χαρβάτειο

Both Nickel & Daeman have used this word & there seems a similar word χαρβάτι, usually capitalised. What is the meaning of the title word & is Harvati merely a name?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, it's a name. The name of a distinguished forum member, namely dharvatis.

Όσο για την προέλευσή του, Θησέα, δες το χαρβάτειο νήμα, Η χώρα με τη σκακιέρα στη σημαία:

Αφού λοιπόν είμαστε γλωσσικό φόρουμ, αξίζει νομίζω να αναφέρουμε ότι το εθνικό όνομα των Κροατών έχει δώσει τρεις διαφορετικές παρέες λέξεων στη γλώσσα μας. Η πρώτη είναι από το εθνικό όνομα Κροάτης. Προέρχεται από την Κροατία, που προέρχεται κι αυτό από το μεσαιωνικό λατινικό Croatia, που προέρχεται με τη σειρά του από το εθνώνυμο του λαού στη γλώσσα του. Η βίκη γράφει:
The name of Croatia derives from Medieval Latin Croātia, from Dux Croatorum ("Duke of Croatians") attested in the Branimir Inscription, itself a derivation of North-West Slavic *Xrovat-, by liquid metathesis from proposed Common Slavic *Xorvat-, from proposed Proto-Slavic *Xarwāt- (*Xъrvatъ) or *Xŭrvatŭ (*xъrvatъ). The origin of the name is uncertain, but is thought to be a Gothic or Indo-Aryan term assigned to a Slavic tribe. The oldest preserved record of the Croatian ethnonym *xъrvatъ is of variable stem, attested in the Baška tablet in style zvъnъmirъ kralъ xrъvatъskъ ("Zvonimir, Croatian king").

Αυτό το Χόρβατ που σώζεται ακόμη ως εθνώνυμο π.χ. στα ουγγαρέζικα (Horvath) κι εκείνο το Χάρβατ που θα είδατε μέσα στο παράθεμα της βίκης θα σας οδήγησε ήδη στα ελληνικά, Χαρβάτης και Χαρβάτι. Αυτή είναι η δεύτερη παρέα λέξεων που έχουμε στα ελληνικά από το κροατικό εθνώνυμο — κι εδώ πρέπει να παρατηρήσει κανείς ότι η παρουσία τόσων Χαρβατιών στην Ελλάδα, ακόμη και έξω από την Αθήνα, αναμφίβολα πρέπει να λέει κάτι για την εθνότητα των κατοίκων της περιοχής, τουλάχιστον κατά την εποχή της σλαβικής επέκτασης προς το Νότο στο γύρισμα της πρώτης μ.Χ. χιλιετίας. (Ωραίο είναι το απόσπασμα στην ελληνική βίκη, άρθρο Παλλήνη): Θέση της σύγχρονης πόλης αποτελεί το ιστορικό κέντρο του αρβανίτικου οικισμού "Χαρβάτι", λέξη άγνωστης ετυμολογίας. Κατά μία εκδοχή, οφείλει το όνομά του στον Κροάτη Πασά και μεγαλοτσιφλικά της περιοχής Χαρβάτ.)

In such cases, -ειος (-εια, -ειο) is a suffix frequently used to produce adjectives and nominalized adjectives from proper names: Ανακρέοντας > ανακρεόντειος, Απόλλων > Απολλώνειο (also απολλώνιο), Αριστοτέλης > αριστοτέλειος, Αριστοφάνης > αριστοφάνειος, Βαρβάκης > Βαρβάκειος, Δράκων > δρακόντεια, ... ... Χατζηκυριάκος > Χατζηκυριάκειο, Σαραντάκος > Σαραντάκειο, Νίκελ > νικέλειο, δαεμάνος > δαεμάνειο, and so forth, similarly to -ian in English.

Since we're into suffixes, there's also -άδα, as in e.g. the homeric Ilion > Iliad > Ιλιάδα, the Virgilian Aeneas > Aeneid > Αινειάδα, so the Lexilogian epics: Themis > Θεμιάδα, daeman > Δαεμανιάδα. :-)

An old rule has it that such words are written with -ειο when referring to a mortal's name, but with -ιο when referring to a god's name, hence απολλώνιος, Ποσειδώνιο etc.

So, if and when dharvatis is deified, we should spell it χαρβάτιο.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
An old rule has it that such words are written with -ειο when referring to a mortal's name, but with -ιο when referring to a god's name, hence απολλώνιος, Ποσειδώνιο etc.

So, if and when dharvatis is deified, we should spell it χαρβάτιο.

Right. So Nickel is already deified, since he's got νικέλιο, right? :-)

As for me, I'd look forward to see the element δαεμάνιο. It should be mighty slithery, elusive, like unobtainium, shiver me timbers and bless me beard.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Right. So Nickel is already deified, since he's got νικέλιο, right? :-)

There was at least one forum where some of the members would call me θείο, which I found appropriate to interpret as meaning "divine". On the other hand, I'm sure you of all people don't need to be reminded that the German origin of the word "nickel" refers to a mischievous demon. Whatever. I'd rather be defied than deified.