say. I can translate the full song from which you have quoted a verse but I'm not sure what this colloquial introduction is meant to mean. What is the drift? The singer of the song seems to be telling someone else to go to hell. Is it because this other person is prettier and a better washerwoman than her, so she is jealous? But why αδερφέ (masculine)? And what does the reference to the violin waking her up mean?

Άκουσε να σου πω σήμερα είναι η σειρά μου να πλύνω.
Σειρά σου, σειρά μου δεν έχει. Εγώ έχω ξένα ρούχα να παραδώσω τ’ ακούς;
Απ’ τον καιρό που ήρθες μες στην αυλή, άνω κάτω μας έχεις κάνει.
Άμα δε σου γουστάρει στρίβε απ’ εδώ. Α στα κομμάτια!
"Μα τι βιολί είναι αυτό με σας βρε αδελφέ να μην μας αφήνετε να κοιμηθούμε.
Πότε με τις μπουγάδες σας, πότε με τα σφουγγαρίσματα, ωχ βρε αδερφέ επιτέλους πια!"
Ορίστε κι ένα φιγουρίνι που παρουσιάστηκε. Α στο διάολο από δω πέρα!
:confused::curse::(

SBE

¥
Βρε αδερφέ! is not a gendered expression and does not specifically refer to a man or a woman.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
The figurative use of «το βιολί του» refers to the persistent repetition of an irritating habit. Example:

Χίλιες φορές τού είπα να μη φωνάζει το μεσημέρι, αλλά αυτός το βιολί του.

SBE

¥
Άκουσε να σου πω σήμερα είναι η σειρά μου να πλύνω.
Hey you, listen to me, today it's my turn to launder.

Σειρά σου, σειρά μου δεν έχει. Εγώ έχω ξένα ρούχα να παραδώσω τ’ ακούς;
There's no your turn, my turn. I have to deliver the laundry to a client (so the woman is a πλύστρα, not washing her own clothes but ξένα ρούχα)

Απ’ τον καιρό που ήρθες μες στην αυλή, άνω κάτω μας έχεις κάνει.
Since you moved here in the courtyard, you have upset everything.
Αυλή: a type of housing common in poorer neighbourhoods in the past, consisting of a quadrangle of houses with a communal inner courtyard, sharing some facilities. The close proximity necessitated the establishment of unwritten rules of cohabitation, such as taking turns for the laundry, which the newcomer has ignored, creating strife between neigbours.

Άμα δε σου γουστάρει στρίβε απ’ εδώ. Α στα κομμάτια!
If you don't like it, get lost. Go to hell!

"Μα τι βιολί είναι αυτό με σας βρε αδελφέ να μην μας αφήνετε να κοιμηθούμε.
(Clearly a third person, but I have not listened to the clip) Oh, bother! What habit is that of yours, not letting us sleep.

Πότε με τις μπουγάδες σας, πότε με τα σφουγγαρίσματα, ωχ βρε αδερφέ επιτέλους πια!"
It's the laundry one time, the mopping the next, enough of this! (ωχ βρε αδερφέ is an amplifying interjection here, so no need to translate)
Mopping= and presumably throwing the dirty water at your neighbour's patch and causing arguments.

Ορίστε κι ένα φιγουρίνι που παρουσιάστηκε. Α στο διάολο από δω πέρα!
(Back to the previous interlocutors) There, there, look what the cat dragged in! Go to hell!
Yep, I always wanted to use the cat expression :-)
Φιγουρίνι (the model and the magazine with the pictures of clothes on models) was a word we used a lot at home and I suppose when used for a person like here it means someone who thinks of himself as a model of behaviour or something like that.

So, an argument between a laundress and a neighbour whose turn it is to use the facilities, interrupted by someone who is annoyed about the noise.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αυλή: a type of housing common in poorer neighbourhoods in the past, consisting of a quadrangle of houses with a communal inner courtyard, sharing some facilities. The close proximity necessitated the establishment of unwritten rules of cohabitation, such as taking turns for the laundry, which the newcomer has ignored, creating strife between neighbours.

Great job, SBE! Speaking of αυλή, two excellent works of my time, Kambanellis' play Η αυλή των θαυμάτων and the Finos Film movie Οι κυρίες της αυλής are just about this feature of Greek life.

Thanks to Nickel for his explanation of the word βιολί & the background (also derived from SBE) to the word αυλή but especially to her for the time and effort taken by her on my behalf. Her help is invaluable. This sort of passage increases my ability to understand colloquial speech with its pauses, fillers and rapid change of thought. I only expected the general drift of what the passage was about but SBE has given me far more than I asked for. By the by, I found it odd that the song that 'Man quoted a stanza from had this strange introduction.:clap::blink::D