Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How does this sentence sound to you ?

I couldn't resist chiming in (especially since I taught Nickel many years ago and have been an editor most of my life). I'd adopt his gerund and idiom, and eliminate commas as follows:
    He decided, then and there, that his best chance of providing for his family during the Occupation was to stick to merchandising.

Delighted to have you chiming in Jacquelineditor but may I ask what "his gerund and idiom" refers to? It's got me slightly stumped.

I got it! No need to reply Jacqueline.

Thank you all and I need to watch my extra commas !

One thing still bothers me (regardless of which version of the sentence is chosen) ; we can safely say that :
    Merchandising offered him the most effective means, i.e., the best way of providing for his family ; but can merchandising ( as in the activity, itself) ever be considered a chance or the best chance (of providing for his family) ?
    His best chance maybe was via merchandising, but can his best chance be merchandising ?
    Is everyone following me ?
    I still see a flaw for some reason, within the original sentence itself as it's somehow equating chance with merchandising . I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself adequately.
    I deliberately left out the word/verb "continue",above, to simplify things, and in order to help me illustrate my point.

"chance" works ok, in a loose kind of way - if it were spoken language, very few people would even give it a second thought. It strikes me as more informal (rather than logically flawed) and to be dispreferred for that reason..
    Από μικρόθεν μου έλεγε ο γέρων ο παππούς μου
    παιδίν μου μάθε γράμματα και ωσάν εσέναν έχει

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquelineditor View Post
    ...especially since I taught Nickel many years ago ...
    People may now start talking about the monster you have created...
    Καλημέρα.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Αριστεία, ρε!
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Thanks again Philip.

How does this sound ?

He decided, there and then, that the most effective way of providing for his family during the Occupation remained merchandising.

or ?

He decided, there and then, that merchandising remained the most effective way of providing for his family during the Occupation.

Definitely the second one.
    Μένω ΕυρώπηΣύγκρουση ιδεών, όχι βία και μισαλλοδοξία: δεν οδηγούν πουθενά. (Λ. Κύρκος)Αριστεία, ρε!
    ΕΝΑ ΝΗΜΑ ΤΗΝ ΗΜΕΡΑ ΤΗΝ ΑΝΙΑ ΚΑΝΕΙ ΠΕΡΑ. Staying hungry, staying foolish. Το διαδίκτυο βλάπτει όταν δεν σκέφτεσαι.

Thank you nickel.

Here's one way, perhaps, to incorporate "chance" into the sentence (whilst adopting your gerund and idiom ) :

He decided, then and there, to stick to his merchandising ; he saw it as (still?) offering(or he saw that it offered/he could see that it offered/having determined, after determining that it still offered ?) the best chance to provide for his family during the Occupation.

Que pensez-vous?

Any chance of providing the original sentence in Greek?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast