Excerpts from Markos Vamvakaris' Autobiography

Earion

Staff member
A present for our new friend Theseus

When we got back home towards two in the afternoon, first, thorough washing —hair and everything, so as not to dirty the sheets. Next, some good solid food. Whatever there was in the house, beans, chickpeas, broad beans, pasta, dried salt cod, the daily fare. Then, naptime! I was just a kid and I’d be deadbeat. I’d fall on my bed and be out for the count till late afternoon, four or five. Later, we used to get up and go to the kafeneion but I didn’t go there so much. I used to go to other places and find pals my own age. Some of them worked in the shipyards and others in the glass works, all kinds of places. We’d sit and chew the fat, talk about girlfriends, this that and the other. It was round this time, when I was working in the coal, that I began to get all lovey-dovey with the girl who became my first wife. I had her on my mind.

In Tabouria I used to turn up pretty often at the house of a cousin of mine, Koula Rigoutsou. The girl I was in love with used to sit in the same courtyard. She was Orthodox, from the Peloponnese and she was called Zingoala. I went there a lot, just to see this tigress I wanted to marry later on. We tried hard to keep it secret, so her folks wouldn’t see us. I wasn’t worried about my family. They knew I was talking to her. Zingoala was always on the look out for a chance to talk to me on the sly. She’d go out to shop at the food store and I’d be waiting for her at the gate. Sometimes I’d meet her in the street and we’d have a chat. We said all the sweet nothings, ‘Give us a kiss’, ‘I’ll marry you, you’ll be my wife’, and ‘When shall we tie the knot?’ Maybe it’s a true saying, ‘Whoever loves you makes you cry’. We hadn’t got to know each other more than ten days before Zingoala called me ‘Frankish Dog!’

But still, for all the ‘Frankish Dog’, the love was pretty much like a thunderbolt. From the very first days it took hold of us and a year passed without the flame dying down. One day I grabbed her and we ran away. We stole off, ten o’clock at night, and later I took her home. She was a pretty, spirited girl, dark, lovely eyes and a beauty.

I Married Young

Fool that I was I married young
A sultry babe with a saucy tongue.

The wedding had just every sort
Of swank, like waiting in a court

To hear the sentence, ‘Married man,
Carry the load and carry the can’.

I took my wife, I paid the bill,
We took our stuff, went home to chill.

Woke next morning sweet and dozy,
Billing and cooing, very cosy.

She didn’t let me leave our home.
Chained by the nose I couldn’t roam.

I broke a cudgel on her nut
And I’m still running from that hut.

Μικρός αρραβωνιάστηκα

Μικρός αρραβωνιάστηκα
κορόιδο που πιάστηκα
και πήρα μια μπεμπέκα
μαγκιόρα για γυναίκα.

Στο γάμο μάγκα να ’σουνα
να δεις καλαμπαλίκι
σαν να ’μουνα υπόδικος
και περιμένω δίκη.

Και βγήκε η απόφαση
πως είμαι παντρεμένος
να κουβαλώ καθημερνώς
σαν γάιδαρος στρωμένος

Επήρα τη γυναίκα μου
παίρνω το μπουγιουρντί μου
τα σέα μου τα μέα μου
και βουρ για το τσαρδί μου.

Την άλλη μέρα ξύπνησα
τότε να δεις μεράκια
αφού δεν είχαμε ψιλή
αυτή ’θελε χαδάκια.

Να φύγω και να κουνηθώ
δε μ’ άφηνε απ’ το σπίτι
κι ένα χαλκά από σίδερο
μου κόλλησε στη μύτη.

Παίρνω ένα ξύλο από οξυά
κι απάνω της το σπάω,
της ρίχνω ξύλο αλύπητο
φεύγω κι ακόμα πάω.

.......................................................................................

