metafrasi banner

thank you very much!

I have asked this question on another forum & some of the results are not convincing. So I thought I would ask for comments on Lexilogia.
It is how a Greek might best express the sarcastic use of the above phrase in the following contexts; it is the same group of words as a normal, polite response, except that sarcasm is more in the tone than in the words themselves. Some examples of the context I'm looking for something that would fit in situations like these:

-'So did you actually manage to complete one press-up?"
"I did 30 press-ups, thank you very much!"

-"You should cook sometimes!"
"I cook almost every night, thank you very much!"

'-He was proud to say that he lived in a normal house, in a normal neighbourhood, and was perfectly normal, thank you very much!'
From the opening sentence of Harry Potter, translated into Modern Greek as ούτε περισσότερο ούτε λιγότερο(!).

Perhaps χωνέψ' το!/ και να.../ κι αν σ' αρέσει!/ η τα παράπονα στο δήμαρχο! Other suggestions were Παρακαλώ πολύ, και σε όποιον αρέσει παρακαλώ πολύ!Μα τι λές τώρα/ Ευχαριστώ πολύ για το ενδιαφέρον! & even καλά ξυπνητούρια! As a revered language teacher kept telling us,' It isn't the words, it is what a native speaker would say in such a context & it may differ from instance to instance'.:mad:

Last edited:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Έκανα 30 κάμψεις, παρακαλώ!

Μαγειρεύω σχεδόν κάθε βράδυ, παρακαλώ!

Of course there are alternatives, but this one, with the proper emphatic tone, does the job in many cases, orally at least, with the meaning of "no less" and conveying some indignation at what has been previously implied.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Έκανα 30 κάμψεις, παρακαλώ!

Μαγειρεύω σχεδόν κάθε βράδυ, παρακαλώ!.
Another option is with πολύ added for more emphasis. Also, with the order changed:

Έκανα 30 κάμψεις, παρακαλώ πολύ!
Μαγειρεύω σχεδόν κάθε βράδυ, παρακαλώ πολύ!

Παρακαλώ πολύ! Έκανα 30 κάμψεις!
Παρακαλώ πολύ! Μαγειρεύω σχεδόν κάθε βράδυ!

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Also, in some cases:
-"You should cook sometimes!"
"I cook almost every night, thank you very much!"

-Να μαγειρεύεις πότε πότε!
-Να μου κάνεις τη χάρη. Σχεδόν κάθε βράδυ μαγειρεύω.

Thanks, both. How would you translate the Harry Potter excerpt? Κι αν σ' αρέσει; Or χώνεψέ το;

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
I'd say:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Ο κύριος και η κυρία Ντάρσλεϊ, που έμεναν στην οδό Πρίβετ 14, ήταν περήφανοι που ήταν απολύτως φυσιολογικοί και να τους κάνετε τη χάρη.
Ο κύριος και η κυρία Ντάρσλεϊ, που έμεναν στην οδό Πρίβετ 14, ήταν απολύτως φυσιολογικοί και περήφανοι γι' αυτό, ευχαριστώ.

Νομίζω ότι τα ακριβέστερα αντίστοιχα είναι "Σε πληροφορώ ότι..." και "..., χαιρετίσματα".

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say:

Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Ο κύριος και η κυρία Ντάρσλεϊ, που έμεναν στην οδό Πρίβετ 14, ήταν περήφανοι που ήταν απολύτως φυσιολογικοί και να τους κάνετε τη χάρη.
Ο κύριος και η κυρία Ντάρσλεϊ, που έμεναν στην οδό Πρίβετ 14, ήταν απολύτως φυσιολογικοί και περήφανοι γι' αυτό, ευχαριστώ.

The Scots would say: "Mr and Mrs Dursley, o nummer fower, Privet Loan, were prood tae say that they were gey normal, thank ye verra much."

Thanks for this translation into Scots, 'Man! I didn't realise that such a translation had ever been made!