metafrasi banner

meta = αυτοαναφορικός

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Συγκεντρώνω εγγραφές για τη νεολογική χρήση του meta ως επιθέτου. Δεν έχω σκεφτεί ακόμα κάτι πιο απλό από το «αυτοαναφορικός», εκτός από αναδιατυπώσεις:

meta /ˈmɛtə/
adjective US
(Of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential:
the enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn’t review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/meta

A term, especially in art, used to characterize something that is characteristically self-referential.
"So I just saw this film about these people making a movie, and the movie they were making was about the film industry..."
"Dude, that's so meta. Stop before my brain explodes."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meta

Προσέξτε όμως αυτή την καλή ανάλυση:

Something is meta (and self-referential) if it is about itself. (Strictly speaking, you can be meta by being about the thing's own category, rather than this specific individual thing, but the key is "about".) If you substitute the word "about" where you see meta in a sentence longer than "it's meta", you will get close to the meaning, even though the sentence you make won't necessarily be grammatically correct. Some examples of meta things:

• in a meeting, time spent discussing the meeting itself - how long it will last, who will talk first, whether everyone can see the screen - is meta. It's about the meeting, rather than being about the topic the meeting is supposed to be about.
  • when a married couple is arguing about a decision (where to spend Christmas, let's say) and one of them says "you always interrupt me" or "don't yell" the argument has turned meta. They're arguing about arguing now, not about Christmas plans.
  • when a character in a TV show says to another character "this isn't a movie, this is real life" it's a little meta too, because of course it isn't real life, and by saying this, talking about their situation, they've brought up their own fictionality to you.
  • there are also books about writing a book, plays about being in a play, movies about making movies, and so on. Meta doesn't just apply to a conversation, a meeting, or an argument. In fact, the name of http://meta.english.stackexchange.com/ should make sense now - it's for questions and answers about questions and answers :-)

In my experience, Kids These Days call things meta if they are truly meta (arguing about the argument), or off topic, or just not what they wanted to talk about. Some of them love the self-referential thrill of meta (my youngest once used the new label maker we bought to make a label that said label maker and stuck it onto the label maker with delight), but most don't and think it's something to be avoided. Your kids may vary.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Καλύτερα να γράφω για τον άλλο Μέτα, τον Ζούμπιν.

Μήπως κάτι με το ενδο- θα ταίριαζε; Δεν μου 'ρχεται το δεύτερο συνθετικό...

crystal

Με γκρίζα επειδή είναι ελαφρώς εκτός θέματος, αλλά να το σημειώσουμε να βρίσκεται: στο gaming, το meta περιγράφει τις τάσεις του παιχνιδιού την τρέχουσα χρονική περίοδο, όπως αυτές διαμορφώνονται από τους χρήστες (επιλογές ηρώων και χαρακτηριστικών, στρατηγική κλπ).

daeman

Administrator
Staff member