Time flew by when we were stoned and we’d all get home late at night even with work the next morning. When I got home late all stoned on hashish I used to creep in very quietly so as not to wake my father. I was ashamed and I didn’t want to look him in the eye where I’d see all the pain he felt for me. He had the both of us on his hands too, me and my wife! He was eaten up with grief at my plunge into low life, and my mother, poor soul, who always wanted what was good for me, did a whole lot of complaining. I didn’t listen at all. She was in trouble with my father. They had rows about me and whose fault it was. The two younger brothers followed my example. One, Leonardhos, went nuts at the age of seventeen from hashish. He lived on as a total head case and died of hunger in the war. The other, Frangiskos, drank wine and turned into a scary guy who pulled knives. He ended up murdering somebody and went to prison.

So, like I said, after I’d been swept off course into this seedy life, I began to go through the bad experiences that went with it. One day they caught me in Sotirakis’ tekes along with five others. They put the arghile, the straws and the hashish into my hands and brought me in handcuffs with the others, along the quayside of Piraeus and Zea to the police station in Retsina Street. Beatings, kickings and the next day off to the magistrates’ court. Then two or three days in the clink and as many times as they caught us it was the same again. For me this adventure marked a turning point, the first night in a cell, fingerprints, magistrates’ court and all that.

Fix it Stavros

Κάν’ τονε Σταύρο

Fix it, Stavros, fix it up
Light the flame and cook it up.

Κάν’ τονε, Σταύρο, κάν’ τονε

Βάλ’ τον φωτιά και κάφ’ τονε.

Pass to Nikos crazy guy
Make the carpenter fly high.

Δώσε του Νίκου του τρελού
του μάστορα του ξυλουργού.

Smoke it, Yannis, make it hiss,
You’re the manghes’ teketzis.

Τράβα βρε Γιάννη αραμπατζή,
Που ’σαι μαγκιόρος τεκετζής.

There to Nikolakis give some
So he’ll stop us all being glum.

Δώσε του Νικολάκη μας
να βγάλει το μεράκι μας.

Let our Batis take a drag
our hellraiser, our old lag.

Τζούρα δώσε του Μπάτη μας,
του μόρτη, του μπερμπάντη μας.

....................................................................................

It wasn’t just that the bouzouki was the only thing that had the power to sweeten my miserable life but also I was remembering that time when the bouzouki was being hounded. I told you they were chasing us in the tekedhes. They were giving us a hard time and they didn’t want to hear about the bouzouki in any shape or form. But from that time onwards it was unstoppable. It had such power it went all over the place, even to the place where it’s at today. The other song was Osoi Echoune Polla Lefta, (recorded in 1936):

Those Monied Guys

Those monied guys I wish I knew
What the hell it is they do
With their money when they die.
Are they still loaded, —hey aman aman,
When up they fly?

The small change in my pocket,
I never put it by.
And all my sorrows melt away, —hey aman aman,
Only when I’m stoned and high.

In the other place
You cannot spend or show it.
Here on earth it saves your face—hey aman aman,
But what they don’t know’s how to blow it.

Όσοι έχουνε πολλά λεφτά

Όσοι έχουνε πολλά λεφτά
να ’ξερα τι τα κάνουν
άραγε σαν πεθάνουνε—βρ’ αμάν αμάν,
μαζί τους θα τα πάρουν.

Εγώ ψιλή στην τσέπη μου
ποτές δεν αποτάζω
κι όλα τα ντέρτια μου περνούν—βρ’ αμάν αμάν
μόνο σαν μαστουριάζω.

Αφού στον άλλο το ντουνιά
λεφτά δε θα περνάνε
τα ’χουν και τα θυμιάζουνε—βρ’ αμάν αμάν,
δεν ξέρουν να τα φάνε.

Markos Vamvakaris: the man and the bouzouki: autobiography. Εdited and translated by Noonie Minogue, Greek text complied by Angeliki Vellou-Keil. London Greeklines, 2015.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Εξαιρετικό, Εάριε!
Ας βάλω κι εγώ δυο ασματάκια του Μάρκου που μου αρέσουν.

