Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: εξαιρετικό παρθένο ελαιόλαδο ή εξαιρετικά παρθένο ελαιόλαδο; εξαιρετικό παρθένο ελαιόλαδο

Απορίες.
    Αν η ονομασία εξαιρετικό κλπ. έχει καθοριστεί από τη δεκαετία του '50, τότε γιατί ή Ελαΐς κι όλοι αυτοί που ξέρουν από καλό τηλεοπτικό λάδι μίλαγαν για εξαιρετικά στις διαφημίσεις και τις ετικέτες;

My humble contribution to this discussion is that It seems that 'extra-virgin olive oil' means 'olive oil of exceptional quality, of the highest grade' δηλ. παρθένο ελαιόλαδο εξαιρετικής ποιότητας. In fact it used mainly to categorise olive oils in rank order in the supermmarkets. I prefer the above term since it keeps the branded name but is a better description.
    (Greece in fact produces more than 430,000 tons of olive oil annually, and more than 75% of that is extra virgin olive oil. This oil is naturally produced as extra virgin — nothing has to be done to it, as long as it’s kept fresh. Even the Italians know a good thing when they see it — many Italian manufacturers import Greek olive oil and blend it with their own oil!)
    I think SBE may be right in asking whether the term probably began with the supermarkets. Incidentally, the brand we have been using with an Italian label is in fact the product of five European countries (not Greece) & Morocco. I have been conned!
    I always used to get Kalamata or a good extra-virgin Greek olive oil. And several Italian varieties branded Toscano are very good too. I shall definitely change back to Greek next shopping expedition....

I wonder what the five European countries are. In any case, don't ever buy Filipo Berio or Bertoli olive oil again I made that mistake once, when I ran out and a shipment from Greece was far away, and I bought a tiny bottle of one of those. I could not find any use for it. It went in the bin. Within the reasonable price range and good quality, the only Italian olive oil I have found in UK supermarkets is one called "Il Casolare". Most Greeks I know in the UK who buy olive oil get "Kolymvari".

Spain, Tunisia, Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Portugal are the countries in order of olive oil production. On my now recycled and cleared out bottle Italy was put first, hence the manufacturers could claim it was 'extra-virgin Italian olive oil'.
    I now am ordering my Kavos olive oil online since our Tesco's has cheap (extra-virgin!?) olive oil to entice its customers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2