metafrasi banner

not do things by halves = δεν κάνω μισές δουλειές

If you do not do things by halves, you always make a lot of effort and do things very well/to do things very thoroughly and with a lot of energy:-
-- 'I didn't realise you were decorating the whole house!' 'Oh, we don't do things by halves round here.'
More loosely it can also be used in a spirit of exasperation to refer to someone who, when his wife has run out of, say, dishwasher tablets and asks him to get a packet from the shop, he always buys not one but two replacements and fills the cupboard with spares.
--Can you get another packet of dishwasher tablets and i mean only one packet? I know you, you don't do anything by halves!!

Δεν κάνουμε μισές δουλειές.
Δεν κάνουμε τσουρούτικες δουλειές / πράγματα.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, sometimes it depends on whether it's just the job or just a chore, or even fatigue duty as in the case of Caius Pusillanimus (Κάιους Σπάρους ή Κάιους Σπαρίλους) :p:

Attachments

• Asterix_Caius Sparus_Pusillanimus.jpg
    Asterix_Caius Sparus_Pusillanimus.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 183

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
«​​Οι μισές δουλειές, μου 'λεγε κάποτε, οι μισές κουβέντες, οι μισές αμαρτίες, οι μισές καλοσύνες έφεραν τον κόσμο στα σημερινά χάλια. Φτάσε, μωρέ άνθρωπε, ως την άκρα, βάρα και μη φοβάσαι! Πιο πολύ σιχαίνεται ο Θεός το μισοδιάολο παρά τον αρχιδιάολο!»

Βίος και πολιτεία του Αλέξη Ζορμπά, Ν. Καζαντζάκης