Το πρώτο είναι η κλασική Φραγκοσυριανή, ένας μίνι τουριστικός οδηγός της Σύρου:

Μια φούντωση μια φλόγα|There's a burning ache
έχω μέσα στην καρδιά | in my heart
λες και μάγια μού 'χεις κάνει | as if you had cast a spell on me
Φραγκοσυριανή γλυκιά | you sweet Catholic girl

Θά 'ρθω να σε ανταμώσω | I will come meet you
πάλι στην ακρογιαλιά | once again by the sea
θά 'θελα να με χορτάσεις | I would like you to fill me
όλο χάδια και φιλιά | with kisses and caresses

Θα σε πάρω να γυρίσω |I will take you for a ride
Φοίνικα* , Παρακοπή | to Finikas, to Parakopi
Γαλησσά και Ντελαγράτσα** | to Galissas and to Delagratsa
και ας μού 'ρθει συγκοπή|Even if I have a heart attack

Στο Πατέλι, στο Νιχώρι|In Pateli, in Nihori
φίνα στην Αληθινή*** |a good time in Alithin
και στο Πισκοπιό ρομάντζα| and romancing all around Piskopio
γλυκιά μου Φραγκοσυριανή|My sweet Catholic girl

Για κάποια από τα χωριά δεν βρήκα αντιπροσωπευτικές φωτογραφίες.

Edit: As per Daeman's request (:twit:) I translated the lyrics; note that I translate Φραγκοσυριανός as Catholic, because Eastern Orthodox locals use (or rather used) it to refer to Syros natives (who are of Venetian descent and thus Catholics).
**Σήμερα γνωστή και ως Ποσειδωνία, ένα από τα ωραιότερα χωριά που θα δείτε ποτέ. Είναι γεμάτο με παλιά παραθεριστικά αρχοντικά των μεγαλοαστών που ζούσαν και δραστηριοποιούνταν στη Σύρο και είναι πραγματικά πολύ όμορφο.
***Αν δείτε στις φωτογραφίες να γράφει Μήτσος, μην απορήσετε. Αν τύχει και πάτε στη Σύρο, μην και δεν πάτε :) (ταβέρνα, πολύ ωραίο φαγητό, πολύ ωραία θέα. Μάλιστα, επειδή κάποτε η ταβέρνα λεγόταν «Αληθινή», εγώ άκουγα κάποτε το τραγούδι ως «...στο Πατέλι, στο Νιχώρι/πείνα στην Αληθινή...» :D:D)

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Χαράματα η ώρα τρεις.

Χαράματα η ώρα τρεις| At the crack of dawn, at three o'clock
θα ΄ρθω να σε ξυπνήσω| I will come to wake you up
κρυφά από τη μάνα σου να σε χαρώ|Unbeknownst to your mother, please
να βγείς να σου μιλήσω|come out so that I can talk to you

Δε θα μας δει άλλος κανείς|No one else will see us
μόνο το φεγγαράκι|only the little moon
έβγα στο παραθύρι σου να σε χαρώ|please, please come to your window
και δως μου ένα φιλάκι| and give me a kiss

Την μυστική αγάπη μας|our secret love
κρυφά να την κρατήσεις|keep it hidden
χίλια που να σου τάξουνε να σε χαρώ| even if they promise you a thousand rewards, I beg of you
να μην την μαρτυρήσεις|don't give it away

Να βάλω λοιπόν κι εγώ δυο αγαπημένα μου, όχι πολύ γνωστά (για να μη θαρρείτε πως ακούω μόνο Μεσιάν και Σαίνμπεργκ!):

Κλωστηρού

Πότε μες τα κίτρινα ντυμένη σε κοιτάζω
το λυγερό σου το κορμί κάθουμαι και θαυμάζω
που μέρα νύχτα δε βγαίνεις απ’ το νου μου Ι
αχ μαυρομάτα μου τσαχπίνα κλωστηρού μου

Κόκκινα σαν βάλεις αδελφούλα
πως ήθελα να σ’ έβρισκα μέρος που να `χει ζούλα
μπλε όταν φορέσεις πως μ’ αρέσεις
και τη καρδιά μου κλωστηρού μου έχεις κλέψει

