The Definitive List of Social Media Acronyms and Abbreviations, Defined

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
The Definitive List of Social Media Acronyms and Abbreviations, Defined

Just today, I found out what SOV means.

Researching this post, in fact, was the first time I discovered the definition (SOV = “Share of Voice,” by the way!). I had seen it on social media articles and updates and never knew what it meant.

Do you have similar acronyms or abbreviations you’ve wondered about?

Our social media shorthand is amazingly extensive. We have acronyms and abbreviations for not only the marketing terms that we use but also the way that we chat back and forth with one another. I thought it’d be great to share some that seem to come up quite often.

I’ve collected over 140 social media acronyms and abbreviations and placed them here in this post, complete with definitions and quick navigation to help you find the terms you’re interested in. Let me know if there are others that you’ve noticed that didn’t make this list!

Index of Acronyms & Abbreviations:

Topic: Social media marketing
API B2B B2C BL CAN-SPAM CMGR CMS CPC CPM CR CRM CSS CTA CTR CX DM ESP FB FTW G+ GA HT HTML IG IO ISP KPI LI P2P PM PPC PR PV ROI RSS RT RTD SaaS SEM SEO SERP SM SMB SMM SMM SMO SMP SoLoMo SOV TOS UGC UI URL UV UX Via WOM YT

Topic: Social media communication

AFAIK AMA ASL b/c B4 BAE bc BFF BRB BTAIM BTW CC DAE DFTBA DGAF ELI5 EM EML F2F FaTH FBF FBO FFS FOMO FTFY FUTAB FYI G2G GG Gr8 GTG GTR HBD HMB HMU HTH IANAD IANAL ICYMI IDC IDK IKR ILY IMHO IMO IRL JK L8 LMAO LMK LMS LOL LOLz MCM MM MT MTFBWY NM NSFL NSFW NVM OAN OH OMG OMW OOTD OP ORLY OTP POTD PPL QOTD ROFL ROFLMAO SFW SMH TBH TBT TGIF Thx TIL TL;DR TLDR TMI TTYL TTYN TTYS Tx Txt w/ WBU WCW WDYMBT WOTD YMMV YOLO YSK YT
[...]

ELI5 – Explain like I’m 5 (years old)

This one is often seen on Reddit. It’s used to ask for a simple explanation to a complex topic.
Ex. “ELI5, how does wind work?”

[...]

In creating this post, I quickly put together a short and sweet quiz on some of the terms that appear in the glossary here. Test your knowledge to see which acronyms you know and which you might learn!

Kevan Lee
January 22, 2015

Μερικά σχετικά νήματα:

netspeak = δικτυογλώσσα

Ξένες συντομογραφίες και η προφορά τους

Internet Slang Words and Computer Slang

Txtng is gr8 4 language

Γηράσκω αεί ... κοκομπλοκαριζόμενος

YOLO = μια ζωή την έχουμε