Πότε μες τα κίτρινα ντυμένη σε κοιτάζω
το λυγερό σου το κορμί κάθομαι και θαυμάζω
που μέρα νύχτα δε βγαίνεις απ’ το νου μου Ι
αχ μαυρομάτα μου τσαχπίνα κλωστηρού μου

Κόκκινα σαν βάλεις αδελφούλα
πως ήθελα να σ’ έβρισκα μέρος που να `χει ζούλα
μπλε όταν φορέσεις πως μ’ αρέσεις
και τη καρδιά μου κλωστηρού μου έχεις κλέψει

Καραβοτσακίσματα

Βάσανα πίκρες φαρμάκια καραβοτσακίσματα ω!
σαν το βράχο που τον δέρνουν της θάλασσας τα κύματα
σαν το βράχο που τον δέρνουν της θάλασσας τα κύματα
βάσανα πίκρες φαρμάκια καραβοτσακίσματα

Τι φταίω και με παιδεύεις
αχ τι γυρεύεις κι αλλον λατρεύεις
δε μ'αγαπάς αχ πές μου το
γιατ' είμαι μόρτης φουκαράς
θα σβήσω πια δε θα ζήσω
δε θ'αγαπήσω, θα λησμονήσω
στα καραβοτσακίσματά μου μη γελάς

Μεσ στο σπίτι μου για σένα όλοι με μαλώνουνέ ω!
λένε ζόρικες κουβέντες που με φαρμακώνουνε
λένε ζόρικες κουβέντες που με φαρμακώνουνε
μεσ στο σπίτι μου για σένα όλοι με μαλώνουνε

Τι φταίω και με παιδεύεις
αχ τι γυρεύεις κι αλλον λατρεύεις
δε μ'αγαπάς αχ πές μου το
γιατ' είμαι μόρτης φουκαράς
θα σβήσω πια δε θα ζήσω
δε θ'αγαπήσω, θα λησμονήσω
στα καραβοτσακίσματά μου μη γελάς

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Ξέχασα να σας πω ότι όποιος βάζει τραγούδι με τους στίχους στα ελληνικά, πρέπει να τους μεταφράσει κιόλας στ' αγγλικά. :devil:

Όσοι γινούν πρωθυπουργοί όλοι τους θα πεθάνουν
τους κυνηγάει ο λαός απ’ τα καλά που κάνουν

Βάζω 'ποψηφιότητα πρωθυπουργός να γίνω
να κάθουμαι τεμπέλικα να τρώω και να πίνω
Να κάθουμαι τεμπέλικα να τρώω και να πίνω
Βάζ' υποψηφιότητα πρωθυπουργός να γίνω

Και ν’ ανεβαίνω στη Βουλή εγώ να τους διατάζω
να τους πατώ τον αργιλέ και να τους μαστουριάζω

Μ’ έστελν’ η μανούλα μου σχολειό μου να πηγαίνω
κι εγώ τραβούσα στο βουνό με μάγκες να φουμέρνω

Με μάλωνε ο δάσκαλος τα γράμματα να μάθω
κι εγώ από τη μαστούρα μου δεν έβλεπα να γράφω

Μη με βαράς, κυρ δάσκαλε, και μη μου κάνεις κόλπα
και δε μαθαίνω γράμματα, πόσες φορές σου το 'πα

Ετσάκωνε το χάρακα κι όλο με κοπανούσε
Με μαύριζ’ από τις ξυλιές κι ύστερα μ’ αμολούσε

Μ’ έστελν’ η μανούλα μου σχολειό για να πηγαίνω
κι εγώ τραβούσα στο βουνό με μάγκες να φουμέρνω

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Δαιμάνε, μου έκλεψες την ευκαιρία μου να κάνω το πολιτικό σχόλιο της ημέρας! :twit:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Δαιμάνε, μου έκλεψες την ευκαιρία μου να κάνω το πολιτικό σχόλιο της ημέρας! :twit:

Κάν' το σαν τον Μάρκο, κάν' το με τον Μάρκο. Ο Μάρκος λέει «όσοι γινούν».

Κάν' το όπως ο Μανούσος. :p

I now have the first chance to look at my gift: I am afraid that Thursday is grandchildren sitting. There is no time to look properly at Lexilogia. The poems are amazing. I shall let you know fully when I have spent much more time at reading the whole piece or set of pieces. A quick question for all colleagues:-
όμορφο.
***Αν δείτε στις φωτογραφίες να γράφει Μήτσος, μην απορήσετε. Αν τύχει και πάτε στη Σύρο, μην και δεν πάτε (ταβέρνα, πολύ ωραίο φαγητό, πολύ ωραία θέα. Μάλιστα, επειδή κάποτε η ταβέρνα λεγόταν «Αληθινή», εγώ άκουγα κάποτε το τραγούδι ως «...στο Πατέλι, στο Νιχώρι/πείνα στην Αληθινή...» )
Who is Mitsos here? The mannerless, unpolished, Mr 'horribly typical'? Or is it someone else? What does μην και δεν πάτε mean? A double negative? 'Don't not go' meaning 'you must go'?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
...What does μην και δεν πάτε mean? A double negative? 'Don't not go' meaning 'you must go'?

Don't even think about not going to... / Don't you dare not to go... (to not go?)

—Double negatives are very common in Greek for a negation, with... quite a few examples. And double positives, too.
—Yeah, right.

As for the rest, the writer is the best explainer, and I'm no spoiler. :-)

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
φίνα στην Αληθινή***|a good time in Alithini

The three stars go here. Alithini is a village in Syros; if you click on the link I provided, you'll see various pictures with a view. You'll also see a sign that reads "Mitsos". In case you wonder what Mitsos is doing there, I explained: it's a tavern, with good food and a great view. Many years ago, the tavern was named "Alithini", like the village, so when I heard this song by Markos, instead of "φίνα" στην Αληθινή (=a great time, in this case), I was hearing "πείνα" στην Αληθινή, hunger, for obvious reasons (maybe not so obvious, so I'd best explain: I'm a glutton :D)

Daeman explained the rest very well :)

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I would also like to add that I don't agree with the translation of Φράγκος/Φραγκοσυριανός as Frankish in this case. As I said above, this word in Syros only means "Catholic" - and I'm not sure that it is that much used nowadays by the younger generations. It also is slightly derogatory now, as people usually don't see why they need to define someone only by their religion.

As I also said above, due to the Venetian occupation of Syros in the 13th century, the Catholic population is the native population; the Greek Orthodox community was comprised by migrants, the first wave of whom arrived after the destruction of Chios and the second was attracted by the great economic and cultural development experienced in the island and not seen anywhere else in Greece -not even in Athens- which was unfortunately halted during the depression of the Interwar Period and finally ended by the Second World War.

Last edited:
Μήτσος

Thanks for elucidation on the double negative. Αnd what does αν δείτε στις φωτογραφίες να γράφει Μήτσος mean? I can't make sense of it. Thanks.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Thanks for elucidation on the double negative. Αnd what does αν δείτε στις φωτογραφίες να γράφει Μήτσος mean? I can't make sense of it. Thanks.
If you see on any of the photos the sign «Μήτσος»...

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Oh, dear lord, you guys, I'm dreaming of stuffed calamari and lambchops and its all your fault!

This is an interesting point! Some transitive verbs such as γράφει, λέει can have an intransitive and impersonal meaning. Thus, στις φωτογραφίες γράφει Μήτσος = in the pictures one reads "Mitsos"/it is written: "Mitsos".

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Στις φωτογραφίες γράφει «Μήτσος». No, it is not a subject, it's an object. «Γράφει» is an impersonal construction. You might say, for instance, «Μπορείς να μου πεις τι γράφει εδώ γιατί δεν φοράω τα γυαλιά μου;»